Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R-D Crossbar C5 Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default R-D Crossbar C5 Installation

Just picked up a used R-D crossbar. It didn't come with instructions, but the install seems straightforward. The only question I have is for the anchor strap things.. do they mount underneath the seat rack? It has a curved shape and they're boxy, so I can't get them on. Not sure if I'm doing it right.

Any tips?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Ok nevermind.. I'm assuming since they only fit underneath, that has to be the way they're installed.

Sorry for my brain fart :]
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just now seeing your post...glad you got it sorted. If any further questions come up, feel free to shoot me an email at fhturner@earthlink.net. I've had these things in and out of several C5s.

Fred
Old 05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Appreciate the info Fred. I got it installed and the only issue I have now is the passenger side stock seatbelt doesn't rotate correctly. I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet.. this weekend I'll pull it off and see what I did wrong.

The drivers side stock belt works fine (rotates and pivots and all that correctly). If anything, I can just pull the bar out and only install it when I go to the track.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Code Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by dangerz
Appreciate the info Fred. I got it installed and the only issue I have now is the passenger side stock seatbelt doesn't rotate correctly. I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet.. this weekend I'll pull it off and see what I did wrong.

The drivers side stock belt works fine (rotates and pivots and all that correctly). If anything, I can just pull the bar out and only install it when I go to the track.

You shouldn't have to have the "work around" and install just for the track. they should work for both track/street.

BTW: I heard that my old RD bars were sold recently...did you get them from someone in MO?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Code Z
You shouldn't have to have the "work around" and install just for the track. they should work for both track/street.

BTW: I heard that my old RD bars were sold recently...did you get them from someone in MO?
Yaa I looked a bit more at it last night and I'm still not sure why the passenger seat belt doesn't rotate around. I might try loosening up all the bolts and seeing if the attachment point goes in further or something. The bolt is tightened all the way though so I'm not sure how much further it can go in.

I don't remember where this dude was shipping his crossbar from. I got it from member 'zee oh sex'.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dangerz
Yaa I looked a bit more at it last night and I'm still not sure why the passenger seat belt doesn't rotate around. I might try loosening up all the bolts and seeing if the attachment point goes in further or something. The bolt is tightened all the way though so I'm not sure how much further it can go in.
You gotta get the outer "nut" (not really a conventional nut/bolt setup, but...) and the metal of the belt receiver aligned just right. The flange on that nut should slip down *through* the hole in the receiver, not lock it down. As I recall, this flange should bottom out on one of the substitute washers included in the kit. The belt receiver will then be able to pivot around the flange.

FT
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

My kit didn't come with any washers.. maybe that's what my problem is.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the instructions at home in a PDF. PM me your email and when I get home I'll send it to you. Nothing should bind and it can be kept in the car all the time. Those down bars, flat strips, can be a pain. You may need to bend them a bit. I took a grinder and ground off the powder coating so it fits under the seat rail better.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

vms, thank you for sending me the pdf. It looks like I'm doing everything right but they still make contact. I took a picture of the passenger side to show you guys what I mean:

Name:  wWIMB.png
Views: 9
Size:  578.1 KB
Name:  tWWWm.png
Views: 3
Size:  467.4 KB

No matter what I try, it makes contact. I tried flipping it and the same thing happens. Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Bump.. anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Hmmm...I thought we were talking about the receiver, but I see we're talking about the shoulder belt mount point now. I looked at mine getting in the car today, and there should be room for the belt to pivot. Can you check the bolt length on each side? Is it possible the bolt is shorter on the side in question? You might try picking up a new bolt and see if it is longer.

Another possibility I can think of is if the bar itself is shifted away from the side in question, but I would think tightening that bolt would center it up. You might try undoing the vertical R-D "straps" that go under the seats and seeing if you can at least tighten both roll hoop bolts w/o binding up one side.

Last edited by fhturner; 05-20-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added thoughts about bar shifting
Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Ya I actually attached the shoulder belt mount on it's own without the crossbar and it still does it. I'll check the bolt length tonight and see if maybe it's shorter or something.

On the drivers side, the seatbelt bolt goes in all the way and the belt still has space to rotate. I wonder if maybe my passenger side R-D mount point was rewelded or something?

I think I'll email R-D and see what they think.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm trying to put one of these in - one of the straps (that goes under the seat) seems to be about 1/2" too long (i.e. the upper hole in the strap is about 1/2" higher than the bolt). I've done all kinds of pushing and shoving, but no dice.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I'm trying to put one of these in - one of the straps (that goes under the seat) seems to be about 1/2" too long (i.e. the upper hole in the strap is about 1/2" higher than the bolt). I've done all kinds of pushing and shoving, but no dice.

Any suggestions?
Not sure exactly how you're doing it, but make sure you don't tighten either end down before getting them both "attached". IOW, don't tighten the upper end that attaches to the bar before you get the lower hole over the seat stud.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Right - got that part - the straps are located under the seat brackets on either side.
Straps are the last thing in the rear in the sandwich - from front to back: crossbar, pillar mounts, then straps. The strap I am using on the driver's side fits fine, tight, but good. The strap on the pass. side seems incorrectly made. I bought this used and it was installed previously, so I assume it isn't a mfg defect.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I emailed R-D last week, but I'm still waiting on a response from them. Hopefully they can give me some insight.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roy,

I think I know what the problem is. I sent you instructions for installing MY R-D harness bar. I know those work for mine and it's for sale. Just send me $200 and I'll send you one that will install and work.

Sorry couldn't help myself...

Graham
Old 05-25-2010, 05:34 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Haha Graham.. I might just end up doing that. Dammit.

How about you just sell me your passenger side seatbelt mount :]

Last edited by dangerz; 05-25-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To R-D Crossbar C5 Installation

Quick Reply: R-D Crossbar C5 Installation