Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires & "Thanks!"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Default Tires & "Thanks!"

Ran an HPDE yesterday at Pacific Raceways (formerly SIR) just outside of Seattle. In past years I've used Hooser R6s but going thru wheel bearings like a kid thru candy was getting really old. Even when I could return some under warranty, just having to change them all the time was p*ssing me off

Given the above, I switched to Nitto NT01s for this year. I was concerned that after using Hoosiers for years I was going to be more than a little disappointed with the loss of traction and just the feel in general. Reality was that I was very pleased with the tires and how they performed. Came up to temp very quickly, had a nice stable feel to them, never overheated when pushed, and were very predictable at the limit. FWIW, if you're looking for a middle ground tire, I recommend you consider the NT01 during your research.

My thanks is to "KentZ06" here on the CF. We've been instructing together for a couple of years. He has an '07 Z with the full Pfadt treatment, aftermarket brakes, etc. Always fun to go for a ride in his car. Yesterday he let me take it out for a spin. Wow Thanks once again Dean!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been using those at Pacific for several years. The only issue I have with them there is loose backend in T2 braking zone if they get too hot. otherwise, an excellent track tire. Funny you mentioned wheel bearings - I actually went the "other way" and changed from NT01 to Hoosiers. First day out - busted bearing...
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Ran an HPDE yesterday at Pacific Raceways (formerly SIR) just outside of Seattle. In past years I've used Hooser R6s but going thru wheel bearings like a kid thru candy was getting really old. Even when I could return some under warranty, just having to change them all the time was p*ssing me off

Given the above, I switched to Nitto NT01s for this year. I was concerned that after using Hoosiers for years I was going to be more than a little disappointed with the loss of traction and just the feel in general. Reality was that I was very pleased with the tires and how they performed. Came up to temp very quickly, had a nice stable feel to them, never overheated when pushed, and were very predictable at the limit. FWIW, if you're looking for a middle ground tire, I recommend you consider the NT01 during your research.

My thanks is to "KentZ06" here on the CF. We've been instructing together for a couple of years. He has an '07 Z with the full Pfadt treatment, aftermarket brakes, etc. Always fun to go for a ride in his car. Yesterday he let me take it out for a spin. Wow Thanks once again Dean!
Problem I have with Kent is that they use TREES for guardrail!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:21 AM
kevinGS671
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jim
At the session where I blew my clutch that you already know about, I was using NT-01's.

Just scrubbing them in, after 10 miles on the road, 5 slow laps behind the pace car and 5 actual moderate laps when the clutch then blew the tires were just starting to get grippy.

They were 32PSi cold and I never got a chance to measure them afterwards due to the clutch, but there is an indication they should be a tad lower at say 29PSI cold. Hoosiers I run 35-37 Cold.

Pictures attached.

Cheers
Kevin
GS#0671
Wellington
New Zealand
The following users liked this post:
gsport (11-18-2021)
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 AM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

Good to know they're descent. I've only ran nt01 and couldn't pass up a deal on another set, but I've been wanting to try something else for comparison. They feel very predictable to me also.

What bearing manufacture have you been using? Front or rear?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have run NT-01's at MSR Cresson and Hallett and am very pleased. They are stable and seem to hold grip on long runs. I dont think they are quite as fast as some of the stickier tires (V710's) but much more durable.

Joe
Old 06-06-2011, 03:00 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Wow, a thread back from the dead!

Hi Kevin...I run the tires at 32 front / 30 rear. One thing to keep in mind is that the temps here are pretty cool, no 140* asphault temps, etc.

lbs90ZR...I've tried them all...OEM, Timken, etc and it's gotten to the point I run whatever I can get cheap when I need them. Because of the track setup, I go thru left front bearings in 3-4 track days. I can get about 8 out of the right side. Rears last a little longer than that.

Joe...I ran Hoosier R6s before the NT01s and I was going thru bearings in a day. I guess the car sticks pretty well
Old 06-06-2011, 10:50 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn that is a funky looking tread pattern
Old 11-18-2021, 12:53 AM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha.. talk about bringing back from the dead, an old thread. I’ve never seen this thread before, I am Jim, the original owner of Grandsport 671… gone but never forgotten

Get notified of new replies

To Tires & "Thanks!"

Quick Reply: Tires & "Thanks!"