Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran my first race at Road Atlanta Video Inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Ran my first race at Road Atlanta Video Inside

After buying my T1 car, there were a bunch of things I needed to do to get it ready for Nasa ST2. Installed a kill switch, installed a right side window net, replace out of date belts, replace window net, etc. Worked hard up to the event and got it all done. Then I had to write a big check to Discovery for Defender neck brace, new helmet, fire suit, shoes, etc. Ron was great to deal with and gives a 10% NASA discount.

Got to track for tech Thursday night and Jim told me my belts which I swapped out of the camaro were not FIA and were only good for two years. Back to Discovery and $150 later I had a new set of belts. Installed the belts, tightened my battery hold down, installed a myriad of stickers and all was good for tech.

Friday rolled around and it was time for comp school. I was a bit worried as the schedule was very tight – track time – run to class – back to track. We did 4 30 minute sessions in the morning and 3 class sessions. I was afraid I would have trouble getting used to all of the new gear-defender, suit, gloves, window nets etc. but I came up with a procedure getting in and out of the car and it wasn’t bad at all. I really like the added security of the neck protection. It was hot as hell in the suit and I ended up drinking about 20 bottles of water that day. It was also the first time I had ever driven this car on track so that added to the excitement.

The comp school was a good time. The first session was just lapping. Second session you drive 3 laps on the left or right side of the track and then switch to the other side for the next three laps. I had driven offline quite a bit in TT, but doing it to this extent was actually pretty good training. The next session we got a partner (in my case Mark (drivinhard)) and we drove side by side the entire session swapping sides. The following session we took turns passing each other in the corners, and finally after lunch we had a mock race.

I was planning just to run TT, but Varkwso and some others talked me into entering the ST2 race on Saturday. I ran a couple of TT sessions and then qualified. Since I was a rookie, they made me start at the back of ST2. The race started and I managed to get behind Varkwso. We had fun racing for a few laps until I finally managed to get by. My car seems not to have as much power as the other cars – I was told this car had 390 at the wheels, but this is definitely not the case, as most of the vettes were pulling on me. Anyway, I was in second place and looking for the 1st place car Rob L. (James Forbis was much faster than anyone but decided only to run a few laps.) when I started getting some smoke in the car. I figured it was just oil on the exhaust so I kept going. The smoke then got so bad I could hardly see, so I pulled off in turn 7. I thought I was on fire, but it turned out to be diff fluid, so everything was ok.

That night I found a loose diff cooler fitting. Stairman came over to help and donated some diff fluid. Thanks for the help! Stairman is a great guy and extremely fast racer. He does need to paint his car orange, because you can’t see the green car when it’s off track!

The next day I thought I would be good to go, but I got more smoke, and the differential blew in the qualifying race. I managed to pull off in 7 again, which is a great place because you can drive back through the infield. The car wouldn’t move so I got a tow. It turned out that my tow hook was not mounted properly, and about ½ way back, the tow truck pulled the tow hook and radiator support right out of the car, managing to tear the hell out of the front nose. Needless to say I was not a happy camper.

Watching my video, you can hear the differential scream. This has been around since I bought the car. The guy that sold it to me told me it had some massaged gears in it, so I assumed this was causing the noise, now I know better, so I’m in the market for a new diff, which needs to be in the car so I can go to the NCM event on Sunday.

As far as the car, it felt great, it would be nice to have some more power. I did learn that a stock T1 car is not prepped to compete with a ST2 car prepped to the rules. James was untouchable with his car. I did have old tires, and was bringing up the speed gradually, lap time 1:38.0 subtract a few seconds for new tires I am at 1:34-1:35 which is still a few seconds behind James.

I am going to leave the car the way it is and get some races under my belt. I have a lot to learn about racecraft, there is a lot more to it than just driving fast laps.

Anyway take a look a the video, it’s pretty good.

http://www.timz06.com/roadatlanta/ra1.wmv

Tim

Last edited by Timz06; 06-21-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

sounds like straight cut gears in the trans

considering the old tires, looking good till she blew

had fun in comp school to
Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tim,

What's with the crappy tires? You were also on old tires a few years back chasing me in the ZR1.

Good to see you mixing it up! You're a good driver and will certainly have your share of wins!

See you at VIR!

Mike
Old 06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

WOW! That buzz reminded me of sitting in the dentist chair. About 2 laps of that, and I'd have bailed!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Tim,

What's with the crappy tires? You were also on old tires a few years back chasing me in the ZR1.

Good to see you mixing it up! You're a good driver and will certainly have your share of wins!

See you at VIR!

Mike
Thanks Mike, it's called being poor!
My plan is to win some tires. I got one on Saturday for TTS. I would have gotten one in the race if the car hadn't blown up.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Falcon
WOW! That buzz reminded me of sitting in the dentist chair. About 2 laps of that, and I'd have bailed!
I thought it sounded a bit like Hans Stuck's M3 GTR in the Nürburgring video...
Old 06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon

Originally Posted by Timz06
Thanks Mike, it's called being poor!
My plan is to win some tires. I got one on Saturday for TTS. I would have gotten one in the race if the car hadn't blown up.
Just bustin' your chops!

I ran some early races this year on last years tires trying to be thrifty. Pilgrim bitched me out a few years ago when he was helping me set up my car and I had scrubs on it. :o

Hope you have the car together for VIR.

BTW...Nice pass at the 7:13 mark, I would have expected a more defensive line.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

I know, I'm just joking around
Right now I just need to get the car sorted and some seat time racing. I have a truckload of scrubs that came with the car-I'll use those up and then I'll be ready for some new hoosier A's.

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

Just bustin' your chops!

I ran some early races this year on last years tires trying to be thrifty. Pilgrim bitched me out a few years ago when he was helping me set up my car and I had scrubs on it. :o

Hope you have the car together for VIR.

BTW...Nice pass at the 7:13 mark, I would have expected a more defensive line.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Right now I just need to get the car sorted
looks like you got a solid base to work from, but if they got the front toe hook attached to the rad cradle , I'd be going through every nut and bolt
Old 06-21-2010, 06:04 PM
stairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim
if I had known your diff sounded that bad Saturday night we would have pronounced it DOA at that time .
sorry about your luck.
see you out there again soon
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job! Damn man, that diff was past it's nine lives.

Aaron
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

I guess I should have known, but it doesn't matter anyway I need a new one in either case. It is a bit tricky to load/unload a car on an open tilt trailer that has on parking brake and no differential!

On another note, I wonder if I have crap in my diff cooler. My pump stopped working so I am assuming there is crap in it. Is there a way to flush that out?

Tim
Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I should have known, but it doesn't matter anyway I need a new one in either case. It is a bit tricky to load/unload a car on an open tilt trailer that has on parking brake and no differential!

On another note, I wonder if I have crap in my diff cooler. My pump stopped working so I am assuming there is crap in it. Is there a way to flush that out?

Tim
I use a 2500lb winch to load my vette on a trailer. It was only $100 and I've been using it for several years.

And don't feel in the least bit bad about hooking a winch hook to a strap wrapped around a front lower a-arm. It won't damage anything at all, in the least, regardless of what anyone else may say.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 06-21-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:00 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn man sorry to hear about all the troubles did looby ever get back to you???

also wow that blows about the tow hook being wrong.

hope you get it all fixed up and ready for the next one
Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy SH*t. I had to mute the video just to be able to watch it. I thought for sure it was going to blow up going thru the esses and into turn 6.
You couldn't hear that???
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Do we need to bring a diff for you on Sunday. My guys could help you get it installed Sunday Night. You would need to let me know what you are using for oiler coolers. My race diff has a pinion spray bar in it that has a oil line that runs into the LH side. The pick up is from the drain plug. I would need to know asap so that he could get it built in time for us to leave. We will be there Sunday evening, and I believe we check in to our garages around 4 or so.

Justin

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 06-22-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ran my first race at Road Atlanta Video Inside

Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

WOW what an offer.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you really thought you had second place locked up?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

You got stuck back there with the mustang, but I know you were hanging back to avoid the oil mist...we'll have to see next time when the cars are running right. It will be a fun race for sure.

Tim

Quick Reply: Ran my first race at Road Atlanta Video Inside