Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Chain = New Crate LS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:46 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Broken Chain = New Crate LS6

I broke a timing chain at the track recently on my H/C/I LS6 and for a couple of reasons Ive decided to replace my hurt motor with a new crate LS6 long block - rather than repair.

Heres where I was hoping for some input..

The current motor is (was) equipped with a FAST 90 /90, Kooks LTs (1-7/8") and off-road pipes, and Borla Stinger that I'm thinking of re-using on the new motor - in part because I already own the stuff. I may do a cam kit later, but not now (i think).

I wonder what "area under the curve" will look like with this set-up, and what type of performance and drive-ability I can expect compared to a stock LS6 install (factory intake / exhaust). Im not so much worried about the gains that these components may produce, as much as I am about loosing some hp/tq with these parts installed on an otherwise stock LS6. The car is used mostly for occasional road course HPDEs (nothing too serious), along with some weekend street driving. It will be properly dyno tuned.

Thoughts ?

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 11-06-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With 346 c.i. and 10.8 to 1 and a stock LS6 cam you will probably find some torque loss with the 1 7/8 in headers.

I believe Nick at ARH has some data on the exact loss between 1 3/4 and 1 7/8. You may also want to try search on LS1tech as they do quite a bit of testing on that forum.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
I broke a timing chain at the track recently and for a couple of reasons Ive decided to replace my hurt motor with a new crate LS6 long block - rather than repair.

Heres where I was hoping for some input..

The current motor is (was) equipped with a FAST 90 /90, Kooks LTs (1-7/8") and off-road pipes, and Borla Stinger that I'm thinking of re-using on the new motor - in part because I already own the stuff. I may do a cam kit later, but not now (i think).

I wonder what "area under the curve" will look like with this set-up, and what type of performance and drive-ability I can expect compared to a stock LS6 install (factory intake / exhaust). Im not so much worried about the gains that these components may produce, as much as I am about loosing some hp/tq with these parts installed on an otherwise stock LS6. The car is used mostly for occasional road course HPDEs (nothing too serious), along with some weekend street driving. It will be properly dyno tuned.

Thoughts ?
I'm in the same boat. Broke mine last week during a HPDE. Struggled with new long block or fixing what I have. 3 pistons kissed the valves so at minimum I need heads reworked and new timing chain/gear set. Called Chris at ECS and he convinced me to fix it and put it back together. Parts and labor under a grand to fix.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a stock longblock (LS1) and 1 3/4" primary headers, no cats, and 2.5" corsa indy pace car exhaust. I noticed torque loss down real low, but it was easy to live with because the torque increase from 3k up was enormous.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you, and you could always go to smaller primary headers if you are concerned about it.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:39 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

well turned-out damage was manageable so decided to rebuild. I've already installed a new LS6 crate so.....anyone need a fresh H/C/I LS6 long-block ?

SOLD !

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 11-06-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How do you guys manage to break a timing chain????

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Chain = New Crate LS6

Quick Reply: Broken Chain = New Crate LS6