Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day Video at Homestead Miami Speedway

Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Default First track day Video at Homestead Miami Speedway

Morning Guys,
Had my first HPDE yesterday in Miami. Had an awesome coach with Hooked on Driving. Some passing etc in the video. I used a GoPro camera mounted in my bumper opening.
I kept it to 8 mins. A really great learning day, thoroughly enjoyed it and am hooked. Got some great feedback prior from forum members. Really focussed on lines, apex, tracking out. Had a blast.Only car issues I had were oil temp and tranny temp. (288*) I have an 06 Z51 A6 widebody. I am thinking I need to go aftermarket coolers. Using the paddles helped keep temps down a little. What would you recomend for the track, especially Hot Miami.

David

Last edited by mcandrew67; 07-11-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty good for 1st time. What was your time?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
BennyBad
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

very nice car in person and its nice to see a car used for the purpose it was made for. not bad for your first time. mount the camera next time on the glass behind your right shoulder and so you can see your reactions and the cars to learn from.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by shifter77
Didn't even think to get lap times, was really focussing on learning lines, apex etc... next time...

Originally Posted by BennyBad
very nice car in person and its nice to see a car used for the purpose it was made for. not bad for your first time. mount the camera next time on the glass behind your right shoulder and so you can see your reactions and the cars to learn from.
Good idea, I had the suction mount arm but other than the outside couldn't figure where to put it. I had a bunch of mounts that stuck on so just used bumper. Didn't think about rear hatch glass.
You were there? Lot of nice rides there yesterday...
Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the addiction ! You will find that tracking your car is one of the most enjoyable things that you can do. Extreme heat in the engine and transmission will cause long term problems. Research extra cooling on the forum if you are going to do this regularly. There are numerous aftermarket oil and tranny coolers available from DRM, Lingenfelter and others.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 PM
sinatra vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your plate is awesome! love the car bro! good luck with it!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:08 AM
BennyBad
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Didn't even think to get lap times, was really focussing on learning lines, apex etc... next time...

Good idea, I had the suction mount arm but other than the outside couldn't figure where to put it. I had a bunch of mounts that stuck on so just used bumper. Didn't think about rear hatch glass.
You were there? Lot of nice rides there yesterday...
i was running my go cart on steroids, the flame wrapped Stohr WF1 DSR

very well run events as always with henry and great turn out if you need anything dont be shy and come by and say hello

benny
Old 07-12-2010, 07:52 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

Great day, Dave, Glad you had a fun day. You did a awesome job for the first time on the track. By the end of the day Dave was very smooth for the first time on the track. I really enjoyed the having you for a student
Unfortunately the automatics don't like our Florida heat. Hope to see you again, thanks for a great day. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 07-12-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Great day, Dave, Glad you had a fun day. You did a awesome job for the first time on the track. By the end of the day Dave was very smooth for the first time on the track. I really enjoyed the having you for a student
Unfortunately the automatics don't like our Florida heat. Hope to see you again, thanks for a great day. JD
Thanks Jim, learned a lot from you and will definitely be back to gain experience. Would you recommend I stay in C or move to B with a coach next time at Miami? I am already scoping dates
David
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BennyBad
i was running my go cart on steroids, the flame wrapped Stohr WF1 DSR

very well run events as always with henry and great turn out if you need anything dont be shy and come by and say hello

benny
Cool, saw you, very cool. Maybe see you at the next event.
David
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by shifter77
looked at video playback, best time was 1:58
Not sure how that rates. Saw a youtube of a c6r do 1:25 so I am way off there
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks Jim, learned a lot from you and will definitely be back to gain experience. Would you recommend I stay in C or move to B with a coach next time at Miami? I am already scoping dates
David
You should get several more events under your belt in C and with a coach. There are many more things to learn on the track, and I always remember what one of my first coaches told me."it's a lot more fun passing than being passed" work your way up slow, it's safer and more fun!!! Maybe some of the guys here on the forum that are tracking automatics can make some suggestions to help the cooling. I'm sure most would suggest you buy a Z06! LOL! Your car is beautifull!! Nice to see you drive it. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 07-12-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
BennyBad
Advanced

David
you had one of the best instructors and you can learn alot from him. take advandage of all the instruction you can until you are able to run a consistant line. you will learn its not how hard you drive but how smooth you drive and thats were you start getting faster but that takes time. i still talk with all the instructors and ask advise and reccomendations, because you need to be able to drive any and all lines around the track.

come to palm beach in 2 weeeks and fuel the addiction

benny

Get notified of new replies

To First track day Video at Homestead Miami Speedway

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First track day Video at Homestead Miami Speedway