Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans, helmet intercoms, camera's...what to get..oh and I drove a FR500S!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:48 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Hans, helmet intercoms, camera's...what to get..oh and I drove a FR500S!

We went to Grattan on Friday and I had a FR500S to drive for the day.

This is Ford's ready to race Mustang Challenge series car. Purpose built factory race car.

That whole solid rear axle thing is none issue, I was amazing at how capable the car was and how fun/easy to control it was.

Now being in a real race car though has changed a lot of things. I need to invest in more stuff

Since I'm in a fully caged car and have proper seats/harnesses I need to look at a HANS style device. Do I need to stick with HANS or are there other alternatives out there?

How about a decent intercom system. I took someone out for some instruction and over 20mph it was impossible to have a conversation. Something that works with full face/open face helmets. I had a tough enough time getting the new helmet on with my glasses, can't imagine how to get the helmet on with the intercom system.

Lastly a decent camera. I borrowed a Contour HD to make this video and was planning on getting a Hero cam but was told this was better quality. It's not bad but compared to the demo video's for the Hero cam even this one lasted. 2 owners of Hero Cam HD's told me to get a Contour instead.

Here is a 720p full res vid taken with the Contour:

That was a single lap with a passenger. Left a lot on the track. I short shifted, braked early and one 2 corners with the cage, seating position, and A pillar impossible to see the corner. You'll see 2 corners where I turned in way early, just could not see a thing.

I haven't been around much. Last year we didn't start running our events until later in the year but this year we're going to get back out strong and have some cool things planned.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check with Chris @ECS racing about a DefNder head N neck support. I got one from them last a few months ago, they may still have some. It's a nice unit.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you racing one of these cars now? thats GREAT!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Are you racing one of these cars now? thats GREAT!!!
No...I have discovered the joy of renting a race car.

Show up, put it on the trailer. Setup is right, car is inspected and gone over, all fluids changed, brakes, tires....go drive it, drop it off. All professionally prepped and ready to go. No fighting setup and all that, just get in and drive.

Racing one is interesting to me...the suggested 120K cost for the first year, well not yet....

They are incredible to drive. I'm not sure how they'd go up against a prepped C5/C6 but its fun to drive, its not work.

I might try an American Iron car next time out, bit more power and better suspension.

Get notified of new replies

To Hans, helmet intercoms, camera's...what to get..oh and I drove a FR500S!

Quick Reply: Hans, helmet intercoms, camera's...what to get..oh and I drove a FR500S!