Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good videos and write ups on CMP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:32 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good videos and write ups on CMP?

I will be attending CMP for the first time in June and am looking for some good videos and write ups about this track. I've seen a few rough videos on U-Tube. It looks like this track may require a second set of brake pads. Any details about correct line, tricky spots, etc. would be good to know also.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Dan,

Trackpedia is always a good source of information for any new track you visit.

Overview and info: http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Carol...torsports_Park

Turn-by-Turn: http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Turn_...rts_Park_track

Bring an extra set of pads and rotors if you can afford it. You definitely need to bring extra front pads just in case. Morris, Brandon and I will all have extra rotors and leftover pads if you cannot. I have gone through brake pads in two days at CMP multiple times, but you know how I drive (the Cobra and the Z06).

Couple of notes from my experiences:

- Walk the track before the event if you can
- A track with three 90 degree or greater turns, enough said
- There is a lot of camber in T4, use it to your advantage
- Run across the black patch in T6 to line yourself up for the apex
- Braking zone for T8 is uphill, use it
- T8 is on camber and then flattens out at track out. It will feel like the camber goes away, but it just flattens out. Be aware of this.
- Build up to your maximum speed on The Kink. Don't be skeert, but respect it.
- Steer with your right foot through T12 and T13
- If you start to run off the track out of T14, let it go. The gator there is VERY freaking rough, so just go ahead and run over it to the grass versus trying to straddle it. Ask me why I know

-Kevin
Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, I have a lot of viedeo from CMP. Kevin should have some it, if you can hook up with him and borrow a dvd or two.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Kevin,
Great info, thanks. The video is in a Z06 too! Damn he's fast.
I picked up a DRM brake cooling kit off Craigs list for $100. I just installed it this afternoon. I hope it helps my rotors out at CMP, but I know I won't be as hard on them as you are.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyBABVWnq5Y decent quality last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjRa...eature=related not so good

not great, but a few of my laps from the current configuration. There should be a ton of good video, just have to find them.

I won't tell you what I think of the track, but it is pretty easy to learn a basic line. The carousel is LONG, so be patient. Turn 8 has camber and is faster than you will first think, everything else just laaaaatttteeee apex and don't pinch/brake mid turn!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

I like to find video with good sound quality and video that I know is a good smooth line to download on my Ipod so I can take it with me to the track. During the break I can watch it. Thanks David for the CMP video
Old 04-26-2010, 12:19 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Well said Kevin. You coming next weekend?
I'm bringing the FRC so I won't be very fast. Hoping to get into the 43's though.

Here's a quick video of my last time there in my C5Z.. Pretty sloppy in a few spots, but it's close enough to share.
Had Mark nipped there for a while, but of course he pulled some of his last minute magic and trumped me again.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Greywolfe
Racer

Originally Posted by sperkins
I'm bringing the FRC so I won't be very fast.
Yeah right. The FRC is fast!

My first DE ever was at CMP. I remember I did it all in 4th gear and my time was something like 2:10, lol. Now I'm breaking into the high 1:40s.

Really late apex on turn 14 and like said above if you run out of track on track out just drive off. Those rumble strips are rough. As you get faster the kink can get fun, maintenance throttle to plant the rear through there.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
Well said Kevin. You coming next weekend?

Thanks... probably not. I have at least two more Time Trial events at CMP this year with THSCC, a third will not make me over-joyous. There is a certain Porsche Carrera that we run with in THSCC ASP that I am gunning for in June and I don't want to spend the extra $$ on tires and brakes to run CMP events two months in a row.

Besides, 25+ cars on track at CMP during a TT sounds more like a race, not a Time Trial. I can't imagine you would get more than one clean lap before hitting back markers. Maybe two laps if the leader keeps them bunched up. Working my way through traffic is always fun, but not when I am looking to set a fast time.

I enjoyed the NASA TT format at CMS a couple weeks ago and will be signing up for the July 2nd event. Probably join you guys at Road Atlanta in December as well.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. If I come down to hang out, I will say hello.

-Kevin
Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
a good smooth line
If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough.

Taking more curb in the kink tends to make it easier. Bass-ackwards, but that's what I found.

As Kevin said, watch the exit of 8, there's a pavement transition there. You'll light the tires when you come off the new to the old. Best to have the car pointed straight when that happens.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll throw this in there for "quality" purposes (decent quality, you can see the track pretty well). Wide angle lense on an HD camera. There is more of what not to do in the clip. This was my first weekend at CMP though, so ignore the sloppy driving.

It is not my favorite track, but it's very technical, and tricky to get right. The kink is a lot of fun, the rest is just an auto-x on sand. IMHO if they would re-work 14 to have more of a sweeper on to the front straight, it would take a lot of abuse out of the brakes and make the track more fun.

http://vimeo.com/4449884
Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
I will be attending CMP for the first time in June and am looking for some good videos and write ups about this track. I've seen a few rough videos on U-Tube. It looks like this track may require a second set of brake pads. Any details about correct line, tricky spots, etc. would be good to know also.
Thanks
My first time instructing there last year I found the turn by turn walk thru at trackpedia to be very helpful!
Are you going with the Mustang club the first weekend of June?
I'll be there instructing, if my R6's syill have some life I'll probably wear them out and put new tires on before VIR and Charlotte.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Not sure what event you are doing in June, but if it is the CRMC event you will be given an instructor regardless of your experience. If it is anohter event, ask for a ride first time out with an instructor in a similar (front engine/rear drive/high HP) car. The time invested can greatly shorten the learning curve.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Wally,

I am pretty certain Dan is going to attend our THSCC event. I will personally make sure that he has you as his instructor. After that, we may not see him anymore. LOL!

-Kevin
Old 04-26-2010, 03:21 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Dan,

On a serious note, if you are attending the THSCC event, if you can get down there Friday afternoon around 5pm or so, I would be more than happy to take a track walk with you. We will be finished with the Instructor Clinic and Lapping by then. If you think it will be later, let me know.

Better yet, if you can get down there in the afternoon, I can find a person or two to take you for a ride around the track to show you the line.

-Kevin
Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greywolfe
Yeah right. The FRC is fast!
It is now
Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
It is now
We'll see. Thanks for the hookup on the tune buddy.

Get notified of new replies

To Any good videos and write ups on CMP?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Kevin,
I'll get there early Friday afternoon so I can walk the track and catch a ride along. I look forward to it. I'm going to NAPA today to get an extra set of rotors just in case. Let me know where you get your Carbotech pads from. I've been using PFC Z-rated and got 4 full days at VIR out of them with still 1/4 pad left. If CMP is that hard on pads, I may give the Carbotech pads a try.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Kevin,
I'll get there early Friday afternoon so I can walk the track and catch a ride along. I look forward to it. I'm going to NAPA today to get an extra set of rotors just in case. Let me know where you get your Carbotech pads from. I've been using PFC Z-rated and got 4 full days at VIR out of them with still 1/4 pad left. If CMP is that hard on pads, I may give the Carbotech pads a try.
Contact me direct 216-780-8825 i will be happy to help with your pads
Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I've been using PFC Z-rated and got 4 full days at VIR out of them with still 1/4 pad left. If CMP is that hard on pads, I may give the Carbotech pads a try.
4 days VIR = 2 sessions at CMP

Quick Reply: Any good videos and write ups on CMP?