Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recomended tire pressure?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Recomended tire pressure?

Hey guys! I'm looking for some recomendations on tire pressure for my upcoming HPDE.
I'm running:
255/40-17 front (Kumho All-season *not run-flats)
275/40-18 rear (Michellin All-season *not run-flats)
On a 2001 C5 Coupe.

Also, at my last HPDE I was seeing oil temps in the 275-285 range. Is this too hot? How hot IS too hot for Mobile1 5W-30?

Thanks,
Travis
P.S. I ordered myself some Carbotech XP10's for up-front, so I'm excited to see how much those babys help out!

Last edited by sydneyACE; 05-04-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Sherminator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyACE
Hey guys! I'm looking for some recomendations on tire pressure for my upcoming HPDE.
I'm running:
255/40-17 front (Kumho All-season *not run-flats)
275/40-18 rear (Michellin All-season *not run-flats)
On a 2001 C5 Coupe.

Also, at my last HPDE I was seeing oil temps in the 275-285 range. Is this too hot? How hot IS too hot for Mobile1 5W-30?

Thanks,
Travis
P.S. I ordered myself some Carbotech XP10's for up-front, so I'm excited to see how much those babys help out!
Stick with pressures in the mid-high 30's. See how far the tire is rolling over after a few sessions.
Oil temps are on the high side of that oil's recommended operating levels. Try a thicker synthetic like a 5w-40 or 5w-50. You might want to think of an engine oil cooler if you plan on more track time.
How hot are the coolant temps?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
sydneyACE
Racer

Yeah, I was thinking I would just sorta play it by ear as far as TP.

I don't remember exactly what the coolant was running, I think it was about 10-20 degrees cooler than the oil (once it started getting hot). The weather will definately be cooler this event than it was at my last one, so I doubt I will see the temps that high.

I was just kinda curious about what the recomended operating temp is for Mobil1 5W-30.

I'm gonna be moving south here this summer so I will probably switch it up to a thicker oil. Here in MT though, I gotta have the thin stuff for the cold morning commutes.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Sherminator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyACE
Yeah, I was thinking I would just sorta play it by ear as far as TP.

I don't remember exactly what the coolant was running, I think it was about 10-20 degrees cooler than the oil (once it started getting hot). The weather will definately be cooler this event than it was at my last one, so I doubt I will see the temps that high.

I was just kinda curious about what the recomended operating temp is for Mobil1 5W-30.

I'm gonna be moving south here this summer so I will probably switch it up to a thicker oil. Here in MT though, I gotta have the thin stuff for the cold morning commutes.
You should try the Mobil 0w-40 then, I use it and it works great and easy to find.
If your coolant temps are 220+ then you either need to clean out the a/c and radiator fins really good, or upgrade to a bigger rad. I clean out lots of customer cars at the shop as road trips tend to pack them full of road sand and bugs, especially the a/c condenser. Very easy to do once the rad fans and upper rad support are out of the way. My car has a Dewitts rad, 160 t-stat and LS7 oil cooler and my coolant temp is never above 190 and oil never above 230 when I'm hard on it at the road course up here.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 AM
sydneyACE
Racer

Originally Posted by Sherminator
You should try the Mobil 0w-40 then, I use it and it works great and easy to find.
If your coolant temps are 220+ then you either need to clean out the a/c and radiator fins really good, or upgrade to a bigger rad. I clean out lots of customer cars at the shop as road trips tend to pack them full of road sand and bugs, especially the a/c condenser. Very easy to do once the rad fans and upper rad support are out of the way. My car has a Dewitts rad, 160 t-stat and LS7 oil cooler and my coolant temp is never above 190 and oil never above 230 when I'm hard on it at the road course up here.
I deff. want to get a Dewitts set-up. I saw one on here going for $150! I wish I had a few extra bucks, I'd pick it up. Unfortunately I just spent my last few $ on brake pads. Where does that LS7 oil cooler mount, have any pics?

I'll have to blow out my rad from the back and see how much **** comes out of there. I haven't cleaned it out since I bought the car. Thanks for reminding me!

I'm gonna be moving to Phoenix this summer so, I'll probably start running 0w-40 or 0w-50 in it.

Get notified of new replies

To Recomended tire pressure?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recomended tire pressure?