Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:37 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake rotors

OK

So my rotors are about ready to go. And I bought some replacements from Rock Auto. Good prices BTW...

Anyhow I have two front rotors that are identical. Meaning the vanes in them go the same direction and the cross drills in them also go the same direction C6 Z51's). So I have two left rotors instead of a left and right? Looking at the old right side one it clearly goes the other way.

So my question here is? Does it really matter at all? I mean the air flow will be a bit different and they still have the same number of holes at the same radii from the center, but does it matter which way the vanes inside the rotor are going? Should I care about this or just throw the new ones on when the old ones finally crack?

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-24-2010, 05:53 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

The stock C6Z rotors are the same way, and yes they are incorrect. You want the vanes to pull heat away from the center as you are moving forward, not forcing air into the center when you are moving forward.
With directional vane rotors, there is a left side and a right side.

Daniel
http://www.finspeed.com/
Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Are you tracking the car or just street driving? On the street I wouldn't worry about it. On the track, I'd probably run them anyway. On track they're not going to last long enough to make it worth shipping it back and waiting on a replacement, which may or may not be exactly wrong again. I've run them backwards when I've run out spares for one side or the other. BFD to me. YMMV.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Originally Posted by Jason
Are you tracking the car or just street driving? On the street I wouldn't worry about it. On the track, I'd probably run them anyway. On track they're not going to last long enough to make it worth shipping it back and waiting on a replacement, which may or may not be exactly wrong again. I've run them backwards when I've run out spares for one side or the other. BFD to me. YMMV.
OK

So really not a big deal here... I do track the car, but not often enough to replace the rotors all the time, and first thing I did was duct the fronts with a Quantum kit so they should get plenty of air either way... Think I'll just put em on bass-ackwards on one side :

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Check the part numbers on the packing slip against the order confirmation email you received. Most drilled/slotted rotors (and especially ones with angled vanes between the rotors surfaces) will have different part numbers for left and right. Also check the part number on the boxes.

If you ordered the correct part numbers for left and right, either the picker grabbed a wrong box, the box was mis-labeled or had the wrong rotor in the box. Rockauto is pretty good about fixing a screw-up as long as it's on their end.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have 2 R/F rotors on my car right now.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 PM
MikeFleischer
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Check the part numbers on the packing slip against the order confirmation email you received. Most drilled/slotted rotors (and especially ones with angled vanes between the rotors surfaces) will have different part numbers for left and right. Also check the part number on the boxes.

If you ordered the correct part numbers for left and right, either the picker grabbed a wrong box, the box was mis-labeled or had the wrong rotor in the box. Rockauto is pretty good about fixing a screw-up as long as it's on their end.
No this was my fault I just wasn't thinking and ordered two of the same thing. It would probably have helped if Rock Auto listed them as left and right, but I should have thought about it a bit more before ordering.

No big deal I guess.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The stock Z51 and Z06 rotors are only facing the correct way on one side of the car. When GM was doing the Ring testing they didn't find much difference between facing the supposed correct way and not facing the correct way. The rotors get hot and the air inside of them expands that along with centrigugal force makes the air flow from the center to the outside.

I run the stock Z06 rotors and after several track days the front ones although directional seem to heat check and crack within an hour of each other with no prevalence of one side going before the other.

Since the OEMs are not designated right or left side I doubt the aftermarket ones will be any different. If you send one back you will get the same thing.

Bill
Old 07-25-2010, 08:03 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I accidentally had a set of NAPA rotors facing the wrong way... and they clearly had a lot more heat checking and cracked *much* faster than when you face them the right way. The whole idea that only doing a left or right side rotor is a good idea is easily disproved...

Get notified of new replies

To Brake rotors

Quick Reply: Brake rotors