Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a wing for my '99 vert vette for looks/hpde

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:02 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Looking for a wing for my '99 vert vette for looks/hpde

Considering either of these carbon fiber wings. I do HPDE's and I want to build a 'racer' or 'ricer' look to my vette. I've already got a cf hood with some vent holes, lemans style headlights, and keeping with the boy-racer look I want to go with a cf wing like:

or this:

Constructive input welcomed. I don't really care if you like what I'm doing with my corvette or not... I would like to hear what you think about the functionality of either of these wings, or if you have another suggestions, fire away.

one of these sits up about 8.5" and the other (mounted on the yellow car) is 11" high. I wonder about the interferrence with the rear view, and what effect the mounting height has on function.

thanks for input.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 05-03-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wings should be bolted to the frame of the car, not the trunk or rear facia.

Do you have a hard top to put on as well?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

I have a roll bar. **** a "top" for my vert. I know aerodynamics are probably **** on a topless vert, but a wing would have to help, wouldn't it?

So you think a deck wing is completely unacceptable?

I was actually considering hard mounting the rear deck and using it for the wing mount. The wing won't be generating more than a couple hundred pounds of force at the most, will it?

Last edited by 2000BSME; 05-03-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Do you have a hard top to put on as well?
found this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ng-add-on.html

I guess I need to make a bunch of brackets and stuff and come out of the body work in the rear to have a 'proper' wing mount? Does anyone know where and what is available?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

For wings to work properly, you also need a 4" front splitter, extractor hood and side skirts. Then lots of testing.

Good Luck
Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I know of several guys running the APR wing
http://www.aprperformance.com/index....d=34&Itemid=44

Yeah it's mounted to the deck lid but from the people using it they are happy with it.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I know of several guys running the APR wing
http://www.aprperformance.com/index....d=34&Itemid=44

Yeah it's mounted to the deck lid but from the people using it they are happy with it.
thanks. I really like the look those types of wings give.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They will block the rear veiw, the higher the better it will work, and I would not bother on a vert. unless it is for looks. I would put a spoiler on if any thing. JMHO
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely!

Originally Posted by John Shiels
...the higher the better it will work...
This isn't necessarily true. At some point you are creating too much of a Cd for a given level of downforce.

Like Tom mentioned, it takes a long time to set up aero for the best results.

2000BSME, do you plan any additional safety mods?

Mike
Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Absolutely!

This isn't necessarily true. At some point you are creating too much of a Cd for a given level of downforce.

Like Tom mentioned, it takes a long time to set up aero for the best results.

Mike
why would it create more drag in cleaner air? You can also adjust it for less drag if it is working better in cleaner air.

If you take decent proven parts it does not take all that long to set up as none of us or most have no access to wind tunnels and will never get to where a NASCAR tweaks to. My car worked great on day one a huge difference. I have tweaked a few things for better results after the first time out and continue to.

Wings do not need 4" splitters, extractor hoods, or side skirts to work. They all help in down-force but are not required. Many times 4" splitters are not even allowed in many race series they may even have to be flush with the nose of the car.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-04-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

If you take decent proven parts it does not take all that long to set up as none of us or most have no access to wind tunnels and will never get to where a NASCAR tweaks to. My car worked great on day one a huge difference.
John,

I completely agree there will be a noticeable difference immediately. There are tweaks you can perform to attain higher straight-a-way speeds without losing time in the twisties. A higher wing can prevent this (and possibly create more lift). I was very fortunate to have had Pratt and Miller help me with aero data and have many pro drivers dial it in afterwards.

As far as most people having no access to a wind tunnel, what I suggest is the following:

Find a nice high speed sweeping turn (with a lot of run-off ) and start dialing in more wing rake. As the car starts to push -- dial it back.

Mike
Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont restrict this area. They can be mounted to the truck if the trunk is supported properly.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
Dont restrict this area. They can be mounted to the truck if the trunk is supported properly.
After looking it over I agree completely. I'm going to pin the ends of the decklid down with hood pins, and take away all the pliance associated with the weather stripping and bolt a cf wing to it. It will be fine, I believe.

John,

I completely agree there will be a noticeable difference immediately. There are tweaks you can perform to attain higher straight-a-way speeds without losing time in the twisties. A higher wing can prevent this (and possibly create more lift). I was very fortunate to have had Pratt and Miller help me with aero data and have many pro drivers dial it in afterwards.

As far as most people having no access to a wind tunnel, what I suggest is the following:

Find a nice high speed sweeping turn (with a lot of run-off ) and start dialing in more wing rake. As the car starts to push -- dial it back.
Mike
thanks, no doubt i'll mess around a little with it, but initially I plan on using 0* AOA.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:52 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Mike
I plan on putting in a few racing seats to better hold me, and to place me a tad lower in the car in case of a rollover, maybe my bar and my windshield frame will have a better chance of saving my spine from compression. With a vert, i'm required already to run a rollbar, arm restraints, 6 pt. harness and fire ext. I think I'm pretty well covered, except for seats to lower my position. Hans device is being considered too.

But I don't want to talk about safety in this thread.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 05-04-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

They will block the rear veiw, the higher the better it will work, and I would not bother on a vert. unless it is for looks. I would put a spoiler on if any thing. JMHO
I am aware of this, but am unsure as to what the height will do, of course I'm going to have a taller wing if it will help with visability. Thanks for the heads up. I plan on test fitting some 2x4's and cardboard to figure out what heights I can live with.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
But I don't want to talk about safety in this thread.
I only asked because depending on your planned upgrades, a one piece roof and B pillar could be in some future grand scheme for track days.

I hear you though, keep it to wing discussion only!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
After looking it over I agree completely. I'm going to pin the ends of the decklid down with hood pins, and take away all the pliance associated with the weather stripping and bolt a cf wing to it. It will be fine, I believe.
Just make sure you have proper support for your application. This will depend on how much downforce you dial in and where the wing attachement mounts are located. If you run low downforce levels of approx 200 lbs and the mounts are located toward the edge of the lid, your probably fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a wing for my '99 vert vette for looks/hpde

Old 05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

John,

Mike
You mean like NASCAR turn 1 at Pocono? You also want to find the stall angle of your wing which you can do with out a wind tunnel.

I bumped mine up level with the roof may be a 2.5" rise from where it was. Hope to have time to put it together soon before I hit a nursing home instead of a wall!

Trunk lid mounting will flex and change AOA at speed which is critical.

Unlike an engine mods AERO work never blows up and it also helps on deceleration!

I find it very rewarding. I played the game years ago on bikes in 1975 by having a street bike with a full race fairing long, long before any sport bikes were thought of. It was a 15 mph gain and back in 1975 a bike running 175 MPH was real fast.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-04-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
vette113
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am selling a C5R Wing I had on my C5 coup. Send me an email and I will send you a photo if you are interested. bhalford@pathtechltd.com
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I only asked because depending on your planned upgrades, a one piece roof and B pillar could be in some future grand scheme for track days.

I hear you though, keep it to wing discussion only!
plus a 1" rear spoiler may provide more down force then a wing

Quick Reply: Looking for a wing for my '99 vert vette for looks/hpde