Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIR MAY 3rd, Who is going?????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default BIR MAY 3rd, Who is going?????????

Track is warm enough for us MN people Just curious on who is going to the BIR School day? I know Todd will be there in his C5. Steve in a Blue C6 will also be up there for his first track day, so take it easy on him, even more so if I'm in the passenger seat

My plans are to be there for the AM, coming home at 11:30 or so and Doug is heading up for the afternoon. So a Rippie can still be at the shop the whole day

http://www.birperformance.com/

Randy
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn man talk about a short d at the track isnt it quite a distance for you guys regardless?

It is ok to take a day off to have some fun you know

i will make it up there sometime this summer!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
damn man talk about a short d at the track isnt it quite a distance for you guys regardless?

It is ok to take a day off to have some fun you know

i will make it up there sometime this summer!
It's about a 1.75 hour drive up there. The point of going is to shake down my car, get some winter rust off me, and support the cause. BIR has been making many huge dollar changes for the road racers. We will do everything possible to support it.

I want to look after Todd with my last years engine. Help Steve learn his way around the track. Then make a couple hot laps in my car, pack it up and come back to the shop

Let me know when you are coming up and remember my house is a good jump off spot for the SD boys

Randy
Old 05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow can't belive i didn't see this sooner lol. Well the track day went well. motor held up and it sounds like randy had some good fly bys to bad a late start from Randys house made us a bit late but otherwise not bad. a warmer day woulda been awesome but can't complain. Have to Thank Randy for the Hospitality for crashing at his place and the meal. And doug and Todd for all the great work on the car it looks so good and clean especially with the extra request of gauges i asked for and such.

Pics and Videos of the weekend below

The Videos are of 2 laps and around 4minutes long

Brads Run on short track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tps9OZ_4vLk

My run on the short track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Bk4ImEcno

long track includes the drag strip

newer short track

pics from brainerd

full race prep

Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn those guys dont mess around up there with fully blown new model cars already with cages etc...

will deff have to run up there this summer!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was waiting for Randy to post an update. Looks like a good time. I take it the GTR and the white M3 belong to the same guy. Forget the guys name but he also has a 911 Turbo. Really nice guy that actually used to have a Vette (C4 I think). And for being in MN and only getting to run 6 months out of the year there is some pretty serious stuff every time we go to the track. Kind of surprised the blue Ford GT guy wasn't there...that guys always there . Haven't ever seen the NASA American Iron Camaro SS before. Hopefully I get to see that car at the track this year.

See now you other NASA region guys should think about coming to Brainerd more...sure is fun up there.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
damn those guys dont mess around up there with fully blown new model cars already with cages etc...

will deff have to run up there this summer!
It's a long winter up here Get your butt up here

Randy
Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
I was waiting for Randy to post an update. Looks like a good time. .
I was there It was a interesting day and like always, days leading up to the event.

Todd heard my alarm clock running for about a 1/2 hour:o. Then we had to run to Walmart for some MN gear. Something about Todd not bring anything other then a t-shirt. We cranked the trip out, so that was good and were fashionably late. The new trailer tires have been high speed tested

It was dark out with temps in the upper 40's and lower 50's windy at times. It was kinda nice inside the car at speed!!! Gary's school was good, I kept watching the clock because I had to get back to the shop So I ditched school and got out on the track. I stuck around for the intros, flags, corners, passing. I parked in a spot where the trailer ramps weren't even hardly needed for a quick load and unload time. Did the car's splitter get lower

The long track was a nice treat in the AM. That straight away is long

Ran about 5-7 laps getting things up to temp. Came in and played around with some tire pressures. Jumped back in and drove hard, and my baby was sweat to me Little bit of a push, a little bit of over steer, most of the time pretty hooked up for the lower track temps. Then packed her up and went back with a smile on my face. Fast, better then last year, brakes work, splitter doesn't hit any bumps, wing angle does make a difference, and bigger isnt always better.

A few more of the new safety items need to find there way into the car, but overall looking good. I passed my physical, why do they have to always draw blood, my arm hurt for three days after that mess.

The Hans thingy needs to be worked on a bit. Not real happy as of yet. Moving the seat around, and changing the mirror around. The side window net is always a bit of a pain, but it's needed.

John with the nice GTR and BMW and Etc. Is a super nice dude. Too bad my first impression with the guy was not having him sit with us Corvette guys. I hope he is past that by now

Brian and his Dad (I forget his name) are good people also. Carriage house built a nice ride and Dave was there with the car. They were there mostly shaking down the car and starting to get her dialed in.

My old man went out and stormed the place with his 69 for 5 laps and packed her up and came home. His first lap out on the short course was a 1:53 on 8.5 and 9.5 tires. So he is ready.......

Good times once again
Randy
Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Too F'ing far from Utah and none of our cars are ready but it would been a great way to spend my F'ing 58th birthday with my beautiful new most wonderful wife And you guys as well of course!!!!!

Rick
Old 05-06-2010, 08:51 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I shoulda known going to bed close to midnight that Randys 4:35 alarm would not do the job but a person dosen't know when they are a guest if there is certain things that would step overbounds ya know. And yeah a wally world stop was in order for a 5 dollar long sleeve shirt since my misses didn't get one packed for me even after she specifcally asked me about it.

But we made darn good time running to brainerd even after a lady in a honda i think it was tried to run randy off the road. And then of course randy was nice enough to let us was the car up before we loaded up the night prior but we ran through a couple rain showers on the way up so that pretty much dirtied my car up once again.

I will agree with Randy the Big track is a blast Myself and my friend Brad did get signed off pretty fast to run by ourselves which was nice. And i woulda like some more time to really get on the car more. I know my times where nothing lack luster but it's amazing what a year off will do to ya. And well it figures about the time a person gets real comfortable and wants to push it some you get slowed down by a wall of spec racers lol.

My goal for the next time i make it up there is to not run a lap time over 1:58 and well that will be pretty easy if i don't let off in the big straigh area.

Granted next time Randy i will bring the RV and we can just stay at the track and not have to worry about the early wakeup call how dose that sound?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:51 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
Well I shoulda known going to bed close to midnight that Randys 4:35 alarm would not do the job but a person dosen't know when they are a guest if there is certain things that would step overbounds ya know. And yeah a wally world stop was in order for a 5 dollar long sleeve shirt since my misses didn't get one packed for me even after she specifcally asked me about it.

But we made darn good time running to brainerd even after a lady in a honda i think it was tried to run randy off the road. And then of course randy was nice enough to let us was the car up before we loaded up the night prior but we ran through a couple rain showers on the way up so that pretty much dirtied my car up once again.

I will agree with Randy the Big track is a blast Myself and my friend Brad did get signed off pretty fast to run by ourselves which was nice. And i woulda like some more time to really get on the car more. I know my times where nothing lack luster but it's amazing what a year off will do to ya. And well it figures about the time a person gets real comfortable and wants to push it some you get slowed down by a wall of spec racers lol.

My goal for the next time i make it up there is to not run a lap time over 1:58 and well that will be pretty easy if i don't let off in the big straigh area.

Granted next time Randy i will bring the RV and we can just stay at the track and not have to worry about the early wakeup call how dose that sound?
Sounds good Todd. Note to anyone staying with me on a race weekend. Wake my butt up anyway needed. Bang on the bedroom door, tie a rope to my leg and use the lawn tractor to pull me out of bed. Pour hot or cold water on my head, my shotgun is under the bed and sheet rock is pretty cheap. 24 hours before Monday 4:30 I was just getting to bed. On Saturday I worked from 7AM to 4:00 AM, just to get caught back up. Then Sunday took it pretty easy compared to saturday anyways

Don't wake up my wife or we will all be in trouble:o She once slept in a tent with 75MPH winds without waking up. As I stayed up strapping the tent to the truck, trees, and even a huge rock.

Randy (never have been good at waking up)
Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA nice Randy. I'll bring the fireworks...

Get notified of new replies

To BIR MAY 3rd, Who is going?????????

Quick Reply: BIR MAY 3rd, Who is going?????????