Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't fight the urge any more! A few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Default I can't fight the urge any more! A few questions...

Long story short... I have a 2004 Z06. I have been around the track and have had rides with instructors. I also service and maintain several instructor and student Corvettes. So yes I am a beginner, but I have a feeling they will be moving me ahead quickly.

So given that I do have some experience, especially with the C5/C6 Corvettes what would you suggest for brakes and suspension. Keep in mind I will only be doing 2-3 events next year.

Info on my car:
2004 Z06, K&N air induction, Borla Stingers, TB Bypass, 180* stat, self tuned via EFI Live, Nitto 555R2's on stock wheels, lowered with bolts, T1 sway bars, Baer +2 front rotors, Baer +1 rear rotors.

Now, I know the Baer rotors are good for regular driving and car shows, Not the track. So I should replace them... but with what? One of the track Vettes I work on we use Stock rotors with Carbotech pads. We get about 4 track days out of the rotors. I have heard only good things about performance friction rotors. What about them? What is a good pad to use for someone doing 2-3 events and also street drives the car on nice days. I do not want anything over corrosive as I need to keep my car pristine. What about fluid? ATE? Motul?

I feel my suspension is a bit loose yet on bumps and dips. I think the stock shocks should be replaced. I have installed coil overs but can't afford them. I know the Bilsteins are popular but not the best option for track use. I don't need to replace them, I know, but I am considering it.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You definitely need to move back towards the stock size rotors. For starters, the stock C5 calipers and rotors will do a good job. Rotors are expendables so use the cheapo NAPA solid ones - best bang for the buck. Switch to a good Hi-Temp brake fluid like ATE Blue or the Motul, Carbotech pads are good - 10's in front and 8's in the rear should be a good street / track compromise, and get cooling ducts for the front. I prefer the Bilstein HD or Sport shocks - great control and not too expensive. It all depends on how many miles are on your stock shocks and if they are worn out. Those changes should get you started nicely. The best mod available is SEAT TIME FOR THE DRIVER. Learn the car and be able to drive up to it's capabilities before doing any other mods. As you get faster, additional cooling like an aux oil cooler and HD radiator will be necessary.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

CHJ nailed it.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:59 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
You definitely need to move back towards the stock size rotors. For starters, the stock C5 calipers and rotors will do a good job. Rotors are expendables so use the cheapo NAPA solid ones - best bang for the buck. Switch to a good Hi-Temp brake fluid like ATE Blue or the Motul, Carbotech pads are good - 10's in front and 8's in the rear should be a good street / track compromise, and get cooling ducts for the front. I prefer the Bilstein HD or Sport shocks - great control and not too expensive. It all depends on how many miles are on your stock shocks and if they are worn out. Those changes should get you started nicely. The best mod available is SEAT TIME FOR THE DRIVER. Learn the car and be able to drive up to it's capabilities before doing any other mods. As you get faster, additional cooling like an aux oil cooler and HD radiator will be necessary.
Thanks! I just don't have any experience with the Bilsteins. I know in 04 they revised the z06 shocks. Not sure how much better the Bilsteins are. I think I will do the Napa rotors, with Motul fluid and Carbotech pads. Luckily I can use the shop I work in so I can swap the brakes after the event. And label/save them for next time.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Great advice!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
lowered with bolts, I feel my suspension is a bit loose yet on bumps and dips. I think the stock shocks should be replaced.
Depending on how lowered it is could be part of the problem. Our cars need a decent amount of suspension travel to work really good. I know nothing of the Bilsteins, but I can tell you that the '04Z is a great shock and works well with the T1 bars.

Originally Posted by n8dogg
So given that I do have some experience, especially with the C5/C6 Corvettes what would you suggest for brakes and suspension. Keep in mind I will only be doing 2-3 events next year.
Other than fresh stock parts, don't touch the suspension (especially if you're only doing 2-3 events per year) - the car is better than you at this point.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The stock shocks should be fine as long as you haven't worn them out. If the car has less than 50K miles they should be fine. The owner's manual says not to lower the car more than 15mm. They make that recommendation so there is sufficient suspension travel. It might even be a good idea to raise the car back to stock ride height based on comments made by one of the forum's better known T1 racers you really don't get an advantage by lowering the car.

Bill
Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

You will find the Carbotechs much better all around than the PFCs so I would stay with those. Have used both and the Carbotechs last longer on the track, easier on the rotors, and clean up easier when done. I would also switch your clutch fluid to the ATE also. Wecome to the addiction.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Return car to stock ride height for best suspension performance
Old 12-13-2010, 04:53 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Nobody has mentioned a race seat, so I will. Keep your eyes open here on the Forum for a used race seat which will fit in your C5. ensure that it comes with ALL hardware and has been used in a C5. Note, this is not necessary as a first mod, but eventually you will find you need more support, and the seat will allow you to concentrate on driving your car.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:26 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and especially the part I highlighted.

Sounds like you know what needs to be done to the car. The best thing you can do to get faster on the track is work on the driver. SEAT TIME will be your best investment for the next year or two.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The stock shocks should be fine as long as you haven't worn them out. If the car has less than 50K miles they should be fine. The owner's manual says not to lower the car more than 15mm. They make that recommendation so there is sufficient suspension travel. It might even be a good idea to raise the car back to stock ride height based on comments made by one of the forum's better known T1 racers you really don't get an advantage by lowering the car.

Bill
Hi Bill, I believe we met at the Glen early this year. You gave my friend a ride while I road with P. Henderson. Hope to see you next year.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I will be happy to help you out with pads. We also sell SS lines and fluid. You can contact me at 216-780-8825
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

I wouldn't mess with the suspension much. I'd say possibly lower the car 5mm from stock and get a good alignment. If you don't like how much the car rolls after you've had it out a few times, possibly add some T1 sway bars. With that setup, you will be able to lay down faster lap times than 98% of the other cars out there if you're driving to the car's potential.

As for brakes:
1. Good fluid: I recommend AP Racing Super 600
2. For discs, just stick with OEM or similar replacement until you get more track time under your belt.
3. Pads: I'd recommend swapping between street pads and full race pads. Here's a piece I wrote on choosing brake pads.
4. If you find that you're getting brake fade, the next step would be brake ducts. Getting more cooling air inside your discs will go a long way towards reducing fade.
5. Only after you've done all the above should you consider spending any money on larger brake discs or kits. When you get to that point, I'd be happy to make some recommendations. Instead, put money into safety equipment (Hans, rollbar, etc.)...and a radiator/oil cooler (Ron Davis, LG, etc.) if you plan on running during the summer. That will help ensure the car remains drivable and on the track.

Other than that, just get some wheel time and have fun!

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 12-14-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Forgot to say...the above recommendation on installing a race seat is a great one! I put a Sparco Roadster in my C5Z, and it was probably the best mod I ever made. It transforms the feel between your butt and the car, and allows you to stay firmly under control when pulling G's.

That's about it. Your car doesn't need much to be stupid fast and reliable on the track.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
I will be happy to help you out with pads. We also sell SS lines and fluid. You can contact me at 216-780-8825
great, I will give you a call when I am ready thanks!

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Forgot to say...the above recommendation on installing a race seat is a great one! I put a Sparco Roadster in my C5Z, and it was probably the best mod I ever made. It transforms the feel between your butt and the car, and allows you to stay firmly under control when pulling G's.

That's about it. Your car doesn't need much to be stupid fast and reliable on the track.
Race seat at this point is not a priority for me. I just want to do 2-3 events to get the bug out from under me. $ is a big thing for me, I am actually poor .
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I am actually poor

You ain't seen nothing yet

Have fun and be safe
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 great advice from CHJ In Virginia

Get notified of new replies

To I can't fight the urge any more! A few questions...

Quick Reply: I can't fight the urge any more! A few questions...