Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3, Oil blew out the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:34 PM
G.J. Dixon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3, Oil blew out the intake?

Hi everyone,

I have a wierd circumstance that happened to me last weekend at a track day and I'm still trying to figure out what might be causing it and/or how it happened.

I was at Pocono raceway running a track day. At some point a rather large puddle of oil could be found under the front of the car around the oil cooler area. Originally I assumed that a car in front of me kicked up a rock and took out the oil cooler, but I'm working on the car now and found where the oil is coming from.

I pulled the air filter housing off, and the air filter is soaked in oil, the complete intake is soaked in oil, mass air sensor is soaked also. Check engine light is on. Looks like the PCV system may have backed up and blew a lot of oil out?

As per the owners manual I had added 1 extra quart of oil for track days and that was it.

Engine and driveline is stock.

Has anyone seen this issue or heard of it before?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

My friend (c5z) had that happen at a hpde ls6. Pretty stock motor (tune) with cold air intake. Oil dripped out of the air filter.

I have never had it on mine at hpde. I boot it pretty hard but not redline (usually).

Last edited by froggy47; 04-28-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:14 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

On my LS6 motor it happens all the time. I put in 2 catch cans to help stop it. One off the right side valve cover. The other one inline with the PCV system.

Steve
Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 PM
G.J. Dixon
Advanced

Interesting... So this is a somewhat common occurance? I've probably done at least 20 HPDE's and who knows how many autocrosses and this is the first time I've had this issue...

So if I put a new air filter in, cleaned up the mass air sensor, cleared the fault codes, then I should be good to go? Couldn't this be a possible sign of a more serious issue with the engine?

The only other thing that I can think of that would cause this at that event is the duration of time being off throttle at high revs building vacuum in the engine in a high speed braking zone, or the loading up of oil on one side of the engine from the banking?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tks, something to keep an eye on.. ♦

G.J. did you get it going again? G/L
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
G.J. Dixon
Advanced

I never had it cut out or not start, its still running and drives normally. Just everything is soaked in oil.

I have another HPDE at Lime Rock on Saturday and I was planning to take my other car since I thought this might be more of a serious issue than what's been said so far. But now I'm starting to wonder if it would be a good idea to get it back out on the track once everything is replaced and cleaned up to help blow out everything that's in the intake?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The LS3 motor is notorious for this issue, search the Auto-X/RR forum for "LS3 oiling issues" and you'll find a bunch of information. Or search for member name "wtknight", he was one of the first to race an LS3 in T1 and had much support from GM to fix this issue.

To date there is no fix, and therefore the SCCA has allowed drysump systems to be retrofitted on the LS3 cars to keep them from blowing up. In addition, please note that the Corvette Grand Sport model now comes standard with a dry sump. Coincidence?

My guess is that you're seeing it now because you're getting faster. The LS3 has problems with higher cornering loads, you're probably getting better and pushing your car harder than you were 20 HPDE's ago.

Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To LS3, Oil blew out the intake?

Quick Reply: LS3, Oil blew out the intake?