Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for the track::: Your feedback needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:51 PM
JB427
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for the track::: Your feedback needed!

Just bought my '07 Z06 and gettin' right to business in it, could use some help/suggestions... so I'm all ears. BY THE WAY, keeping it a DD/Track use car:
1) Wheels/tires: buddy tells me good track tires are $935 thru Nitto Tires, save your receipt and get a DISCOUNT at next Speedventures event. They are similar to slicks, but MUCH cheaper and will last a long time.
2) Adjustable front Camber Kit so that I don't kill those tires in 1 day (which he did) http://www.southerncarparts.com/pfad...ber-p-654.html : This kit seems to pop up EVERYWHERE. I'm still driving the Z on the street and want a SIMPLE adjustment for track days...
3) Roll cage or at least a bar (my understanding is that there are some pretty nice unobtrusive bolt ons) http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...te_safety.html I'm still needed to retain a passenger seat and ideally need easy exit as the car is street driven/legal... their Street-Sport Roll Bar - $484.45 looks good so far... ANY OTHER SOURCES?
4) HANS device (missed a $500 PRO carbon version on Craigslist... shoulda grabbed it) Regular is fine, I just won't eat a burger the day b4 to save the 2lbs or whatever the weight diff is
5) 4 or 5 point belt to bolt in on track days. IS IT possible to keep stock seat/belt for Daily drive?? Seems like it could latch to roll bar but still as comfy/safe?
6) tow point
7) window net: IF I DON'T GO CAGE, is there another way to add one??? God forbid I ever roll, I don't wanna lose my left arm. I'd be extra screwed... I'm a south paw!
BTW: I posted this in general section b4 I found this section: I KNOW, SEAT time is most important! I'm wanting to find PRODUCT info, sources and suggestions. It was also brought up that oil systems should be upgraded. Any sources or feedback? thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I buy slicks from forum racers for cheaper than you are buying nittos. I wouldn't worry about adjusting camber for the track, but that's just me. I have corded a single tire in one weekend before though.

I want a better seat and a Hans device. I can tell you that the most limiting factor for me going fast are the poor stock seats. Even with a six point harness, I'm working too hard to stabilize myself on turns to be taking the turn right.

If you don't have stainless steel braided brake lines and speedbleeders with good fluid, you are only hurting yourself.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Your getting there.

HANS or similar devices should only be used with a proper race seat, seat mount and 6 point harnesses.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll see a post that LG just did for scrubs (Dunlops and Pirelli slicks) Pick those up, you'll be saving yourself alot of money, you can pretty much get 2 full sets for the price you said the Nittos were. They are a supporting vendor good to do business with.

If you get a bar or cage, look at getting it welded in, sounds like you want this to be a fun and SAFE track car, so might as well do it properly.

Tow hooks - Pheonix or PFADT are supporting vendors on here and have them listed all the time, however the design is pretty much the same no matter who you get it from.

HANS... If you dont have a full containment seat (FCS) which I'm assuming you dont, you might want to look at the "Defender" Its not as popular yet because its relatively new, but its very comfortable and has been getting great reviews. I have tried on both the HANS and the Defender I think I will be going the Defender route.. the reason is that it protects your neck from a side to side motion where the HANS doesnt. That doesnt impact pro drivers because they have FCS. ECS is a supporting vendor on here and sells them.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 PM
JB427
Intermediate

Default Proper Seat

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I'm working too hard to stabilize myself on turns to be taking the turn right.

I had a C6 Last weekend I was out... Felt the SAME thing! Was hoping the Z seat would be a little beefier, but no... SO,
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR SEATS!?!? I've seen racing seats where they attach to your electronics, so you can move forward or back to get in/out (this ok)??
Any supporting dealers with great seats?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

A good seat should be bolted into place. A manual slider is ok.
Electronic is too heavy.

Look at Sparko Evo or EVO2, or Racetech seats there are others too.

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bi...page=Seats.htm

No leather seats. Leather gets too hot and slipery
Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's my car

i was very happy with the seats on the track and was able to focus solely on driving the car, definitely a HUGE improvement over stock seats, which are complete garbage for track use.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 AM
JB427
Intermediate

I've heard (from one of the NASA instructors) that ANY time you replace factory seating you MUST add a roll cage/bar as the stock seats are manufactured to assist in the safety in the event you roll.... any feedback on that!?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Your street tires will do fine for your first few events. Forget the "sticky" race tires until you find the limits of the street tires.

2. Same for your alignment. You can dial in a little more camber, as long as you stay unde -1.5 it should still be fine for DD duties

3. Roll bar/cage is a complicated install in C6Z due to aluminum frame. Make sure your installer knows exactly what he is doing. You will spend a lot more $$ on the install than a bar itself. Full cage is not safe for street driving unless you are going to put on a helmet on your way to work. There is not such thing as "unobtrusive bolt-on roll protection". Anything that will actually work in the case of roll over will require cutting into the car.

4. HANS requires very specific angle/routing of the harness - make sure your installer knows you will be using HANS

5. 5 or 6 point only. NO 4 POINTS! You MUST have a race seat to use a harness safely. You MUST install the harness correctly to get more protection than factory belt. Some organizations will not let you go on track if you show up with a 4 point harness or a combination of a harness and a stock seat. And they will be correct in doing so.

6. Up to you.

7. No way to mount it without a cage, don't worry about it.

I will let C6Z owners chime in about oiling upgrades. You are likey going to be fine until you upgrade to sticky tires and get goood enough to really haul it in the corners.

Find a race shop in your area and have them go through the car and check everything out, especially if you bought the car used nad never had it on the track before, they can dial in a good street/track alignment while they're at it.

One more thing about seats/harnesses. It is highly recommended that you install equal protection for both driver and passenger, otherwise you may have trouble finding instructors who are willing to get into your car.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted by JB427
Just bought my '07 Z06 and gettin' right to business in it, could use some help/suggestions... so I'm all ears. BY THE WAY, keeping it a DD/Track use car:
1) Wheels/tires: buddy tells me good track tires are $935 thru Nitto Tires, save your receipt and get a DISCOUNT at next Speedventures event. They are similar to slicks, but MUCH cheaper and will last a long time.
2) Adjustable front Camber Kit so that I don't kill those tires in 1 day (which he did) http://www.southerncarparts.com/pfad...ber-p-654.html : This kit seems to pop up EVERYWHERE. I'm still driving the Z on the street and want a SIMPLE adjustment for track days...
3) Roll cage or at least a bar (my understanding is that there are some pretty nice unobtrusive bolt ons) http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...te_safety.html I'm still needed to retain a passenger seat and ideally need easy exit as the car is street driven/legal... their Street-Sport Roll Bar - $484.45 looks good so far... ANY OTHER SOURCES?
4) HANS device (missed a $500 PRO carbon version on Craigslist... shoulda grabbed it) Regular is fine, I just won't eat a burger the day b4 to save the 2lbs or whatever the weight diff is
5) 4 or 5 point belt to bolt in on track days. IS IT possible to keep stock seat/belt for Daily drive?? Seems like it could latch to roll bar but still as comfy/safe?
6) tow point
7) window net: IF I DON'T GO CAGE, is there another way to add one??? God forbid I ever roll, I don't wanna lose my left arm. I'd be extra screwed... I'm a south paw!
BTW: I posted this in general section b4 I found this section: I KNOW, SEAT time is most important! I'm wanting to find PRODUCT info, sources and suggestions. It was also brought up that oil systems should be upgraded. Any sources or feedback? thanks!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard (from one of the NASA instructors) that ANY time you replace factory seating you MUST add a roll cage/bar as the stock seats are manufactured to assist in the safety in the event you roll.... any feedback on that!?
sounds like BS to me. There is no way a factory seat (engineered for comfort) with a "hinge" between the seat and seatback is better at withstanding rollover than 1 piece seat.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

and factor seats should not use 5 or 6 point harness system, but stick with the stock DOT 3 point harness
Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
jlvink66
Pro

Here are some thoughts on the priority order of a few items on your list;
* Safety equipment first is always a good idea.
* You can get by with stock seats and belts until you get sticky tires.
* When you get your race seat and 6-point harness, it is a PITA to drive on the street this way. There is no solution for stock belts with the race seat setup that I know of. Switching the seats out each time is not too bad, <30minutes/seat.
* I would prioritize some good track or dual use brake pads, stainless brake lines, and some front cooling ducts higher on the list than sticky tires. (I did overheat my brakes with stock tires,).
* Before adding sticky tires, I would add the larger dry sump tank. Even more insurance would be to also add the ARE oil pan/baffles.

The two biggest issues of street/track dual-use that I have experienced are the seats and the squealing track pads. If you sign up for taking the time to switch both of those items each time you run, dual usage will work.

John
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

and run 10 -12 events BEFORE considering sticky tires.

Stock tires are great to learn on

have fun and report back with pics

Good Luck
Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 AM
JB427
Intermediate

again, great advice. I had also thought "BS" once I heard a roll cage is req'd after installing racing seats, however stocks ARE much heavier and who knows if there's a reinforcement within them, but the hinge and comfort, etc DO cater towards the DD. Also sounds like a lot of the C6Z owners are recommending oil and brake upgrades, GREAT IDEA! My next so cal event is end of May so I've got some work to do! ThankS!
ANY DIRECT site recommendations for SS Brake lines, pads, oil upgrades, etc..?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

again, great advice. I had also thought "BS" once I heard a roll cage is req'd after installing racing seats, however stocks ARE much heavier and who knows if there's a reinforcement within them, but the hinge and comfort, etc DO cater towards the DD. Also sounds like a lot of the C6Z owners are recommending oil and brake upgrades, GREAT IDEA! My next so cal event is end of May so I've got some work to do! ThankS!
ANY DIRECT site recommendations for SS Brake lines, pads, oil upgrades, etc..?
Its not BS. For 90% of crashes youre better off w/ a racing seat than without. However in a rollover, without a cage, you are better off in a stock seat. The racing seat fixes you in an upright position, and you have nowhere to slide down when the roof comes crashing down on your skull. In a stock seat you slide down and the seatback flexes.

At the end of the day its your call.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:50 AM
JB427
Intermediate

Thanx Wally, Sounds official! That's the answer I'm going with... it that your Vette in your pic? What are you running? Anyone else? REGARDING SEATS with a cage or roll bar? 90% are great odds, but skull is kinda a biggie... It would seem I'm going for the Sparco seat and finding a VERY LEGIT welding shop who can install a roll bar (not cage for a number of reasons). Anyone running a cage or Bar? What's to be expected when trying to have it welded to aluminum!?!?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welding brings a lot of additional cost as you're likely to be dropping a lot out of the car (gas tank and whatever is required to get to that, etc.). The frame of the Z06 is aluminum which means you're going to have a limited number of shops that could actually even contemplate doing the work. Many people are looking at a bolt-in installation (myself included) in spite of the fact that obviously a welded installation would be superior strength.

Re-read longdaddy's response as his views are on point, in my opinion. My personal path is looking like a Pfadt or LG 5 point chassis/harness bar, 8 point Sparco harnesses, a HANS, and probably Recaro Profi SPG seats. Seats, like helmets, are a body shape/personal comfort item so try as many as possible and figure out which one you like the best. Retailers are hard to find so you may have to drive a distance to find one.

You need to design the seat, harness, HANS, and harness bar to work together, and make sure they fit your body type. It is not a pick or choose type of thing. You could end up with a seat that won't work with the HANS or you could spend several thousand dollars and be very uncomfortable as examples of what can go wrong if you .

For your first event, have your car inspected and fix any issues, change the oil and put in high quality Motul or ATE brake fluid, bring a spare set of brake pads, some extra oil, air pressure gauge, torque wrench (you'll also be able to borrow one if needed), helmet, things to drink, and a humble, willing-to-learn attitude.

Have fun and be safe.

Get notified of new replies

To Ready for the track::: Your feedback needed!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6) tow point
Do yourself a favor and go to the track stock with a helmet.
As you gain more skills you'll know what you want to get...
I'll address your points
1) Street tires are ok, but wont really let you be competitive, something around an 80-140 treadwear will let you drive to the track and back and give awesome handling. Better than street tires that are on the car now.
2)I run -1f/-0.5r camber and the car still handles well.. you dont need 3 degrees of negative camber for the car to be fast...
3)Dont need roll cage or harness bar they're optional
4)Dont waste your money on a hans right now, just get a good helmet
5) 5 or 6 pt harness if you choose to go that route
6) Tow point is good if you blow your engine.. like I did.. lol or if you go off the track into mud or gravel, good idea to have and they're cheap
7)No need for a net.. you're not in nascar lol
Old 04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Guess we should have started at the begining.

Order of mods:

1. Contact patches- first and foremost

a. Brake pads, Brake fluid and brake cooling
b. Seats and 6 point harness
c. tires

then nothing but seat time
Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 PM
rag1998
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Guess we should have started at the begining.

Order of mods:

1. Contact patches- first and foremost

a. Brake pads, Brake fluid and brake cooling
b. Seats and 6 point harness
c. tires

then nothing but seat time
This is the exact order I am thinking of following..

I am in the process of sourcing some DBA rotors(4000 Series) & Carbotech XP10, XP8 for the track & Bobcats for the street. ATE Brake Fluid & Quantum engineering brake ducts, SS Brake Lines..

Seats- FX1 Pro is what I am thinking of(Price is factor to consider for me)

SharkBar harness bar

Didnt yet decide on which harness

Tires- Toyo RA1's, if I am able to source some used CCW 18's, until then I will just run my Nitto Invos..

Quick Reply: Ready for the track::: Your feedback needed!