Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y'know, this stuff is fun!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Default Y'know, this stuff is fun!

In all of the competitive nature of even non-competitive DEs, once we've done this enough it's easy to lose the sheer fun of taking our cars on track.

This past weekend the Brazos River Corvette Club had their annual focus day at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. The day is mainly organized at giving newbies a taste of track experience; 3 class sessions, 2 lead/follow sessions, and 3 open track sessions. The open track sessions were broken into 2 groups: one slower for the beginners and one for the experienced drivers. Everyone was well behaved, with clean passing and no drag racing to the corners (at least that I saw). A friend of mine let me borrow his transponder so I was able to get some real times: mostly 1:28s with a best of 1:27.5. I'm sure I left probably a full second on the table, but there are corners I'd just as soon have a bit of margin on to keep the at bay.

I'd guess out of the 25 cars on track almost half had never been on a track before. Not everyone was comfortable with their cars after the lead/follow sessions, but the folks that did go on the track for the first time were grinning so much they almost split their lips.

63Corvette and myself (and most likely others) were there representing CF and had a blast! A friend of mine let me borrow his transponder so I was able to get some real times: mostly 1:28s with a best of 1:27.5. I'm sure I left probably a full second on the table, but there are corners I'd just as soon have a bit of margin on to keep the at bay.

Y'all have a good one,
Mike

Quick Reply: Y'know, this stuff is fun!