Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would it be worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Would it be worth it?

I am looking at the Z51 Big Brake kit from Wilwood - 6 piston calipers utilizing the stock size rotors and wheels?

Since my wife and I mainly autocross, would these give the car enough extra braking ability to REALLY brake late?

I want to be able to get that last little bit out of the car - we use Hoosier A6's most of the time, though the last autocross, the Tire Toby (that being me) didn't feel like swapping out tires and the wife and I were the winners in street tire class.

I already have Pfadt adjustable shocks and light race sways. The car is very neutral, just can't seem to brake quite as late - I have PF01 pads front and rear. They bite well, just doesn't seem like enough.

We mainly race with Porsche's, Corvettes, some BMW's and alot of Street Prepared class Miatas'.

And who to get the Front kit from? Parts Taxi or whom else?

Thanks - I plan on buying it right away, to install it the week after Christmas.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:46 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had both and here are my opinions. The stock brakes will work just as well as the wilwoods for auto-x. In fact they work just as well on the track too (at least for a while). The advantage of the wilwoods is the pad thickness and caliper stiffness, which give a more consistent pedal and longer pad and rotor life. What you need to change for better braking in auto-x is the pad IMO. Try the hawk hp plus or something more suited to colder rotor temps.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are looking for some good rotors take a look at these. They are very lite: http://shop.performanceafx.com/C6-Z51-Corvette_c15.htm

Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kenny, I agree with these guys. Since you're not going to do HPDEs up there, go with an aggressive pad. Pad selection I'm going to defer to others on since it's been a while since I've looked at cold-temp pads. I do know that the Cobalt CSRs I had on the Z06 were NASTY for autocross. Great cold bite. They have some other compounds to look at also. Since the pads are so easy to change on the Z51, swap them out between street and track driving for manners and dusting, but just remember to clean out the drill-holes in your rotors because the pad buildup will get into the rotors, and even after you've swapped pads, will come out on your nice pimpy street wheels.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:04 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Pimpy? This coming from the guy who has had:

1. Fikse's
2. LG Motorsport's

I guess I'll end up buying another set of pads. Gary seems to REALLY like those Sintered Metal Pads, but just those pads are like 500 bucks.

Any autocrossers out there have a good recommendation for an aggressive pad with really good bite at colder rotor temps? I'll stick with the stock rotors, since they are prevalent enough (and fairly inexpensive).

My car is sitting in the garage (warm and cozy) and I am going apesh!t - my wife has told me to find a winter hobby.

Snow is in the forecast all week. Maybe I'll take my Jeep out 4 wheeling (four inch lift and 33 inch tires) to try and get the driving bug out of me. Or, hmm, the indoor go kart track when you get here, John? Get Gary and Pat and a few other Corvette owners out to try our luck?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If you are braking hard enough to get into the ABS, then changing pads isn't going to make a difference unless you are changing the bias to help keep one end from locking up sooner than the other.

With the big negative camber we use for autocross and the relatively stiff Hoosiers, you do loose some braking and that's another reason to try to set up the car so that it will use lower pressures, that tends to let the tire deform and take away some of the effects of the bad front camber. If you are locking up one end or the other, then by all means look for a pad change to change the bias..

I just run the stock Z06 pads and don't worry about it. I'm going to try to get some more rear bite to help the car rotoate more on corner entry when all of this snow melts....

Get notified of new replies

To Would it be worth it?

Quick Reply: Would it be worth it?