Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec clutch / Slave issues / Tick master cyl.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Spec clutch / Slave issues / Tick master cyl.

So after installing a Spec Clutch I'm having hydraulic issues and I'm tired of it.
I have a remote bleeder that I have to use every day at the track, but I want to fix this problem once and for all.
Basically I can't get a good pedal - ever. Clutch engagement is immediate (1 inch from floor at most) and I'm grinding gears badly.

Will the Tick adjustable m/c fix this problem?
I'm looking for experienced knowledge rather than speculation since 300 bucks is well.....300 bucks.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having clutch issues about 2 years ago right when the Tick was being developed. Unfortunately it wasn't available when my shop was to do the clutch change so I wasn't able to change it as well. I went to the LS7 setup.

From my research back then, I saw many favorable posts on ls1tech for it. My clutch was sticking though, so anything is an improvement over that. Now I'm running much faster and harder and not experiencing any clutch issues. I, however, don't shift as fast as I would if I were doing a TT just so I don't get back into a sticking clutch situation. I can still tell when the clutch is heating up because it becomes much more notchy when taking out/putting into gear.

It is my sneaking suspicion though that once you start having clutch issues, anything you do is a bandaid until you breakdown and put a new clutch in. 300 bux is well... cheaper then doing an entire clutch change. In which case if you did have to do a clutch change, at least the master would be new... and adjustable...
Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

A couple of months ago installed the Spec 2 with Al. flywheel on my '03 Z06. Stock M/C no worky-worky, you could not JAM it into gear! Installed Tick, works like a dream. Clutch is stiff but positive and engages close to floor which is perfect for track RPM/shift coordination. You will be happy with C5 operation. C6 is different story with Spec. They need a LOT more validation before releasing C6 stuff.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 06-30-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i put a tick in my gto track car (Spec 2 - RPM Level 5 T56) and it helped alot. Inherited a 1st and reverse gear engagement problem, and balky shifting in general, when i acquired current Z. installed the tick (first mod) and all shift issues were resolved. Im a believer. btw..the install is a real bitch...
will a tick fix your issue ? maybe.

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 07-01-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Have you determined why you have to bleed it everyday at the track??

I assume air is getting into the system..

Is the clutch finger height lower on the Spec clutch compared to the stock clutch.??

I doubt if anyone can say for sure that the Tick adj. m/c will fix the problem until we are certain what the problem is.

It could be a bad slave, a fluid leak at a line connection, or a bad m/c.

Good luck with your diagnosis.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Z06
I doubt if anyone can say for sure that the Tick adj. m/c will fix the problem until we are certain what the problem is.

It could be a bad slave, a fluid leak at a line connection, or a bad m/c.

Good luck with your diagnosis.
The problem is not unique. His problem began after installing the Spec clutch. I, another poster here, and several of my friends experienced the same M/C problem. Tick is a cure, not that others aren't but the OEM M/C just won't cut it.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default does this make sense

Originally Posted by southern_son
The problem is not unique. His problem began after installing the Spec clutch. I, another poster here, and several of my friends experienced the same M/C problem. Tick is a cure, not that others aren't but the OEM M/C just won't cut it.
The finger height on the spec clutch is lower and requires more throw on the bearing and the Tick master cylinder has more volume per the given travel so the throwout bearing has more travel to make up for the lower finger height???

Your thoughts...............

Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Rumor has it that the Mcleod unit is easier to install.
I have a cage with full Nascar bars on the drivers side so getting down there to pull the pedal is going to be a chore.
Any recommendations?
Old 07-01-2010, 01:46 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I have a cage with full Nascar bars on the drivers side so getting down there to pull the pedal is going to be a chore.
Any recommendations?
Im not sure the McLeod is as good a piece as the tilton that tick uses. Also, the Mcleod has a history of failing / leaking - doesn't it?

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 07-01-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem as you, put a homebrew tick in there and it fixed it.

Now, looking at it id just buy the tick piece and save myself some work...

And yes install is a HUGE bitch.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

mcleods dont exist
Old 07-01-2010, 02:14 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last I spoke to McLeod they said they had found another source for their adjustable MC.

FWIW, I've had no problems with my setup. Mcleod street twin, Mcleod adjustable MC and stock slave w/remote bleed line installed. I flush the fluid before every event as a precautionary measure, but I've never had the sticky pedal or clutch 'switch' that I read people talking about.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

McLeod part #139000. Looks to be available at Summit, Jegs, etc...
Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Any recommendations?
My trick has always been to remove the drivers seat and flip over on my back and throw your feet over the back. It helps to have friend hand you tools etc ...
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajg1915
My trick has always been to remove the drivers seat and flip over on my back and throw your feet over the back. It helps to have friend hand you tools etc ...
Yeah that was the plan, but I don't have any friends.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Spec II Clutch installed and clutch would not disengage. The Tick master cylinder solved the problem with mine too. The clutch pedal is quit stiff but it works well.
The installation is a little tough for an old guy like me especially with a roll cage, i put a nice thick blanket down in the floor board and then get on your back and put your feet up in the seat, take advil for the next two or three days!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott
I have the Spec clutch and had the same problem you are experiencing. I installed the Tick and have had no problems since. Let me know if I can help.
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Spec clutch / Slave issues / Tick master cyl.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yeah that was the plan, but I don't have any friends.
A case of beer and some sandwiches or pizza will solve that problem

Originally Posted by BERETTA
Spec II Clutch installed and clutch would not disengage. The Tick master cylinder solved the problem with mine too. The clutch pedal is quit stiff but it works well.
The installation is a little tough for an old guy like me especially with a roll cage, i put a nice thick blanket down in the floor board and then get on your back and put your feet up in the seat, take advil for the next two or three days!

I feel your pain, just got done pulling the tranny out of my all-wheel drive grand cherokee, what a job. Need to go take a nap now.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:28 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BERETTA
i put a nice thick blanket down in the floor board and then get on your back and put your feet up in the seat, take advil for the next two or three days!
Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I pulled the seat and used pillows and blankets like you suggested. I ache today in places that I thought I never would. It was a pretty tough job for sure.

sperkins
-part time contortionist-
Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I pulled the seat and used pillows and blankets like you suggested. I ache today in places that I thought I never would. It was a pretty tough job for sure.

sperkins
-part time contortionist-
Glad you got it put in, now you have time to recover before the Hotlanta Challenge!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spec clutch / Slave issues / Tick master cyl.