Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gieco and HPDE and Auto Cross

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gieco and HPDE and Auto Cross

I called Gieco about 8 months ago prior to my 1st HPDE and inquired about coverage and was told as long as I am not racing I would be covered

So I hit a curb a month ago avoiding a (deer) in my 07 vette and was told cause I didn't hit the deer this would fall under Collision and I would have a deductible. So be it guess I should have hit the deer totaled the car and wouldn't have paid a cent and would be fighting about value today.

So the adjuster came out the radiator braket was busted and a small dent around the braket is present. The radiator, condensor, fan and wheel is bent. So he writes the claim for aftermarket fan, condensor and some other parts and to repair the wheel or replace it with a remanufactured on. I told him this is BS as I don't want this junk on my car doing 140 mph. I explained HPDE and also the fact these arenot the same so we had to order all the aftermarket junk and prove to this fool one by one they either weighed more or were not the same.

So they now are assembling with all OEM parts or some upgrades like dewitts radiator. The frame they would not replace as everyone including the autobody guy claims it will not effect anything at the front where the mount is for the radiator and he can push it out.

So today I get a call informing me any track or speeding (auto cross) would not be coverred.

Can anyone spell Dimishing Return I think this is my next battle as I do have a dent in the frame and I am sure this will so up on a car fax.

Any advise?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:02 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

first thing never try to avoid a deer..........nothing smaller than a moose! chances are real good you will only come off worse.
Second GEICO their official policy is stall & delay then go for the cheapest repair. I'm not sure about CF but on the Vette net the word's been out for 10 years or more.
For track days you probably need track insurance. The deductable is higher but will cover you. Yes I use it
as to reduced value that is true but usually you can't get anything for it.
Insurance co. have lawers on full time and won't give in.
now that said if you have too many claims they (your current insurer) will drop you and try to move you into select risk (I know)
both my accidents were caused by mechanical failure. as long as your behind the wheel it's your fault unless it's comprehensive
thats why you always hit the deer
Old 12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Default Insurance companies recommendation

So what is the best insurance company when you have a claim thoughts?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It's hard to say what insurance company is the "best". But I would never tell a company that you use the car for HPDE/track days or even autocross. Autocross may be even worse because it is "competitive" where a track day is not.

Does your state have an office that deals with consumer insurance issues? Might be worth a call to them to see if you have to accept aftermarket or used/remanufactured parts for collision repair. Some states also allow you to take your car to any repair shop of your choice and not have a requirement for getting multiple estimates.

WA is like that; if I damage my vehicle, I can go to a shop of my choosing and no requirements to get multiple estimates.

And the "adjuster" may not always be a trained or experienced body and fender repair professional. Be on the lookout for any hidden damage that can show up once the car is apart. If you sign off on the estimate and get a check up front, it can be a PITA to get more money. Be firm with the adjuster and your agent. They don't want to spend a dime more than they have to and you want your car repaired to the condition it was in before the accident.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:56 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Rule # 1 NEVER mention ANY type track use to your insurance agent or adjuster. My policy with Travelers does not exclude DE events, only timed competition events. A friend of mine totaled his BMW at a track day and the Travelers company paid. They would not renew his policy at expiration, but did not cancel him.
Rule # 2 READ your policy as to what the company is required to do in the event of damage. Some allow the company to use cheap junk aftermarket or salvage yard parts.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:24 PM
johninar
Drifting

One rule of thumb is that everything anyone associated with your insurance company tells you means absolutly NOTHING, unless it's backed up by written verbage in your policy.
As was mentioned above, read your policy.
Search forum for "track insurance" and you will find many threads on the subject.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fennerhillpro

So what is the best insurance company when you have a claim thoughts?
imo usaa.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:21 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

USAA is a great company with great rates and they don't try to mess you around when it comes to claims.. But if you even ask USAA about coverage for HPDE or similar events, you may very well get canceled right then. This came up a couple years ago when a CF member had his policy canceled after he asked about coverage during a track day.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
USAA is a great company with great rates and they don't try to mess you around when it comes to claims.. But if you even ask USAA about coverage for HPDE or similar events, you may very well get canceled right then. This came up a couple years ago when a CF member had his policy canceled after he asked about coverage during a track day.

I have heard & read the same thing.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Got it I guess I will start over with a new company and not mention HPDE that's for sure my guess is they will not be renewing me. I spooked them that is for sure.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am insured by Mercury and have for some years. However with 4 drivers in the house 2 in there early 20's. My experience both when they covered me, and with other claims, 1st is All State, 2nd is State Farm, 3rd Auto Club. I have been very happy with Mercury, they are fast, fair, and have always sent me to what is the best and not surprisingly most expensive shop in the area.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:58 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

believe what is in writing not what someone told you because when you need it it is worthless
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

In Illinois, State Farm covered track use for liability and collision (I know guys who collected) just like street driving, until about 6 years ago. First, they excluded it from my umbrella coverage. About 3 years ago, they excluded it from my basic auto policy.

If you are doing a NCCC event and signed the waiver, you should be covered for 1 mil of liability.

I wouldn't mind paying SF more money if i still needed that coverage, but having to find outside insurance would be expensive and a big PITA.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:14 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Originally Posted by fennerhillpro
Got it I guess I will start over with a new company and not mention HPDE that's for sure my guess is they will not be renewing me. I spooked them that is for sure.
You might consider getting a couple of insurance quotes now and then when you find a company you like then cancel with Geico. And get a refund for the balance of the time left. In most states you can do this. The advantage is that you didn't give them the opportunity to cancel you or not renew you.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

The National Corvette Museum offers track/competitive event coverage insurance - call Adam Boca for the details
Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by racerbob4
You might consider getting a couple of insurance quotes now and then when you find a company you like then cancel with Geico. And get a refund for the balance of the time left. In most states you can do this. The advantage is that you didn't give them the opportunity to cancel you or not renew you.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Greywolfe
Racer

I recently had a incident with a tire wall during a DE and my insurance company did cover me.

It wasn't easy though. It took a month, multiple agents assigned to my claim and meetings with investigators but in the end since it was not a timed event and I was not racing they covered me.

I can only imagine the lawyers are re-writing the small print to exclude any coverage if on a track.

The car goes in the body shop tomorow morning.

I would say single event DE insurance is worth it. Either that or get a cheaper car you can afford to push off a cliff.

Get notified of new replies

To Gieco and HPDE and Auto Cross

Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

2 years ago a friend hit the wall at NJMP and destroyed his car. Geico paid for it without any hassles. Not sure if they changed their policy after that or not.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks Donna fo rmention the NCM Insurance Agency!

Check out our website for HPDE Physical Damage Coverage.

http://www.ncminsurance.com/motorsports.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!!

Adam
Old 12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

My (AMICA) exclusion is as follows:

Loss to your covered auto or any non owned auto located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:

a . competing in, or

b. practicing or preparing for,

any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

is an autox or a de or a tt a "racing" or a "speed" contest?

Lawyers will decide I suppose. I don't think most people would say it's "racing".

Is it "speed" or "precision driving"?

Slower cars can get better times due to precision driving, that's for sure.

Mine does not say anything about timed event.

Also a parking lot autox or de or tt seems to be covered by my read.

Quick Reply: Gieco and HPDE and Auto Cross