Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pagids?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Pagids?

I'm new to Corvettes and, at a friend's recommendation, I've been using the Carbotech 10s F&R on my C6Z with StopTechs (ST-60 and ST-40) and Toyo 888s.

I like the braking, but not the rapid wear. When I talked to Carbotech about this, they agreed that they would expect more than 5-6 hours on the fronts. They suggested that perhaps I had not properly bed them in, which would adversely affect their wear, and recommended that I try some of their pre-bedded pads. Well, I've bedded lots of pads before without issues, but they're the experts, so to give them the benefit of the doubt I purchased their pre-bedded pads. Unfortunately, I've not seen any difference in the (rapid) wear rate.

I used Pagids on my prior track cars, all Porsches. These pads worked well for me and are hugely popular with the Porsche track crowd, but I don't see them mentioned much here. The popular pads here seem to be the Carbotechs, Hawks, Cobalts.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Do others have similar wear experience with the Carbotechs?

2. Is there a reason the Pagids are not in wider use on Corvettes, or am I mistaken on this?

Thanks, Andy
Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Superbee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used both the pads and the pre-bedded pads from them and agree the wear is the same for both and faster then I like, especially for the cost.
Never tried the Pagid, how are they for affects on wheels and paint?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Z
I'm new to Corvettes and, at a friend's recommendation, I've been using the Carbotech 10s F&R on my C6Z with StopTechs (ST-60 and ST-40) and Toyo 888s.

I like the braking, but not the rapid wear. When I talked to Carbotech about this, they agreed that they would expect more than 5-6 hours on the fronts. They suggested that perhaps I had not properly bed them in, which would adversely affect their wear, and recommended that I try some of their pre-bedded pads. Well, I've bedded lots of pads before without issues, but they're the experts, so to give them the benefit of the doubt I purchased their pre-bedded pads. Unfortunately, I've not seen any difference in the (rapid) wear rate.

I used Pagids on my prior track cars, all Porsches. These pads worked well for me and are hugely popular with the Porsche track crowd, but I don't see them mentioned much here. The popular pads here seem to be the Carbotechs, Hawks, Cobalts.

So, a couple of questions:

1. Do others have similar wear experience with the Carbotechs?

2. Is there a reason the Pagids are not in wider use on Corvettes, or am I mistaken on this?

Thanks, Andy
I've been using the Pagid Blacks for about 3 years with my Stoptech setup and more recently the Grays. I chose them because they do work so well on all the Porsches. Couldn't be happier on the track and they don't squeal as much as some others do on the street. As far as wear goes, I just finished up 5 straight days at VIR (almost 10 hours) and they still have a couple of days in them. I can't figure out why more people with Stoptechs aren't using them.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:45 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

The pad wear rates in front are generally pretty high on Corvettes although your BBK should mitigate that to some extent. Lots of weight on front/huge tires/high HP.

To some extent - the benefit of less paint/wheel damage and longer rotor life is offset by higher pad wear w/ Carbotech's. Pick your poison I suppose. However....Carbotech race pads for the ST60 are almost half as much as those from Hawk, PFC or Ferodo. Not quite as drastic - but same thing w/ the ST40 pads.

Carbotech XP12 for ST60 - $233
PFC 01 in 18mm thickness - $429 - Hawks are in this range as well.

Are you on R-compounds? If so - I would think you need a bit more heat resistance pad - perhaps XP-12's/Hawk DTC70/PFC 01 or higher etc. Extremely high wear is a good indication you are at the top end of the pads capabilities. That also can put your rotors in peril for grooving.

I would certainly consider moving up in compound whether you choose Carbotech's or not.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

member that a 996 has like a 40:60 weight distrib vs a well set up Vette which is near 50:50.

this greatly affects the fronts, adjustable bias for the master helps and you can move more to the rear.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

The porsche's definitely come w/ a more appropriate brake system.

That is why in the case where the user has gone to bigger brakes I would suggest that his pads are not quite enough. Even though the pads may take 1500 deg F - they generally won't last long doing so.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I have ST-60s front and ST-40s rear on my 2004 Z06 and I use Pagid Blue for the street, and I am very happy with them. However, I use PFC-01 or Cobalt 02 pads for the track.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake ducts may help.

Carbotech also has an XP2 compound that they recommend for endurance racing. Similar friction (bite) to the XP12 compound but longer life. I haven't seen information about this compound posted on their web site but they can talk you through the options if you give them a call.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Pagid (yellow) on my C4 race car and they work well for me. They seem to wear very well and are very consistent when braking.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Brake ducts may help.
Yes, thanks for reminding me: forgot to note that I'm using LG's spindle ducts.

Carbotech also has an XP2 compound that they recommend for endurance racing. Similar friction (bite) to the XP12 compound but longer life. I haven't seen information about this compound posted on their web site but they can talk you through the options if you give them a call.
As for you second point, I talked to both Mike, Sr. and Mike, Jr. at Carbotech about short pad life and neither suggested a different pad. The only suggestion was to try their pre-bedded pad to rule out any improper bedding. As noted above, made no difference.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by SDF
I use Pagid (yellow) on my C4 race car and they work well for me. They seem to wear very well and are very consistent when braking.
Yes, I used the yellows (RS19-front and RS29-rear) on my GT3 and Cayman S. Worked and wore well, but the pad material gets a bit crumbly at the end of their life.

I thought about going with the same combo on my Z -- slightly higher friction at rear -- but Steve Ruiz at StopTech told me that under hard braking, the weight/contact patch are the limiting factors, not torque.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes

To some extent - the benefit of less paint/wheel damage and longer rotor life is offset by higher pad wear w/ Carbotech's. Pick your poison I suppose. However....Carbotech race pads for the ST60 are almost half as much as those from Hawk, PFC or Ferodo. Not quite as drastic - but same thing w/ the ST40 pads.
Agreed: the Carbos cost less. Also agreed: they seem to be very kind to rotors.

As for corrosion, though, not with the Pagids I've used -- no paint or wheel damage.

Andy
Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A-Z
Yes, I used the yellows (RS19-front and RS29-rear) on my GT3 and Cayman S. Worked and wore well, but the pad material gets a bit crumbly at the end of their life.
I've used the Yellows as well on the C6 Z06 and the pad material gets "crumbly" in this application as well. The Blacks and Grays are somewhat less expensive and the material doesn't seem to break down like the Yellows. Also, the Blacks and Grays have more initial bite in my opinion.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcar00
I've used the Yellows as well on the C6 Z06 and the pad material gets "crumbly" in this application as well. The Blacks and Grays are somewhat less expensive and the material doesn't seem to break down like the Yellows. Also, the Blacks and Grays have more initial bite in my opinion.
So, do you have a preference at this point between the black and the gray? Pagid describes the black as a medium-high friction pad with good modulation. They describe the gray as a high friction pad with higher wear rate than the black and less modulation with light cars or boosted brakes. Based on this, I'm thinking the black might be preferable since I place a premium on modulation rather than outright stopping power. ?????

Andy
Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A-Z
So, do you have a preference at this point between the black and the gray? Pagid describes the black as a medium-high friction pad with good modulation. They describe the gray as a high friction pad with higher wear rate than the black and less modulation with light cars or boosted brakes. Based on this, I'm thinking the black might be preferable since I place a premium on modulation rather than outright stopping power. ?????

Andy
Based on what you are looking for I think the Blacks would work fine. I'm not going to know how well the Grays work until I find out how long they last along with my rotors. This is the first set I am trying.

If you decide to shop for the Blacks drop me a PM on your best pricing. I have several extra new sets and since I'm not sure if I will be using the Blacks or Grays going forward I may sell a set.

Get notified of new replies

To Pagids?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pagids?