Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat question

Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat question

I just had a 180 thermostat installed in my 2007 Z. The computer was re tuned given the new thermostat. My motor which has not been on the track yet runs at 190 - 195. Since then my fan runs constantly. I spoke to the shop and the told me that the fan is a Pulse modulated fan which will run progressively until the motor gets to its operating temperature. This does not make any sense to me.

I would think using HP tuners i could code the computer to kick the fan on at a certain operating temp.

Is this correct - what should I do?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Most good tuners can program the computer either to turn on the fan whenever you want...or turn it off. There's not too many things a good tuner can't control on the new cars now. Take it Phoenix Performance...Joe and his guys can set it up how you want...no sweat.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
I just had a 180 thermostat installed in my 2007 Z. The computer was re tuned given the new thermostat. My motor which has not been on the track yet runs at 190 - 195. Since then my fan runs constantly. I spoke to the shop and the told me that the fan is a Pulse modulated fan which will run progressively until the motor gets to its operating temperature. This does not make any sense to me.

I would think using HP tuners i could code the computer to kick the fan on at a certain operating temp.

Is this correct - what should I do?
Why would you want the operating temperature to be below 190?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
TGiuliante
Racer

When I run at the track the engin temps seem to get up there so I want to keep them down a bit. with the 180 car seems to run at 195. I just want to get the fan to kick on after that
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

there should be more then enough air going through the radiator.

Did you try cleaning out the radiator ?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM
TGiuliante
Racer

yes i flushed it - all fresh fluid
Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not only flush but clean the dirt out of the radiator fins.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:19 AM
TGiuliante
Racer

No. that is a good point but that would not explain why my fan would run constantly. it did not before I put the 180 thermostat in - I had a stock thermostat in the car.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. that is a good point but that would not explain why my fan would run constantly. it did not before I put the 180 thermostat in - I had a stock thermostat in the car.
The fan running all the time is part of the tune you got, nothing to do with the thermostat. IIRC, on my C6 the fan doesn't even kick on until 235F or so with the stock tuning.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

When I run at the track the engin temps seem to get up there so I want to keep them down a bit. with the 180 car seems to run at 195. I just want to get the fan to kick on after that
Lower temp thermostats have zero to do with keeping your engine cooler on track. The t'stat setting identifies the coolest setting the engine will run at after warmup. The stock t'stat is fully open when you're on the track.

Now, on to your fans. That's controlled completely by your tune. Whether or not they need to come on when you're running at high speed on the track is something I don't fully understand. Some want the fans off because if the airflow through the radiator is faster than the fans can pull then running the fans actually hinders airflow, not to mention the additional electrical/heat load. I don't know if it's actually possible to get the airflow through the radiator fins to exceed the fans or not, though.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I am not even sure why you would need a retune just for a t-stat. All your doing is allowing it to open sooner to allow cooling sooner. Fans have nothing to do with t-stat. Fans should not even come on at any speed over 35mph otherwise they are counterproductive as stated earlier. Take it back and tell them to put the other tune back in.

Bob
Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

retune for a tstat? That's ridiculous.

I have HPTuners and I can control the on/off temps of each of my two fans. I have them to come on around 220* or so and turn off around 215*, iirc. I wouldn't overthink this if I were you. It's really not a big deal. Just buy HPTuners yourself and do what you want. You will surely change your mind occasionally, depending on what kind of racing/drag racing or street driving you do.

I hope that helps, but really, don't overthink it. You don't want your engine running below 180* for sure, and you would like to keep it below 235* on the high end for performance reasons.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm about to (when I get around to tearing the car open) swap back in my OEM tstat. XMS in tempe, az only had a 160deg tstat when I went to get a new one (wanted a 180), so I went with that. And its too damned cold.

It was fine in phoenix in the summer, and the engine with the big radiator wanted to run about 185-190 (in stop and go or moving). But I'd have been fine with a 180-195 tstat. There is no reason to run something colder than 180. And, even in phoenix in the non-summer it wasn't a good choice.

When its not 115 out though, the cold tstat doesn't do anything for you. Engine temps never go above 170, the PCM bitches about tstat performance, and it won't lean the mixture down so my gas milage sucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermostat question