Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Fuel in a Stock Z06?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Race Fuel in a Stock Z06?

Sunoco is offering cash contingencies to cars running their race fuels (100 octane or higher) in a local SCCA regional autox series.

Can race fuels be used, or taken advantage of, without reprogramming the cpu? Any upside, or downside in a stock ls6, other than cost?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

you will gain nothing without a reprogramming IMO.......unless for some reason your car is running on the low-spark table now (due to poor fuel etc). Extra timing from a reprogram could give some power gain, but unless the contingencies more than make up for the double fuel cost, I wouldn't do it
Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Sunoco is offering cash contingencies to cars running their race fuels (100 octane or higher) in a local SCCA regional autox series.

Can race fuels be used, or taken advantage of, without reprogramming the cpu? Any upside, or downside in a stock ls6, other than cost?
The biggest issue that I know of is the expense. There may be some advantage timing wise, or if you have higher than normal compression. I have stayed away form the race fuel (even though I love the smell) specifically because of the triple to quadruple cost.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much is it now I used to run it in the race boat even though we didn't need it as not to get a bad load of fuel in an important races.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I usually run it when I'm on the track, at least a 50/50 mix. Then again, my car has always had a tendency to detonate with most 91/92 with even a bit of heat soak.

That $6/gal race fuel is insurance. The last thing I want to do is to bust a piston or rings, so its worth it to me to put it in.

Hmm, also, all of the events I've done were in the south west at elevated temps, so that might have something to do with it.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

if I remember correctly from a couple weekends ago Unleaded Race Gas @ Watkins Glen was $7.50/gal.

Bill
Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Please post the exact wording of the Sunoco offer.
I have a Z06...............but it is a 1963 Z06.........which can use "race fuel"!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sometimes will put a gallon or two of Sunoco's 100 Octane fuel in my car just as Insurance to prevent any knock retard from kicking in. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but at the same time, it isn't adding horsepower that wasn't there, just prevents it from being taken away.

Do you have a link to this local auto-X contingency offer?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
if I remember correctly from a couple weekends ago Unleaded Race Gas @ Watkins Glen was $7.50/gal.

Bill
I had to buy a couple of gallons at Road Atlanta so I could make it to the local gas station to fill up. $ 9.50 / gal.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69

Do you have a link to this local auto-X contingency offer?
Here you go: http://www.phillyscca.com/forum/view...6d8b3bd5cad974

And here's what it says for those of us too lazy to click on the link...like me....:

We are excited to announce a new sponsorship/contingency program from Sunoco available to all drivers in Philadelphia Region Solo events this year. The details are in the paragraphs that follow.

Sunoco — The Official Race Fuel for the
2010 Philadelphia Region SCCA Solo Series

$2,000 will be awarded to drivers at Philly Region Solo events
over the course of the 2010 season.

Sunoco will award $2,000 to drivers in Philadelphia Region Solo events throughout the 2010 Solo series starting with the event on April 25th and going through our final event November 7th.

Sunoco is synonymous with high performance fuels in nearly every discipline of racing and the Philadelphia Region is honored to have the company sponsoring its Solo events. All $2,000 of the Sunoco sponsorship funds will be distributed to drivers through awards at each Solo event weekend. Philadelphia Region is proud to partner with Sunoco to help support the hundreds of grassroots drivers who participate in our events.

Sunoco Awards Program Details:

Up to four drivers at each Solo event will receive a $50 cash award.

To be eligible for an award, Sunoco decals must be placed on each side the car. We will make Sunoco decals available at registration as soon as they arrive.

Each weekend, drivers must go to Registration the morning of the Solo event and enter their participation in the Sunoco Awards Program. Participating drivers must bring a Sunoco race fuel (100 octane or higher) proof-of-purchase to Registration to be eligible for an Award. Drivers must present Sunoco fuel proof-of-purchase consisting of either race track or off-site Sunoco vendor fuel pump receipts totaling no less than $15 from no earlier than two weeks prior to the day of the event, and no later than the start time of the event.

After the event, during the awards presentation, the Event Chairman will draw winning names at random from those signed up and notify the drivers. Winners’ checks will be mailed from the Philadelphia Region Office after event results are official.

We are excited about bringing this new program to our Solo participants and recognizing Sunoco's history of supporting motorsports.

You can find qualifying Sunoco Race Fuel at the pump at these locations: Heilman's Sunoco Ultra Service Center, Rts 1 & 202, Chadds Ford, PA 19317, (610) 358-5400 and Self Heating and Cooling, 219 Keith Valley Road, Horsham, PA 19044, (267) 803-4840. You should call to verify hours and availability before going.

You can also look for locations through the Sunoco web page:
http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consum...T100Locations/

This program will apply at every 2010 Solo Series event, so don't panic if you don't have time to purchase fuel to qualify before this Sunday's event. There are several more events this year and we expect participation to increase over time.

Jeff Jacobs
Asst. R.E.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

unless you have a programmer and can swithc with a button between fuel types on the ECY its not worth the $7-9 a gallon for 98 / 100 octane.

Most tracks ahve a Sunnoco within 4-8 miles away so they can sell inflated priced 93 to all of us. Pocono has 2 one 4 miles to the left and one 6 miles to the right.

THis weekend the left one was 3.19 for 93 and the one to the right was 3.59

Guess how quick the word got out.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Fuel in a Stock Z06?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Race Fuel in a Stock Z06?