Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment before or after new shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 03:00 AM
GCMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment before or after new shocks?

Wilst waiting for my new Konis to arrive, I have been undecided whether it makes any difference to get my autocross alignment before or after I install the new shocks. I assumed that it would matter but was recently told it doesn't change much to do it before. Opinions/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

after
Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 AM
derty01
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I doubt it will change any.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

doesn't matter
Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I doubt it will change any.
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
doesn't matter
not necessarily true.

Many times when people change shocks they need to reset their ride heights and thus alignments. This has to do with changes in shock canister pressure and length of the shock.

I know of several people that had their cars riding an inch or so higher once putting fancy shocks on.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I autoX on Konis. The ride height will increase a little with the Koni's, therefore changing your alignment.

Do shocks first, then ride height, then corner weight&alignment.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Many times when people change shocks they need to reset their ride heights and thus alignments. This has to do with changes in shock canister pressure and length of the shock.

I know of several people that had their cars riding an inch or so higher once putting fancy shocks on.
Yup yup. When I put the KONI 3013Sports on (replacing stock, low mile C6 Z51 shocks) it made a real difference in ride height and it was not an even increase front and rear... shock guy warned me about it and said I would need an alignment after putting them on...
Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wallyman424
This has to do with changes in shock canister pressure and length of the shock.
hadn't considered shock pressure ... you're right. i don't see how shock length comes into the picture though.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
GCMan
Instructor

I'm sure it would make a slight difference but since I'm very camber challenged on stock settings and my konis won't make it before the next event, I'll report back on how it changes. I am getting awhole bunch of OPR build up on the insides of my A6's and am guessing it might be due to lack of camber. Just a guess but thanks for the input.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
hadn't considered shock pressure ... you're right. i don't see how shock length comes into the picture though.
Same as shock pressure if you already agree canister pressure is added "spring rate." :-)
Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Same as shock pressure if you already agree canister pressure is added "spring rate." :-)
i still don't get it
Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Now you've got me thinking... in the case of leaf springs the shorter shock may not matter because you're going to have to compress (ie. preload) the spring to install the shorter shock. So you still overcome the equivalent shock+spring "rate" and should settle at the same static ride height. This assumes you have to add preload to the spring due to the shorter shock...

In the case of a coilover, a shorter overall shock length would change ride height... ie. changing out the end-eye on the shock for one an inch shorter you'd start an inch shorter but have to compress the same amount to find static ride height but end up shorter overall.

Nope, you're right, I think. In the case of a leaf spring, OA shock length shouldn't matter, assuming some amount of spring preload...
Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
In the case of a coilover, a shorter overall shock length would change ride height... ie. changing out the end-eye on the shock for one an inch shorter you'd start an inch shorter but have to compress the same amount to find static ride height but end up shorter overall.
You are assuming that different length shocks would come with the same length springs, and also a design where preload and ride height are not independent adjustments. But more fundamentally, that preload affects ride height, which shouldn't be the case for normal (minimal required) preload.

In any case, as you noted we are talking about the OEM leaf spring. A different shock length from OEM will just place the shock at a different part of its travel. Unless there's some effect of gas pressure vs shock extension I don't see how this would affect the ride height.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Pretty sure we're in voilent agreement.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

put in the new shocks. drive them on the street (bumpy street) for a few days. then get the alignment done.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
GCMan
Instructor

Too late! Already done the alignment. Shocks won't be here for awhile. The tech let me "help" him. I was running on -1.4ish both frt and rear all messed up -.73RR and -1.42LR. Now I got -2.6 both front and -1.1 both rear. I will stay with 1/2 " total toe in rear and 1/16 toe out front and see what happens this weekend. Interesting discussion but I had so much "other peoples rubber" built up on the inside fronts it was crazy. I had to scrape all that off to get to real rubber before they would align it. Its put up or shut up weekend and I'm tired of getting second. I do appreciate the input though and will install the konis and report back what the changes were. It was interesting to sit in the drivers seat after everything was tightened and see how my weight changed things. My frt camber INCREASED on the RIGHT side by roughly .06 *. Left side stayed very close to -2.6*.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GCMan
My frt camber INCREASED on the RIGHT side by roughly .06 *.
increased meaning more negative?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 PM
GCMan
Instructor

Yes, more negative on the right side. I did it several times to make sure I wasn't getting weird readings. I thought it would be a bigger difference by adding my weight but didn't expect it change the passenger side and not the drivers side.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment before or after new shocks?

Quick Reply: Alignment before or after new shocks?