Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 PM
juyanith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Simple question

I'm currently shopping around for a C6 (most likely '06 or '07) and I'd like to take it out for autocross. I'm a complete noob for driving, only having one class to my name, so I know the car is the least of my worries. However, I'm curious about classifications of various (stock) vette trims. Z51 is high on my list, but I'd consider F55 or even the base if I can find the right deal.

Does that affect the car class? Assuming it doesn't would that mean you could add the Z51 suspension parts (or sways for the F55) without leaving the stock class? My goal is pretty simple; stay in the stock class. And I don't want anything I buy to violate that rule only find out after the fact.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juyanith
I'm currently shopping around for a C6 (most likely '06 or '07) and I'd like to take it out for autocross. I'm a complete noob for driving, only having one class to my name, so I know the car is the least of my worries. However, I'm curious about classifications of various (stock) vette trims. Z51 is high on my list, but I'd consider F55 or even the base if I can find the right deal.

Does that affect the car class? Assuming it doesn't would that mean you could add the Z51 suspension parts (or sways for the F55) without leaving the stock class? My goal is pretty simple; stay in the stock class. And I don't want anything I buy to violate that rule only find out after the fact.
If you truly want to Autocross on a regular basis. Do NOT get anything but the Z51. You can't just use various Z51 parts on a non Z51 and stay in stock. You would have to do a COMPLETE conversion including the transmission. Otherwise you will be bumped to a higher class.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:39 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know about SCCA, but in NCCC all of those cars are in the same class 1K on dot r-compound or 1SK if on street tires. You are not allowed to change the suspension parts between them though, unless you move up to 2K class. Group 1S is for stock cars on street tires, while group 1 is for stock cars (a few mods allowed) on dot race tires. Group 2 you are allowed some suspension mods along with headers and exhaust. Group 3 you can start touching the motor.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:07 AM
gintama
Instructor

It depends on what organization you want to run with. Decide on that first. In SCCA, you will be SS. The previous post is correct. If you want to run a Z51 package, you need to change everything the way a Z51 is delivered. (Shocks, transmission, brakes, etc) It would be cheaper to just find a Z51. It would have to be one hell of a sweet deal to offset the price of these changes.

The other thing to consider is that it seems the C5-Z06 is more competitive in this class. It is lighter and wheels would be cheaper since they are smaller in diameter, yet wide enough to do the job.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:03 PM
juyanith
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I read up on the SCCA site and I could see what modifications were allowed in a class, but I didn't know if cars started in a different class even when "stock". For instance, it seems unfair to have a Z51 vette and a carolla in the same class.

Like I said though, I doubt it would matter much in my case as I'm not that good a driver. However that's exactly the reason I don't want to accidentally get myself into a more competitive modified class just because I did something small.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:10 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juyanith

Like I said though, I doubt it would matter much in my case as I'm not that good a driver. However that's exactly the reason I don't want to accidentally get myself into a more competitive modified class just because I did something small.
What you are saying actually is backwards from reality...

Believe it or not, Stock classes typically are the most competitive. Usually the higher classes have less competition.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
What you are saying actually is backwards from reality...

Believe it or not, Stock classes typically are the most competitive. Usually the higher classes have less competition.

Once you start to Mod, each class has more and more super modders. By the time you hit ASP in SCCA the sky is almost the limit. I run ASP and typically its all super tweaked out cars. If you run just ONE mod pushing you to ASP you now need to dump in $10,000 to match other peoples mods who maxed out that class. Damn Lotus Elise! hence so many people like to stay pretty close to Stock so its more about the skill and less about who has the bigger check book.

Get notified of new replies

To Simple question

Quick Reply: Simple question