Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racers opinion on C6Z06 track cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Coldmale
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default racers opinion on C6Z06 track cams

After finishing my second season, I' m preparing to upgrade my motor

Of course the cam is the heart if the engine. I have used the katch 110 Torquer in my 2007 c6z06 and am looking at going more extreem. There is really too much low torque and I'm looking for a better spread through the range.

Please - No vendors!

You guys that track your cars, what do you use and how successful is it?

regards

John
Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Torque and corner exit speed. and acceleration are the key to straight speeds.

How long are your straights ?

ps dont go reading drag race threads. Different set ups all together
Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Coldmale
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Torque and corner exit speed. and acceleration are the key to straight speeds.

How long are your straights ?

ps dont go reading drag race threads. Different set ups all together
I know that and hence the question.

The 3 critical straights are a) from a hairpin at 55km/hr exiting in 2nd and reaching 220 in 4th. So this is flat in 2nd, flat in 3rd and into 4th at 7,000
b) the next bend is 100km/hr in 3rd and accelerating uphill in 3rd and just hitting 200 before hard on the brakes
c) from a hairpin again around 60km/hr this time in 2nd and changing into 3rd to max at 170

If the track is dusty or damp, then even with A6s i get slip or wheel spin, so a shade less torque would be no problem. But that uphill section just begs for the torque from 3500

Quite simply I probably won't know till I try, but experimentation is best developed on others experiences.

John
Old 05-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never thought you could have "too much power"? If you're having traction issues, maybe it's time to spend the money on upgrading the suspension for more grip?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Coldmale
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave Deerson
I never thought you could have "too much power"? If you're having traction issues, maybe it's time to spend the money on upgrading the suspension for more grip?
dAVE

510 FTft.lbs at 4500 requires a gingerly application pf the gas pedal

The car has a full track suspension with pfadt coils, sway bars and all that. The car is virtually undrivanble on teh public roads

I no longer get wheel hop or that sort of thing so I am happy the suspension is doing its job and well

Cheers

John
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldmale
dAVE

510 FTft.lbs at 4500 requires a gingerly application pf the gas pedal

The car has a full track suspension with pfadt coils, sway bars and all that. The car is virtually undrivanble on teh public roads

I no longer get wheel hop or that sort of thing so I am happy the suspension is doing its job and well

Cheers

John
I know what you are talking about. I also have a Katech Torquer cam. On shorter technical tracks that have several 2nd gear corners I don't think my car is any faster than a similarly prepared stock motored car. Very difficult to come out of 2nd gear turns.

I wonder if using some aero on the back would help. It hasn't been a big problem for me since I go to mostly longer tracks but it did take the fun out of running shorter tracks.

I'm no expert but you can also change the cam timing a bit to add horsepower and sacrifice torque but I don't know if you could move the needle enough to make a big difference.

If you experiment with another cam please post your observations so the rest of us can learn something.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The easiest thing you could do is use a taller gear entering the corners that you have excessive wheel spin. If you have that much torque it shouldn't be a problem pulling. If you want to experiment you could retard the cam 4 degrees or more at the cam sprocket and you will move the powerband up a little.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Coldmale
Racer

Guys

With one exception (mcar00), everyone is avoiding the question. All the other alternatives have been thought about.

Is everyone shy/concerned that they dont want the competition to know what they got. Both mcar00 and I have been upfront and we both appear to have the same issues

So.?

I'm happy to take a PM.

BTW I am looking at cams in the 245/245 region as the drop in low torque appears to be no more than 20 - 30ftlbs and the gain at 6/6500 is a lot more

John
Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Actually not avoiding the question at all. You have lots of power there already.

Work on different possibilities before changing cams
Try different gears in those corners, then check your lap time differences.
as tires age, drop the pressures or new tires.

TSP has several LS7 cams

- TSP LS7R Dyno Proven Street/Strip Camshaft 248/256 .658/.658 114+3 (with 1.8 rockers) Camshaft!

This camshaft featurescustom ground lobes specifically designed for the LS7! These lobes have been proven to make big horsepower & torque thanks to their aggressive ramp rates & healthy lift.

2300-7000 RPM Power Band; This is an excellent performance camshaft with a race car idle! Custom tuning will be required for this camshaft!

TSP LS7S Dyno Proven Street/Strip Camshaft 242/250 .650"/.650" 114+3 (with 1.8 rockers) Camshaft!

This camshaft featurescustom ground lobes specifically designed for the LS7! These lobes have been proven to make big horsepower & torque thanks to their aggressive ramp rates & healthy lift.

2000-7000 RPM Power Band; This is an excellent performance camshaft with a awesome idle! Custom tuning will be required for this camshaft!

you may find that these are drag racing cams then road race cams.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=4&catid=44
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coldmale,

I am glad you posted this thread. I am sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question, but firgured I would throw in my experience and thoughts for the discussion. Have you thought about LG cams?

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1563

I had a G5X3 cam in my C5Z and absolutely LOVED it!! It did exactly what you said, make power and torque across a broad RPM spectrum, not too much down bottom or up top. The X3 and X4 make power a bit higher in the RPM band, which at the time people were telling me is the wrong choice for road racing. Lots of folks kept pushing me toward a more low-end torque focused cam and to stay away from high RPM cams. My opinion, was that if you are that LOW in the RPM range that the cam is not working, you are in the wrong gear.

I too am thinking about a CAM for my C6Z. I would agree that suspension and brakes should be done first (and in my case I have). My concern also is this thing becoming too much of a beast to handle. I don't want to ruin the current power delivery of the LS7. Right now, the power and torque really are great, but the car would be a REAL hoot with a little more ***** coming out of the turns. Not sure if this is RPM power or Torquer cam.

Based on your and mcar00 comments, I am a little concerned. Up till now, I was thinking Torquer, because everyone raves how the extra torque makes he cam so great and useful on a road course. But I run (and prefer) many technical tracks and don't want a cam that will make the car harder to drive. I think many people are drawn to the Torquer because of it's streetability and torque is more fun on the street anyday.

Can one (or both) of you describe in a bit more detail how the cam has effected power delivery. Has it made the car less fun to drive on a road course? I don't want a car that is even more difficult to handle. I want smooth steadily increasing power delivery.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Many times less hp and tq makes it easier to drive and lower lap times.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default I'm running the LPE GT-19

and I love it both on AND off the track...

If you can live with this power band you may want to consider it.

Only negative, will require a spring change, but you should be doing that anyhow if you are going to track it often.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Coldmale
Racer

This is the Torquer in action in my car. If I rev to say 6800/7000 I drop in at the next gear at around 5300. Its too late. On a road driven car that is no issue as you wouldnt rev so high. On teh track, I believe I can do better. That is where I am coming from.

To date we have 1 x GT19 and 1 x Torquer

I assume then that everyone else is using the stock cam. The drag guys just love to boast about their cams. Why are you guys so laid back on this?

regards

John

Get notified of new replies

To racers opinion on C6Z06 track cams

Quick Reply: racers opinion on C6Z06 track cams