Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch sunk down when on track??

Old 07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default clutch sunk down when on track??

I recently went on an hpde and my clutch didn't come up like it should. I have had my clutch fluid changed about 5000miles ago. What could I do to prevent this?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob P
I recently went on an hpde and my clutch didn't come up like it should. I have had my clutch fluid changed about 5000miles ago. What could I do to prevent this?

Thanks
Change it more frequently & use good Dot 4 like Motul 600 RBF. I changed mine when I felt a difference in the pedal this year which ended up being about 1-2 per day. You don't have to do it very session but after 1 day without, my stuff was black.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

A remote bleeder and Tick adjustable master will solve the problem forever.
Otherwise do the Ranger mod as often as possible.

Last edited by sperkins; 07-19-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: 17 years of school and I still can't spell....
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I had to remove the "helper" spring on the C6Z06..... fresh fluid didn't fix it!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

I will replace the clutch fluid and see if that helps out.
Can anyone direct me to where the reservoir is? I looked under the hood and couldn't locate it.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bleed the clutch.

I bleed the clutch before I go to an event and again after each day. I have even bleed it during a lunch break.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Bleed the clutch.

I bleed the clutch before I go to an event and again after each day. I have even bleed it during a lunch break.

Do you mind to guide me on how to do this?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't bleed it unless you have a remote bleeder installed. The only way you can change out your fluid (without a bleeder) is using a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the reservoir. Your reservoir is located on the left side of the firewall next to the brake fluid reservoir and is the smaller plastic tank. You should suck the fluid out (not all of it leave a bit on the bottom so you do not introduce air into your clutch system) and add new fluid. Pump the clutch a bit and then suck more fluid out and add more. Repeat until it is clearer. Driving it around you will notice that even if the reservoir was clean it will turn dirty again. Just keep using the above method to clean it out.

This may or may not help/fix the problem. The only way to really know if it helped is to do an autox/ track event/ or drive hard enough to heat the car up really good (but you still might not realize it until the track). What the true issue is your slave cylinder has a grove worn in it and although bleeding the fluid might help or mask the problem the true source of the problem is your slave cylinder is worn out...but the only way to fix that is to pull the trans/diff and torque tube and that can get expensive so many people choose to turkey baster the reservoir and hope that fixes it. If you do eventually replace the slave cylinder make sure to add a remote bleeder so you can bleed the clutch system occasionally.

Good luck and hopefully turkey bastering the fluid helps.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
You can't bleed it unless you have a remote bleeder installed. The only way you can change out your fluid (without a bleeder) is using a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the reservoir. Your reservoir is located on the left side of the firewall next to the brake fluid reservoir and is the smaller plastic tank. You should suck the fluid out (not all of it leave a bit on the bottom so you do not introduce air into your clutch system) and add new fluid. Pump the clutch a bit and then suck more fluid out and add more. Repeat until it is clearer. Driving it around you will notice that even if the reservoir was clean it will turn dirty again. Just keep using the above method to clean it out.

This may or may not help/fix the problem. The only way to really know if it helped is to do an autox/ track event/ or drive hard enough to heat the car up really good (but you still might not realize it until the track). What the true issue is your slave cylinder has a grove worn in it and although bleeding the fluid might help or mask the problem the true source of the problem is your slave cylinder is worn out...but the only way to fix that is to pull the trans/diff and torque tube and that can get expensive so many people choose to turkey baster the reservoir and hope that fixes it. If you do eventually replace the slave cylinder make sure to add a remote bleeder so you can bleed the clutch system occasionally.

Good luck and hopefully turkey bastering the fluid helps.
Thank you, I will give a shot tonight. What fluid should I be using?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
Bleed the clutch.
Good ol' Randy@DRM and the boys must have given you a nifty remote bleeder...
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way you can change out your fluid (without a bleeder) is using a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the reservoir.
FWIW, I find one of the blue shop paper towels rolled up to fit inside the master cylinder is just about perfect to soak up the fluid it contains. Then I re-fill with clean fluid, get in and pump the pedal 40-50 times, and repeat until the fluid stays clean[ish].
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

That method is also referred to as the "Ranger Method". Here's a video that he made that many people have watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbsy0LjUvE

I was told just any Dot 3/4 brake fluid. Do not use silicone brake fluid. Use a decent Dot 3/4 with a decent boiling point. I just used some stuff from O'Reilly that had a decent dry and wet boiling point and didn't cost $80 a bottle.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Oh and make sure to wipe up and rinse off with water any spilled fluid since it will take the clear coat off of your paint.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Good ol' Randy@DRM and the boys must have given you a nifty remote bleeder...
Yes - yes they did. I used to do the turkey baster method and still do in a pinch.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That method is also referred to as the "Ranger Method". Here's a video that he made that many people have watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbsy0LjUvE

I was told just any Dot 3/4 brake fluid. Do not use silicone brake fluid. Use a decent Dot 3/4 with a decent boiling point. I just used some stuff from O'Reilly that had a decent dry and wet boiling point and didn't cost $80 a bottle.
I agree!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, I will give a shot tonight. What fluid should I be using?
Rob, let me know if you need help. And I use Wilwood High Temp fluid.

If you are going to be tracking your car more, you will really want the high temp fluid like Motul or Wilwood, especially if you are getting the sticking pedal.

I flush mine using a remote bleeder but I installed that during a clutch change, you can use the turkey baster or syringe method until you need to change yours.

Just so you know... this might not help the sticking pedal.

Last edited by GettReal; 07-20-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I had several emails about the clutch helper spring. It is under the dash, attached to the pedal. I think they came on all c5/c6's, but I could be wrong. It definitely fixed the problem in our 06 Z06, when fresh fluid did not.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch sunk down when on track??

Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I had several emails about the clutch helper spring. It is under the dash, attached to the pedal. I think they came on all c5/c6's, but I could be wrong. It definitely fixed the problem in our 06 Z06, when fresh fluid did not.
I think you are correct David, Back in the day when I had serious sticking pedal issues, I removed the helper spring on my 01 C5 and it helped a little but not enough. I read at the time that it did help some people though so I tried it. I was one of those guys that tried everything before finally replacing the clutch.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Rob P
Burning Brakes

I did the turkey baster method yesterday. The bluid was mirky. I will continue checking and changing it, hopefully it will work.

What does the spring under the pedal do? If removed, what is supposed to happen?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:04 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the turkey baster method yesterday. The bluid was mirky. I will continue checking and changing it, hopefully it will work.

What does the spring under the pedal do? If removed, what is supposed to happen?
I can't recall but I think removing the spring might cause more wear to something in the system. I would leave that alone.

Since it got black on you, change it every time after you drive for a while. It takes 4-6 changes anyway to purge it. Use a good fluid like Motul.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch sunk down when on track??