Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 point roll bar question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 point roll bar question

I have a 2007 Z. I want to install a 4 point roll bar for now - what and who do you recomend. Doe anyone make a good quality bolt in?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You will find a plethora of discussion if you search this topic. Your specific height/size will dictate whether or not you can use any of the standard bolt in stuff. I welded plates onto my vette bulkhead and extended the subframe bolts (replaced with longer allthread studs of same grade) out the top of the inside of my trunk for attachment points. I have a c5, but it would be the same for either of our cars.

Everything about mine is completely custom though. Wolfe and Pfadt make some nice setups. Pfadt especially.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Pfadt bar in mine.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

they are the same (c5 vs c6) except that his frame is aluminum. Pfadts mounts with Rivnuts as I remember, which would not pass tech as an actuall rollover device, although the quality looks very nice. With proper reinforcement, the Pfadt bar would probably suffice, or Autopower makes a full bolt-in cage (with reinforcement plates, etc) and you could probably just use the rear half of it.

link to the Autopower unit http://www.ioportracing.com/rbc/05Co...vetteZ06-4.htm
Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Talk to the guys at ECS. I have seen their bars in C5s and they are one of the few suppliers that seem to do it right.

Bill
Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

I really debated on Harness Bar vs. 4 Point Chassis Bar vs. Cage for a long time. A cage was fairly quickly ruled out given my desire to remain streetable. The decision I ultimately made was to go for a harness bar as I had serious doubts about whether the 4 point bars really provided significant rollover protection given how they attach to the aluminum frame. If I had a steel frame I probably would have chosen the 4 point bar but for a C6Z I decided it wasn't worth the money and hassle for what I perceived as a very small improvement in safety. You may decide differently.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
I have a 2007 Z. I want to install a 4 point roll bar for now - what and who do you recomend. Doe anyone make a good quality bolt in?
Hi TGiuliante,

Thanks for taking the time to call us today. I hope the info we sent you was what you were looking for. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

In the bars \ cage section is a list of several 4 point vendors:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
MYRX
Instructor

I went through this exercise about three weeks ago. It depends on your ultimate goal with a 4-point bar, but with a corvette you must also consider the diameter of the tubes to make the 4-point bar legal, especially if you wish to consider doing SCCA TT events. I recall the tubes must be 1.750" x .120". Bolt ins I believe are legal. Not sure about rivnuts.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

MYRX - what did you go with?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I just bought a Pfadt bar, new from someone who decided not to install it. Putting it in my 02 Z06. It's a pita to install. Got the main hoop in there now after much fussing and swearing. Working on the down bars this weekend. Then hopefully done.

It passes SCCA on the bar specs. It is 1.75 OD, .120 wall. It bolts it in to frame in all 4 places. Mine will be welded in later. Right now I just want to get that biatch in.

The Z06 is tougher since you don't have the hatch back. The top of the hoop comes really close to the top of the rear window. The good news is the visibility through rear view mirror is very good. Most of the other bars pretty much kill that. Especially the Autopower and one other I can't remember the name of right now.

Take a look at the height of the main hoop on some of these roll bars once they are installed. Then look at where the top of your head/helmet is in relation to that...
Old 05-20-2010, 03:39 PM
MYRX
Instructor

TGiuliante:

I have not made a decision yet. I can't weld, and there isn't a shop that will do this anywhere close to my home. I wanted the PFADT bar, but still am not convinced about the ruling the SCCA will have on the rivnuts. Probably going to have to bite the bullet and have someone build me a 4-point and do the install as well. At present, I do HPDE 3 with NASA, but wish to do TT with the SCCA. Missing an event at Rd. Atlanta this weekend because I do not have a 4-point bar. Harness bars don't cut it with the SCCA in level 3 TT events.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid1
I really debated on Harness Bar vs. 4 Point Chassis Bar vs. Cage for a long time. A cage was fairly quickly ruled out given my desire to remain streetable. The decision I ultimately made was to go for a harness bar as I had serious doubts about whether the 4 point bars really provided significant rollover protection given how they attach to the aluminum frame. If I had a steel frame I probably would have chosen the 4 point bar but for a C6Z I decided it wasn't worth the money and hassle for what I perceived as a very small improvement in safety. You may decide differently.

Good luck.
What harness bar did you go with?

Get notified of new replies

To 4 point roll bar question

Quick Reply: 4 point roll bar question