Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA TT question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Default NASA TT question

I just joined NASA and will run the hpde at Brainerd Int'l on May 22. I've got 15 years of hpde experience and chose the hpde 3 group. Thought about the TT, but I wasn't sure how to class my stock C6 Z06 on street tires for the time trials. Anyone know whether I would be in a TT class with cars on sticky tires?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I just joined NASA and will run the hpde at Brainerd Int'l on May 22. I've got 15 years of hpde experience and chose the hpde 3 group. Thought about the TT, but I wasn't sure how to class my stock C6 Z06 on street tires for the time trials. Anyone know whether I would be in a TT class with cars on sticky tires?

Yes ...you would be placed with race cars in the C6Z06. Since it surpasses the 8.7:1 threshold of TTA-TTF it is immedicately placed in S-U-R, running in TTU with unlimited mods and a pwr/wt minumum ratio of 5.5:1....
Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 935 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Like Danny said, you would not only be in a class of cars with sticky tires, but a class where anything goes as far as mods. On the bright side though, if you do decide to modify your car no matter what you do you are going to be in the same class!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

You would be dog meat, but who cares. I think Damien runs TTU.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought. Hpde 3 doesn't sound so bad afterall.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

it's worth doing anyway if you like open passing. Who cares about the results if you have fun. Here in the SE, they grid you by time, so after the first session you go out chasing slightly faster cars, which is a fun way to run DE anyway.

I've been pretty competitive in a stock Z06 with scrub slicks, and I like the format better than DE.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

It would be cool to see some official stock C6Z06 lap times on the new track.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Would probably have to have a checkride with the TT director or chief instructor or somebody they designate.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A C6Z on A6's would probably do pretty well regionally in SUR.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the TTU guys would love to have you. That's because of the contingency for tires. If you run on Hoosiers, and put Hoosier stickers on your car and have a certain number of folks entered in your class AND join the contingency program, you can win up to two tires per day at a NASA TT. Thus, if you were the guy that made that possible, the other TTU guys would definitely owe you a beer or two. And the time trial community is generally pretty good people.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done 30ish DEs and a few weeks ago did my first NASA weekend. I also went into HPDE3. It turned out to be rather a bad mistake - everyone was 10 or more seconds slower than I wanted to go in my well-under-200hp e36 and the experience level of the other drivers wasn't confidence-inspiring.

So assuming that things are similar in your region, I'd suggest that you talk yourself into HPDE4. Perhaps talk to the organizers and find out what sort of lap times their HPDE3 group is turning.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

You could do what I (and many others here) have done and get your TT licsence in one weekend.
Start in HPDE 3 and get signed off for HPDE 4 ...get a check ride and get signed off for TT.
Assuming you are comfortable with open passing and an experienced driver this is all possible.
Sticky tires are important however IMO ..I ran 4 weekends last year on R comp scrubs then bought new R6's for the last 2 weekends. You will ruin stock tires quickly. (As you know).
You just have to realise that you're not going to be the fast guy on track without new A comps ...I did reasonably well considering I ran in TTU ...however when Danny or Ken showed up ..not so well LOL.
The Hoosier contingency plan is great and alll the NASA guys that I met are very cool people always willing to help a guy out ...thanks for the MAF Danny.
It may be that you don't/won't enjoy the more competative TT class but I think you'll be "hooked" after a couple of sessions.
Of course YMMV.
Good luck.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Helpful comments. Thanks! I signed up for hpde 3 and have given some thought to asking to be moved to hpde 4 after a sesssion or two in hpde 3 and then a check ride for TT. I guess I'll see how it goes.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 PM
GAS
Instructor

Hi Lawdogg...My name is Geff Sawtelle and I will be your humble NASA Midwest TT Director. I agree with everything above. Sign up for 3...which typically runs with HPDE4. Get signed off in 3 and move to 4 on Saturday and we will welcome you with open arms to TT on Sunday. Run clean on Sunday and you can get your permanent TT license. It will be helpful if you go to the TT website and download the TT license application...bring that and your prior driving resume to Brainerd and you will find it all to be a pretty seamless transition. We have run a number of folks through 3-4 to TT in one weekend this year. Feel free to call me at 920-765-0215 or email at gsawtelle@centurytel.net with any questions. On to Putnam this weekend!!!!!!!

Enjoy the day!

Geff
Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GAS
Hi Lawdogg...My name is Geff Sawtelle and I will be your humble NASA Midwest TT Director. I agree with everything above. Sign up for 3...which typically runs with HPDE4. Get signed off in 3 and move to 4 on Saturday and we will welcome you with open arms to TT on Sunday. Run clean on Sunday and you can get your permanent TT license. It will be helpful if you go to the TT website and download the TT license application...bring that and your prior driving resume to Brainerd and you will find it all to be a pretty seamless transition. We have run a number of folks through 3-4 to TT in one weekend this year. Feel free to call me at 920-765-0215 or email at gsawtelle@centurytel.net with any questions. On to Putnam this weekend!!!!!!!

Enjoy the day!

Geff
This is guy to talk to about TT.

Geff keep that baby clean at Putnam so you can have some fun next week at BIR!!!

Randy
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
This is guy to talk to about TT.

Geff keep that baby clean at Putnam so you can have some fun next week at BIR!!!

Randy
No worries Randy I'll keep an eye on him for you

Get notified of new replies

To NASA TT question

Quick Reply: NASA TT question