Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to mid ohio for the first time...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM
sinatra vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to mid ohio for the first time...

hello bros. im taking the family to the american le mans series race at mid ohio in august. never been to mid ohio, or a proffesional race at all for that matter. this is my family and I first one. so , what do i need to look out for, what is a must to bring to these races? what should i check out when i get there. i definatly want to walk in the paddock and meet johnny o. any advice and tips are appriciated. anyone else here going to that race??
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I went to the ALMS race there last year, my first look at Mid-O. I really enjoyed it. Bring a good camera, there are many spots where you can get nice shots. You can walk around the whole track, especially the infield, so plan on lots of walking. There is no location where you can see more than a few corners, so its good to move around a bit. Much of the seating is on the grass. I took a portable chair but ended up regreting it as many of the seating locations are on a slope. Sitting on the grass was more convenient and the chair ended up being dead weight I had to carry around. Getting in the padock is easy and very cool but, depending on the day, it might be hard to meet the drivers (unless they have an autograph session). Corvette Racing will have a great store (T-shirts, hats, etc) so bring some extra cash. Should be fun for you and the family.

Here is a photo I took last year:
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 PM
sinatra vette
Instructor

thanks for the advice bro! i was going to bring chairs but now forget it. cant wait to see these cars live!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 AM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Couple of suggestions...

1. Consider purchasing Corvette Corral tickets. You get to park on the infield in a designated area on the infield (like most tracks be prepared to walk quite a bit if you park in the public parking areas), your ticket includes access to paddock and pits and the Corvette Racing drivers usually come to the Corral tent for a meet and greet to sign autographs.

2. Do a "recon lap" of Mid Ohio. NASA Midwest event is July 23 - 25 at M-O. We are scheduled to do a Hyperdrive session on Sat. July 24 at 11:30 or so. This is an introductory 20 minute session where you can drive on the track with an instructor after taking a basic track safety class. Cost is about $60. See www.nasagreatlakes.com for more information. You will appreciate the ALMS race a whole lot more if you can say "I drove on this track two weeks ago!" If you hang out for the day, you'll see some amazing Corvette race cars with some of the best drivers around.

3. Look me up in the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge paddock - our Xowii Racing Rx8 team is currently in 2nd place in the TC (Touring Car) class standings. We have 2 WC races that weekend - one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Glad to show you around the rig, get your family to sit in the race car and meet the team. Here is our web site www.xowii-racing.com. Hey, we're not Corvette Racing, but we're a pretty good little privateer team! Hope to see you down the road!

Last edited by 72Vega; 07-09-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
sinatra vette
Instructor

thanks! i will definatly stop by and check the team out! looking foward to it.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great advice Paul. I hope you're keeping Meyer out of trouble!

I'll remember to bring that picture of you in Japan this time.....

Matt
Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Loved seeing ALMS @ Mid-Ohio when I was out that way.

If the people with you don't mind, walk the track.

Every turn is a great view.

the Corvette Corral there was something else.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:16 PM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Follow up...

If you hang out for the day, you'll see some amazing Corvette race cars with some of the best drivers around.

One of the guys I was referring to is the above poster mrc24x ...if you want to see a very fast C4 driven by a quick talented driver then catch Matt's red rocket during a NASA event...hey Matt, you coming to MO in July??

Also, there is a track walk scheduled for Thursday 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. of the ALMS race weekend...if we're there, we'll likely take the golf cart rather than walk Seriously, Brian is correct, walking a track inside or outside the fence is a great way to understand what drivers see - braking zones, off camber turns, elevation changes (end of the back straight, Madness and Thunder Valley) and lots of other things that you just can't see on television.

Matt, you have no idea...just keeping up with Eric is a full time gig! And I've got some stories for you!!

Last edited by 72Vega; 07-10-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sinatra Vette,

If you make it to the track on the 24-25th be sure to stop by and say hi.

Paul,

I'll be there for the July and August events. I'll be running up a class (ST2) since PTA is all but dead in the Great Lakes Region....
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
68-427Rich
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The sound is unreal in the tunnel. Bring plenty of sunscreen and insect repellant.

Get notified of new replies

To going to mid ohio for the first time...

Quick Reply: going to mid ohio for the first time...