Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leaking from dipstick while at a HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Mike hoppe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil leaking from dipstick while at a HPDE

Last weekend at Buttonwillow had a lot of oil spray out of the dipstick tube at high rpm. The car has a catch can. Has anyone experienced this under same conditions? If so have you found a remedy for it? Has anyone tried the GZ vacuum pump? If so, did it work?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike hoppe
Last weekend at Buttonwillow had a lot of oil spray out of the dipstick tube at high rpm. The car has a catch can. Has anyone experienced this under same conditions? If so have you found a remedy for it? Has anyone tried the GZ vacuum pump? If so, did it work?
Mike

You should add some info like engine type, mods and where your catch can is hooked up.

Have you crimped the dipstick tube yet ?? Blocked the valve cover vent and used the top of the oil fill cap yet ??

Maybe someone will let you know how to check for blow by which can pop the dipstick

DH
Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I was there, but not sure if I met you. I have a procharged GTO with around 760 rwhp that had this problem, but I only drag race with it. I would not want this issue on a road course. Depending on how bad your blowby is, there are different solutions. After running breathers and making a mess all over my engine compartment, I installed a GZ vacuum pump and it works great. However, like I said I've only run it at the dragstrip so I don't know if they are designed for prolonged high rpm track days. Might want to call the owner to see what he says and if he's sold any to other roadcourse guys.

Whatever you do, you must relieve the crankcase pressure. If you just crimp your dipstick you are likely to blow your rear main seal. First thing I would do is check to make sure your engine is OK. Do a leak down and compression test. Sometimes bad blowby is a sign of a broken ringland or piston (ask me how I know ). If that turns out OK, then another thing you can do (besides a vacuum pump) is remove your valve covers and weld on some large -12 AN male fittings and then run -12 braided tubing to 2 large catch cans with breathers. I'm not an expert, but this is what I have seen and done myself. Good luck,

Bill.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:50 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I deal with this all the time. I have a LS3 416 and its crank case pressure is unreal. After pumping out over a quart last week from the tube and covering the car with oil, I decided to run a huge breather oil cap. I had a breather catch can and it still did this. I bet I have tried 20 different variations of a PCV system..here is what I have now and seems to work...

The drivers side valve cover is vented to the passengers valve cover back port. The front port on the passenger is capped. The oil fil is a breather. I run the valley cover to a breather catch can as well. The intake is capped off as well.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
I deal with this all the time. I have a LS3 416 and its crank case pressure is unreal. After pumping out over a quart last week from the tube and covering the car with oil, I decided to run a huge breather oil cap. I had a breather catch can and it still did this. I bet I have tried 20 different variations of a PCV system..here is what I have now and seems to work...

The drivers side valve cover is vented to the passengers valve cover back port. The front port on the passenger is capped. The oil fil is a breather. I run the valley cover to a breather catch can as well. The intake is capped off as well.
Do you have any pics of your setup?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1

That's what I was doing before I went with the vacuum pump. Got tired of all the oil spewing out of the breather and all over the engine compartment. One thing you can do to minimize this is to make a custom baffle that goes inside the oil fill tube under the breather.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike hoppe
On my car last season I had that issue. I did a compression test and several where low with one at 70#! After pulling it apart the rings were all broken.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
do you have any pics of your setup?
+1..
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Mike hoppe
Advanced

No pic's. Redtopz, how is the vac working?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:23 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
Do you have any pics of your setup?
I sure dont. Im only home on weekends to see the car...i will try and snap some this Sat...

Get notified of new replies

To oil leaking from dipstick while at a HPDE

Quick Reply: oil leaking from dipstick while at a HPDE