Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer for Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM
usmc42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer for Z06?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to buy a car hauler for my 09 Z06 within the next couple days and found this one near me and want to know if its a good trailer for the vetter?

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heavy...iler-p307.html
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc42
Hey guys,

I'm trying to buy a car hauler for my 09 Z06 within the next couple days and found this one near me and want to know if its a good trailer for the vetter?

Looks good. What type of brakes? Dexter is good and easy to get parts for. See if they can make the fenders removable for more clearance when opening the doors.

Not sure from reading if it has break-away battery so it the trail comes loose the electric applies the brakes. Some states require it now. Spare tire mount on frame. Also if you can upgrade the tires it is cheap now for higher load range. Those a C range tires they are giving you. D or E is better.

searched an E is available trailers have ST type tires which is important. So all tires should start with ST 205 XXXXXXXXX

Their bigger stuff looks good too. Where are they located? Didn't see it on the site.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-13-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:35 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to run a trailer like that, and was very happy with it. You will need a set of race ramps to load without the splitter scraping.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Trailer looks good.

Damper cylinder is indicated in specs. This implies it controls the lowering of the trailer. How do you raise the trailer to load?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 PM
jawfixer
Instructor

Hey guys,

Open trailers have several advantages--BUT--your car will have better protection in all aspects in an enclosed trailer from the road and theft.
A new vette in an open trailer?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

That is not a rollback design! So as mentioned before without some sort of additional ramps it is going to be to steep for a vette. Try loading before you buy!! JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 05-13-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by jawfixer
Open trailers have several advantages--BUT--your car will have better protection in all aspects in an enclosed trailer from the road and theft.
After it hits the track it wont be new anymore

As stated there are advantages and disadvantages to either type of trailer. I have an open since I wanted to keep my TBSS and I only tow around 10 times per year. If I did more I would buy a bigger tow vehicle and then get an enclosed.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:08 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jawfixer
I just sold an enclosed in favor of an open trailer. Open trailers are much easier to pull and load, and for someone that does occasional weekend track days, it's much less of a pain in the ***.
The only problem I see with that trailer is you can't build a rock shield/tire rack on the front.

Trailer looks good.

Damper cylinder is indicated in specs. This implies it controls the lowering of the trailer. How do you raise the trailer to load?
By balance. The bed is slightly weghted to the back; you pull two pins and the deck slowly tilts down. When you drive the car on, it slowly tilts back up; you replace the pins and position the car.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
usmc42
Instructor

They have a bunch of locations but one is in lexington NC which is only a couple hours away. Honestly if its still gunna require ramps I might go another route. I was intrigued because it looked like it might not need ramps. I don't want an enclosed because they are easily twice as expensive and a lot more weight. I'm pulling with a chevy 1500 so want to keep weight down. Open trailer is just like driving it down the highway? I'm trying to beat my waxer ways cuz I want to get to the track and I know I never will if I nit-pick over every little thing that might RUIN MY CAR =) I'm looking at a Quality Trailers brand 18 footer. I'll see what else I can find. I need one quick!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

just about everything needs a couple of 2x6 ramps it is no big deal. It probably has a two way hydraulic cylinder in front to lift and control lowering when you drive up and lower. 20' will give you more room for tire rack and tool box.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

for that money I would throw in another grand and get a used enclosed.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

See towing section here.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

I personally love my tilt hydrolic open trailer.
Closed are much better, if you:
1) got the extra cash
2) got the place to put it
3) got the truck to pull the added weight

In that link you will also find all the links for all the special straps etc that make hauling your car and loading it onto the trailer WAY WAY easier. Rather thatn drive on I recommend a inexpensive winch with a deep cycle battery to run it. Especially in the rain when your rcomp/hoosier isnt gripping much easier and safer way to load on the incline.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
usmc42
Instructor

Hey guys, I found a pretty sweet aluminum 20' trailer in my area for a decent price. It has upgraded trailer tires and hydraulic jack and electric winch. The only thing I can see wrong is that it only has brakes on one of the axles. Is this gunna be okay or will I need brakes on both axles?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

You really need brakes on both axles! The car is 3000+ and trailer 1500=4500#s. What are you pulling it with? Maybe if you are pulling it with a dulley you could get a way with one axle brakes. But if it was me I would add the extra brakes. Check to see if the non brake axle has the bolt plate welded on it, if so, you can buy the brake assemblies for each side and add the brakes to the existing axle. If not? you will have to get a complete new axle with the brakes. Drop me a PM or e-mail or call if you need help. JD
Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I got a brand new 18' open trailer for less than $2200 that has full steel deck, 17' tires, dual axles w/brakes, removable fender, extended ramps and dovetail. Also has 1 year warranty. I am located in Hickory. If you want more info I can get it for you. I have used mine 4 times and it works great.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Hey guys, I found a pretty sweet aluminum 20' trailer in my area for a decent price. It has upgraded trailer tires and hydraulic jack and electric winch. The only thing I can see wrong is that it only has brakes on one of the axles. Is this gunna be okay or will I need brakes on both axles?
in the rain you would have only two tires slowing you. If something happens to one axle you still have another. I think in some states you meed brakes on both. They should offer it as an up charge usually.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:37 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by waddisme
I got a brand new 18' open trailer for less than $2200 that has full steel deck, 17' tires, dual axles w/brakes, removable fender, extended ramps and dovetail. Also has 1 year warranty. I am located in Hickory. If you want more info I can get it for you. I have used mine 4 times and it works great.
.....I would like more info, I have a friend getting ready to buy.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:29 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

The guy has a plant here and can custom make it just about however you like. For me, he dropped the back a few inches and extended my ramps so I can get my C5Z on without additional ramps. Here is his number828)302-4766 and his name is Reggie. I have some pics somewhere, I just can't find them. HTH.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I (and several others I track with) own Kaufman 18' open trailers: http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heavy...auler-p65.html

I like it. To help with the loading angle, we had them made with 7' ramps instead of 6'. With that and the 2' dovetail, my lowered C5Z does not scrap as long as I unload/load on flat ground (hooked to my '08 F250)

-Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer for Z06?

Quick Reply: Trailer for Z06?