Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's run with trackmasters, and Pheonix,CMR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who's run with trackmasters, and Pheonix,CMR?

Ive run with PDA, SCDA, TT4cars, and Chin...how are these other groups? do they allow Vettes? Have to join a club?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
LS3x416
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark b
Ive run with PDA, SCDA, TT4cars, and Chin...how are these other groups? do they allow Vettes? Have to join a club?

Thanks
I have run with PDA in the past. Not impressed with their planning skills.

SCDA is one of the best out there.

TT4CARS gives you plenty of track time.

Trackmasters I didnt enjoy as much as the rest. They think they are the "only " organization in town. As I have learned , this is far from the truth.

Chin I hear is pretty good. I have yet to have the chance to run with them.

Phoenix CMR is a FORD based group, but they do allow anyone to participate. They are running an event at WGI this month. A one day event with 6 sessions per run group. They got screwed out of their 2nd day due to Nascar/Goodyear doing a Tire Testing event.

Good luck on your quest.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS3x416
I have run with PDA in the past. Not impressed with their planning skills.

SCDA is one of the best out there.

TT4CARS gives you plenty of track time.

Trackmasters I didnt enjoy as much as the rest. They think they are the "only " organization in town. As I have learned , this is far from the truth.

Chin I hear is pretty good. I have yet to have the chance to run with them.

Phoenix CMR is a FORD based group, but they do allow anyone to participate. They are running an event at WGI this month. A one day event with 6 sessions per run group. They got screwed out of their 2nd day due to Nascar/Goodyear doing a Tire Testing event.

Good luck on your quest.
thanks, have you run with Pheonix? Chin is good but you have to pay a 50$ a year membership to run with them....
Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM
LS3x416
Advanced

thanks, have you run with Pheonix? Chin is good but you have to pay a 50$ a year membership to run with them....
I have run one event with Phoenix. I will be running both of their events this season. CHIN is worth it if your going to run the tracks they use. I have yet to be able to partake in their events.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I did an event a Watkins last summer with Phoenix CMR (actually did only one session because my car broke). This was my first time with them and thus the sent an instructor out with me for a check ride before allowing me to go solo (which was just fine by me). There was a wide variety of cars there, even a couple Ford GTs and some lady driving a lightning pickup. They were well organized. It was a big group and had a very close nit, friendly feel to it. I had the impression that many of the folks there make an annual event out of it. I have two close friends who have done the same event for the last three years and really like it. I plan to be back up there for this year's event August 16-17. There were many other members of this forum there also.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by argonaut
I did an event a Watkins last summer with Phoenix CMR (actually did only one session because my car broke). This was my first time with them and thus the sent an instructor out with me for a check ride before allowing me to go solo (which was just fine by me). There was a wide variety of cars there, even a couple Ford GTs and some lady driving a lightning pickup. They were well organized. It was a big group and had a very close nit, friendly feel to it. I had the impression that many of the folks there make an annual event out of it. I have two close friends who have done the same event for the last three years and really like it. I plan to be back up there for this year's event August 16-17. There were many other members of this forum there also.

I was at the same event and found Phoenix to be well organized, friendly and a great mix of cars running. Traveled down from Canada with 3 other Corvettes and a Porsche. We are planning on the August event as well.

We have also run with PDA a few times and found the same thing.

I will add for both organizations, that they have a focus on safety and ensure the cars, drivers and the track are as safe as can be.

lauri
Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Trackmasters & Phoenix CMR (formerly known the Rochester Shelby Club) are slightly different.

Trackmasters has less emphasis on "schooling", and more "open track", for those with greater experience. Trackmasters runs only 1 school group each day (4x 30min), leaving the rest of the day (~5 hours) for "open track" drivers. They were originally "open track only", but added "school" groups (one date might have only "novice", another only "advanced") in the mid 90's.

Phoenix (aka "Joe Q's thing") is more a traditional "novice / intermediate / advanced" schedule each day. For "big kids" (open track folks), this means less track time, but for those on the learning curve, there is more access to the "learning" part.

Both are agnostic as far as cars/brands/etc.

Trackmasters instructors tend to have a deeper level of experience, both on-track and instructing, than those at Phoenix. Not a criticism...just an oberservation. Probably 25-30% of the Trackmasters instructors have been "Chief Instructor" for some other HPDE or race sanctioning organization.

DK
(instructor with Trackmasters since...well...since they started doing schools 15-20 yrs ago, and instructor with Phoenix / Roc Shelby for nearly the same length of time)
Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

One thing about Phoenix is their schedule. Group 1(novice) gets 25 minute run groups 4 times/day, while group 2/3 get 40 minute run groups 4 times/day. Instructors run w group 3.
Bill
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

sounds cool I want to run with pheonixcmr on 5/31 at the glen, hopefully open track how much are their events?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM
LS3x416
Advanced

sounds cool I want to run with pheonixcmr on 5/31 at the glen, hopefully open track how much are their events?
You have to check with Joe. The event is soon and I believe there is a late fee for registering at this point.
Keep your eye out for me in Car #46.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
One thing about Phoenix is their schedule. Group 1(novice) gets 25 minute run groups 4 times/day, while group 2/3 get 40 minute run groups 4 times/day. Instructors run w group 3.
Bill
And those 40 minutes are great. Boy, do you feel it though. Usually by the last session each day (2 day event), I come in after about 20 minutes..just wiped.

lauri
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trackmasters was cool! The open passing in corners might freak out someone with anything but very advanced experience though
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Trackmasters was cool! The open passing in corners might freak out someone with anything but very advanced experience though
Ran with PCA last week at NJMP and they allowed passing anywhere for instructors (I assume advance too) but you needed a point (which I agree with).

SCDA also allows for open passing but also states a point is needed.

Seems that the advance groups should have some more freedoms but at the same time since there is no trophy enforcing points should keep the incidents down.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by WYCKD 1
And those 40 minutes are great. Boy, do you feel it though. Usually by the last session each day (2 day event), I come in after about 20 minutes..just wiped.

lauri
I enjoyed running with Phoenix CMR last year and will be there May 31st for the Marathon day

My only suggestion to Joe was to change from 4x40 min sessions to 5x30 min sessions. some of us have done long session in the past, but I find that many people have not and fatigue starts to set in which could lead to more on track incidents. That being said Joe runs a tight ship and safety is never compromised.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 05-13-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

sounds good, but I dont think my car will do that long in one stint on the track.. the tranny overheats. 20 to 25 min at a time is fine for me. will be getting the drm diff cooler soon because I think my diff is heating the tranny..
Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

... but I dont think my car will do that long in one stint on the track.. the tranny overheats. 20 to 25 min at a time is fine for me. will be getting the drm diff cooler soon because I think my diff is heating the tranny..
Sounds like a good plan. Last year I did not use a Diff or Tranny cooler. I burned up my Diff completely (finally gave out at WGI) and I cooked my tranny so bad that it hardened the gears and caused bad gear whine in 1-3. This year...the DRM coolers are installed. I hope for far better longevity.

Originally Posted by 95jersey
TrackDaze also allows passing anywhere on the track with a point by for advanced group. Thus far I've really enjoyed it. I think it improves the experience for both fast and slow cars (like Vette vs Miata). Less trains for the fast cars and less guys on your a$$ for the slow cars.

Last edited by argonaut; 05-13-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:21 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Fishing is great around there...if you like to fish. Hire a fishing guide and get it done! We fish lake lloyd too when we are waiting our turn to go on track. There are some pretty big bass in there.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:54 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Sadly. Joe Q passed away several years ago and Phoenix CMR never came back on the other side of the pandemic shutdown.
Still the Glen is and always will be my favorite racetrack.

Last year on a road trip out to California, I spent a day on track at Laguna Seca. A fun track and the corkscrew is interesting but just can't compare to the climbing esses at the Glen.
Or the rollercoaster and hogpen at VIR either, for that matter.

Last edited by blueray16; 10-03-2023 at 08:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's run with trackmasters, and Pheonix,CMR?

Quick Reply: Who's run with trackmasters, and Pheonix,CMR?