Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasa pt - scca ito

Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Nasa pt - scca ito

Looks like a NASA PT prep'd corvette (or even an ST2 car?) could run in SCCA ITO's class. Has anybody ever ran a crossover? It's not on the official list but looks like an inclusion could be lobbied for?

That would be a bit more appropriate class instead of STO for the ARRC next year (would like to run my C5).

5. Competition vehicles from the following Touring type series are allowed to
compete in ITO:

American V-8 Supercar Series
BMWCCA H thru I Stock/Prepared
Corvette Challenge
Ferrari Challenge
GrandAm GS
IMSA Firehawk GrandSport
NASA American Iron
NASA Camaro/Mustang Challenge
NASA Factory Five Challenge
NASA 911 Cup
NASA 944 Spec Super Cup
PBOC Stock/Improved G thru L
PCA A thru F Stock
Touring Corvette Challenge (TCC)
Viper Racing League (except GT-C and GT-MC)

6. Additional cars from Touring type series will be considered for future inclusion
by application to the SEDIV Planning Committee.
7. Cars entering from the above series must have in their possession a copy of the
rules from that series and must comply entirely with those rules. No “cherry
picking” of preparation rules from multiple series is permitted.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:15 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, I have run an ST2 car in ITO at the ARRC. However, you need to be very aware of rules specifics. At the time, I ran under the rules published by TCC. From what you posted above, look at what you can be competing against.

An ST2 car has more liberal preparation allowances than SCCA ITE or ITO. ITO is not a national SCCA class and the rules can vary from region to region. This is also true of ITE. Some SCCA regions call it ITO and some ITE. From what I have seen, ITE is the more frequently used class if. Be aware that ITE rules are typically defined by each SCCA region, therefore, consistency is not a strong point. If you travel to other regions, it can become a consideration.

I cannot speak to a PT prep’d car.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

well if ST2 can, then PTA should. PTA is same power/weight, but WAY less prep. ST2 is open, PTA is going to be stock plus just a couple of items (sway bars, or brakes, that's about it)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eogel
An ST2 car has more liberal preparation allowances than SCCA ITE or ITO.
In SFR ITE is pretty much run-what-ya-brung, I'll reproduce the rules:

• Any tub chassis production vehicle running DOT tires.
  • Preparation Rules: International Sedans may modify the floor/rocker panel sections.
  • Cars must meet or exceed the Showroom Stock or IT safety requirements of the current General Competition Regulations.
One thing I've noticed is that the local cars running wings do keep them roof height rather than the +8" allowed by NASA but that doesn't appear to be by direct rule...
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Glen,

Thanks. That helps make my point about lack of consistency across the regions.

Here are some selected rules from the North Carolina Region SCCA ITE rules, not all:
1. Eligible Cars include WSC, World Challenge, Fire Hawk and other “T” type cars that are not
approved for competition. And the Volvo S60R is eligible for competition.
2. World Challenge “GT” Cars over 3.0 liters racing in ITE must carry an additional 150 lbs. Said
150 lbs. shall be located in the front passenger seat mounting location.
3. Carbon fiber and fiberglass body parts are prohibited, other than World Challenge GT
cars, or cars produced form the factory with said equipment. (Cars that do not meet this
requirement will be treated as World Challenge GT cars.)
4. Any wing/s, spoiler may be used.
5. Maximum wheel size shall not exceed 17 x 9 (other than World Challenge GT cars). Vehicles
where rim size exceeds 17 x 9 will be treated as World Challenge GT cars.
6. Suspension shall be as specified in the ITCS. However, reinforcement of the attachment points
is permitted.
7. Remote canister type shocks are prohibited, except WSC and World Challenge GT cars.
(Vehicles with remote canister shocks will be treated as World Challenge GT cars.)
8. Stock crankshaft must be used.
9. Any camshaft(s) may be used. However, rocker arms shall remain stock.
10. Intake/Exhaust manifold prep shall be as specified in the IT specifications.
11. Head prep shall be as specified in the IT specifications.
12. Any flywheel and clutch combination may be used.
13. Stock transmission must be used. Any gear combination that fits within the stock transmission
housing without modification to the housing is permitted.
14. SCCA approved fuel cells are MANDATORY. Dry breaks are permitted.
15. Any brake and rotor combinations are permitted. Not to exceed 4 pistons per caliper,
excluding WSC and World Challenge GT cars. Cars that exceed 4 pistons per caliper from
factory will be treated as World Challenge GT cars.
16. Rotary Engines: 12 A / 13 B normally aspirated with any port configuration
17. Rotary Engines: 12 A / 13 B with turbo stock/street port only

Last edited by eogel; 12-11-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: add NCR ITE rules
Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't the Southeast Division SCCA run SPO instead of ITE as there "catch all" class? Sorry Mark, not related to your question, just curious as I'm looking at options and Jerry, Barry, and I were discussing NASA and SCCA last night.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:15 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brent Dalton
Doesn't the Southeast Division SCCA run SPO instead of ITE as there "catch all" class? Sorry Mark, not related to your question, just curious as I'm looking at options and Jerry, Barry, and I were discussing NASA and SCCA last night.
SPO is a different class. I believe it has an even higher level of prep. The ARRC did have SPO cars. I do not believe it is a national class; if not national, it will be subject to region specific rules.

Somewhere other than this thread, I would like to compare notes with you on your discussion of NASA and SCCA. I am looking at those options also.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eogel
14. SCCA approved fuel cells are MANDATORY.
why for this class and not T1? seems like that would be a general CCR thing (for all classes)
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
why for this class and not T1? seems like that would be a general CCR thing (for all classes)
T1 is a very limited preperation class and STO has a more liberal rules set which makes the cars faster and therefore more likely to have a bigger crash and therefore potentially have a fire. At least thats the thinking. SCCA wanted to keep the T1 cars as stock as possible but of course they allowed rules creep.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racerbob4
T1 is a very limited preperation class and STO has a more liberal rules set which makes the cars faster and therefore more likely to have a bigger crash and therefore potentially have a fire. At least thats the thinking. SCCA wanted to keep the T1 cars as stock as possible but of course they allowed rules creep.
yeah but the rules above were for ITO?

If it's stock tanks, it's only T1 for the C5? My car is not T1 legal, so I guess no crossover
Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drivinhard
yeah but the rules above were for ITO?

If it's stock tanks, it's only T1 for the C5? My car is not T1 legal, so I guess no crossover

Please note, "these are selected rules from the North Carolina Region SCCA ITE rules". They apply to events run by that organization only. The Atlanta region may have different ITE/ITO rules. This just demonstrates the reason I cautioned in an earlier post about being aware of the rules and inconsistency of region specific rules.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

That's the beauty of NASA and the reason they are growing so fast. National rules that make sense.
The whole SCCA thing is just a mess and they wonder why they're losing membership.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:26 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent Dalton
Doesn't the Southeast Division SCCA run SPO instead of ITE as there "catch all" class?
SFR also has a Super Production class, which is effectively SFR's ITE + tube cars, and all can run slicks.

Cars and pickup trucks which exceed the preparation limitations of the applicable Production or GT Specifications but which meet the general regulations of Section 9 of the GCR for GT category cars. Aerodynamic devices are permitted.

Last edited by gkmccready; 12-11-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Here is the link to the SE Division SCCA ITO rules.

http://sedivracing.org/2011SEDivRegionalClassRules.pdf

SE Div SPO is for cars that exceed SCCA GT category rules, typically found there are GT-1 types with motors that exceed the rules, too light, not compliant bodies, some stock cars that don't fit into GT-1,
etc.

SE Div ITO come from these series:

* corvette challenge prepared to 1999 or earlier rules
* Grand Am GS Koni/Continental Tire Challenge
* IMSA Firehawl
* Mustang Challenge
* Nasa AI
* CMC CMC2
* Nasa Factory Five
* SCCA ITGT
* World Challenge GT, prepped to 1999 or earlier rules
Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bosco022
Here is the link to the SE Division SCCA ITO rules.

http://sedivracing.org/2011SEDivRegionalClassRules.pdf
good deal, Rob Bodle is a nasa guy so I'll ping him
Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Your Vette should fit in ITO in SE Div. You have to remember this is SCCA regional racing,
there isn't anyone looking too hard. SCCA national....different deal.

Safety stuff will be scrutinized, other not so much.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I'd say look into scca sto while you are at it. That class is in need of more cars and for guys who like to modify it could be pretty good. T1 cars are competative in ST2 NASA but STO allows wings and so does ST2. So a T1 car with a wing could be even better and better still in st2. Finally, C5 will be gone from T1 in 2014 so STO is the next logical home perhaps in SCCA or the SCCA T1 guys will just jump ship race in ST2. There are about 10 of us with C5 here in the south west.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I can barely afford to race all the races available in the SE and surrounding regions for ST-2.

The last thing I need is another venue to pour money.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
That's the beauty of NASA and the reason they are growing so fast. National rules that make sense.
The whole SCCA thing is just a mess and they wonder why they're losing membership.
It might come as a surprise to some but the mess in NASA drove me to SCCA. NASA SE to me seemed more of a proffit driven group without a true rule book. The point system could have worked but today's version is a joke. It's way too hard to manage and are not consistant. To each his own but I voted with my money and went to SCCA and have had a better time there then any NASA event.

Get notified of new replies

To Nasa pt - scca ito

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nasa pt - scca ito