Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cambered Tires ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cambered Tires ??

Anybody have more info on the development and availability of cambered tires, perhaps in Z06 sizes?

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...res/index.html
Old 05-09-2010, 08:40 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

that is interesting he got a patent in 1999, when BFG sold cambered racing tires in the early 90's. When I started racing/autocrossing in the very early 90's, BFG R tires were the tire of choice, partially because of the built in camber. You could achieve near track level grip with street alignments.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The text of the article talks about all the benefits from the cambered design, but almost ignores the gains one should expect from the softer tread compounds on the Cambered tires.

Look at the table at the top of page 3. Even though the cambered tire in the second row has a softer tread compound (140 treadwear), its performance is not as good as the stock tire (160 treadwear). The R-compound tire did perform much better than the stock tire, but it probably should have performed even better. The data in the table contradicts the conclusion in the text.

Did they mount the cambered tires correctly? I would think you should put the taller side to the inside, but their picture shows the taller side to the outside.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

if I skimmed it correctly, they did it to compensate for suspension "droop". I see a lot of old Mercedes etc where the rear end droops, and the cars have excessive negative camber. Their design is NOT what we would use it for, so they likely did mount them backward compared to what we would do.

While like you, I think mounting them for track use would be beneficial.....I think his use (ie to compensate for suspension problems) is a mistake, and you should correct worn out bushings etc!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:47 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
that is interesting he got a patent in 1999, when BFG sold cambered racing tires in the early 90's. When I started racing/autocrossing in the very early 90's, BFG R tires were the tire of choice, partially because of the built in camber. You could achieve near track level grip with street alignments.
BFG engineered asymmetrical sidewalls that made the tire perform as though it had camber in it, even though the sidewalls were the same size - there was actually no built in camber on the BFG R1 226 and 230.

These guys have done something completely different.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/414873/ShowThread.aspx
Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
BFG engineered asymmetrical sidewalls that made the tire perform as though it had camber in it, even though the sidewalls were the same size - there was actually no built in camber on the BFG R1 226 and 230.

These guys have done something completely different.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/414873/ShowThread.aspx

Hey, looking at your signature I think I saw a race car a couple of weeks back that looked just like yours. I thought maybe it was then same car, but on second look I now remember the other one was shorter than yours. :o
Old 05-10-2010, 07:48 PM
66IISS
Racer

Alright, so, we had one guy at our event this past weekend that was actually running these tires. For reference it was a Milwaukee Region SCCA Auto-x

I believe it's the owner of the car that Automobile "tested" - anyone else notice that the camber tire car had additional camber over the base car? ?

Anyways, I'll report back later with the results, gotta run now!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:03 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Olitho
Hey, looking at your signature I think I saw a race car a couple of weeks back that looked just like yours. I thought maybe it was then same car, but on second look I now remember the other one was shorter than yours. :o
I think we can fit an even dozen in the trailer if we make that mod to all of them.

You know I was just pulling images from the last Cal Club dbl natl... Do you want my body guys number? You are the Burgoon of the Vette world. lol I really wanted to run this great image of Steve, leading a freight train of T1 vettes, but I could not spend a day photo shopping out the wrecked yellow car that was behind him.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 05-10-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 66IISS
I believe it's the owner of the car that Automobile "tested" - anyone else notice that the camber tire car had additional camber over the base car? ?
Yeah.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by RX7 KLR
I think we can fit an even dozen in the trailer if we make that mod to all of them.

You know I was just pulling images from the last Cal Club dbl natl... Do you want my body guys number? You are the Burgoon of the Vette world. lol I really wanted to run this great image of Steve, leading a freight train of T1 vettes, but I could not spend a day photo shopping out the wrecked yellow car that was behind him.
Yeah, I am really getting a reputation for a beat-up car. It has been hit a couple of times. I did the "hitting" another time. I have had stuff ripped off the car getting forced off for lack of racing room, you name it....

If I go to the Runoffs this year I think I will do a make-over on the car just in time for all those guys at Road America to tear her up again!

Oli
Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM
bartekb93
Intermediate

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-93677134.html

Get notified of new replies

To Cambered Tires ??

Quick Reply: Cambered Tires ??