Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch?

My stock clutch started giving me issues on the back straight at Monticello last week. After some 6k+ shifts way in the triple digits, the pedal would stick to the floor. Right at a pretty dangerous spot too. Anyway, I was curious what clutch is popular for the RR crowd? My car is still a DD so keep that in mind. Opinions and experiences please.

C6 H/C/4.10s 485/430
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably not the clutch. Try flushing the fluid completely until it is clean. Drive it and then flush again. Witht he stock master cylinder you need to flush it on a regular basis if tracking the car.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazman
Probably not the clutch. Try flushing the fluid completely until it is clean. Drive it and then flush again. Witht he stock master cylinder you need to flush it on a regular basis if tracking the car.
....but I got tired of constantly flushing the fluid and went with an RPS twin with zero issues. I still flush the clutch fluid when I change the oil.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Hazman
Racer

Another option is to change the master cylinder. I went to a Tick adjustable. Much smoother action, clutch is always fully disengaged when shifting and since the helper spring is removed from the clutch pedal assembly there is no chance of the limp pedal dysfuction at a critical moment.:o

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...corvettes.html

Last edited by Hazman; 05-12-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hazman
Another option is to change the master cylinder. I went to a Tick adjustable. Much smoother action, clutch is always fully disengaged when shifting and since the helper spring is removed from the clutch pedal assembly there is no chance of the limp pedal dysfuction at a critical moment.:o

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...corvettes.html
Thanks guys. I flush the fluid regularly but I guess it got really heated by the afternoon session. If I shifted just at 6k instead of 6500-7k the problem didn't occur.

As for the adjustable master cylinder, is it available for the C6 yet? I don't see it on their website. Also, how involved of an install is this? Would I be able to do it in my garage without ripping half of the drivetrain apart?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=k0bun;1574047238]Thanks guys. I flush the fluid regularly but I guess it got really heated by the afternoon session. If I shifted just at 6k instead of 6500-7k the problem didn't occur.

A fluid flusher & still has issues..... I thought that was the fix all. The only thing that could go wrong with the clutch of a C5/C6. Sorry touchy subject with me. Lots of contibuting factors in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

i do the reservoir flush every day at the track. clean reservoir every day is a smart easy insurance polocy. Since I am brake fluid flushin anyhow its no big deal.

If you have a car that you used to NO flush in you might have what I call the "black snow flakes" in the slave. And those bastards can be tough to mess with. Sometimes its just the spring that sticks if its too hot. Try not to reve limiter the car either :-P
Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Sherminator
Racer

Changing the fluid in the reservoir vs actually flushing it through the slave cylinder is a totally different method. You don't just change the fluid in the brake system master cylinder when you're flushing the brake system right? Same goes for the clutch system. It's really tough to bleed the clutch system properly without a remote bleeder installed that allows you to do it in the pits or where ever from right in the engine bay. We always install a remote bleeder in all the clutch jobs done in house weather C5 or C6.

Last edited by Sherminator; 05-12-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k0bun
Thanks guys. I flush the fluid regularly but I guess it got really heated by the afternoon session. If I shifted just at 6k instead of 6500-7k the problem didn't occur.

As for the adjustable master cylinder, is it available for the C6 yet? I don't see it on their website. Also, how involved of an install is this? Would I be able to do it in my garage without ripping half of the drivetrain apart?

Thanks
Our C5 kit has been solving problems described in this thread for years - our C6 kit will do the same when it is released in a short period.

It'll be an easy garage install - no need to rip anything apart!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch?