Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Accquisition

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
928nomore
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Data Accquisition

Looking for a easy to use system for the occasional HPDE days. would like a GPS system to include Video as well. I like the DaVid system but it is pricey and I already have several laptops that I could use. anyone have any good suggestions?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I have a whole column coming out on this topic. Basically you need to pick a driving coach first. Then purchase the system your coach is familiar with.

if you don't have a coach make sure you buy a system from a vendor that offers that offers support.

Motec is a very complex system that may be the best but it also very very difficult to get started with. The most popular system in vintage racing is the AIM system. Traqmate and Racekeeper are the best low end systems.

Plan on spending at least $2,500 for a complete system. $5,000 seems to be the upper end of the cost curve.

Richard Newton
Vintage Motorsport
Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

There are a very wide range of options here so it really depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I just wanted the basics so I purchased the "Traqmate Basic". The msrp on this is $699. All you get for that price is the GPS reciever and the sensor unit that records lap times, Gs, postion, etc. No video, no RPM, no oil pressure, no any other digital or analog inputs. There is no in-car display. You do get their analysis software (but its a free download anyway). So...its really basic. But, its also the foundation from which you can build over time. Traqmate has lots of add on modules, including for digital (brake lt for example), analog (oil pressure for ex) and RPM. They also have a module to control some video cameras automatically and an in-car display unit (predictive lap timing). And, you can purchase an upgrade to the software that will allow it to sync to any video (regardless if you have the video module).

So for me, who just wants the basics, its a good place to start. I'll eventually add the video sync and some car performance inputs. Also - in my area the Traqmate is very common, making it easy to swap datafiles and compare drivers.

The only DA package I'm aware of that is cheaper than this is MaxQ Data. But their software is really funky and from what I've seen I don't really care for how it works or how it analyzes the data.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:31 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a look at the micro pod sport or the chase commander. The website is rlc racing. I have the micro pod sport. It has everything you need and more. Video ssync, lap maps for each lap you did, gps, dual gps to show you your over and understeer etc.....
Old 12-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

iPhone and Android both offer pretty simple apps that can get you started that are next to free.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There are a bunch of good threads on this topic already, a good search may help you weed out some of them.

I recommend seeing what some of the racers/TTer/HPDEer's in your area run, especially guys who are a little faster than you are. Data is all well and good but if you don't have something to compare it to what good is it? If you see that a lot of guys in your area are running a certian system that would jump toward the top of my list.

It is certianly possible to compare data between two different products, but the other guys may be able to help you use the software more efficently and give you tips on whats worked for them.

I've compared Traqmate to Racepack data and I liked the way the Racepack software worked better, most systems let you try there software for free. Giving them a try before you buy may save you some frustration.

Other than that good luck.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

I had a chance to meet the RaceKeeper people yesterday at the PRI show yesterday. The really good news is that they're very close to releasing a version that works with Apple. I mean it works directly - no Boot Camp and no work arounds. I can't wait to try it.

Richard Newton
Vintage Motorsports Magazine
Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Here's my column from Vintage Motorsport. You can get a free issue on this page.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 12-11-2010, 06:50 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about Vbox's Performancebox product? Seems a good quality/price deal and you can use the data output with Trackvision to make a video with data overlay. I'm trying to decide for next season myself.

The iPhone only gives 1Hz GPS update rate. That's one reading per second. Not good.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Wren
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by rfn026
Plan on spending at least $2,500 for a complete system. $5,000 seems to be the upper end of the cost curve.
So easy to spend more. Especially when really working hard on the chassis setup.

I am a fan of CDS.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 928nomore
Looking for a easy to use system for the occasional HPDE days. would like a GPS system to include Video as well. I like the DaVid system but it is pricey and I already have several laptops that I could use. anyone have any good suggestions?
AiM SmartyCam for combined video and GPS.

Get notified of new replies

To Data Accquisition

Quick Reply: Data Accquisition