Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know when my MPSCs have had it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do I know when my MPSCs have had it?

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups that have now seen 50 track sessions, 20 min each. The fronts are looking worn but I'm not sure how to gage when the tire is truly used up, because many use them past the wear bars and Michelin talks about shaving the tire to make it more raceworthy.

I've enclosed some pics of the fronts (295/30/18); in some you can see little rectangles in the outer tread blocks. Is this "cording" or are there still a few track days left in these tires? Also, I already have -1.9 camber, would going to a higher inflation pressure help wear the center more than the outer edge or would you keep as is as this is normal wear? I run 25 cold, 34 hot, similar to Michelin recommendations.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:42 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have not seen MSPCs corded yet myself (although the turbo is getting there) but I think the block of thin lines going around the tire about 1/2-3/4 of an inch away from the edge is where you are about to see the cords. most visible on 1st 3rd and last pics

when you have such an extreme wear just on the last couple of inches of the tread surface, it usually means you need to keep tweaking things. raising pressure is the easiest thing to try, but it will make traction drop-off on worn tires more noticeable.

you can overinflate them and probably do another full day but be prepared for some nasty understeer.

Quick Reply: How do I know when my MPSCs have had it?