Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballpark cost of a C5Z "T1-style" cage...

Old 04-16-2010, 09:01 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ballpark cost of a C5Z "T1-style" cage...

...for those of you that have had a C5 caged, what did it run? I'm considering have my Z caged-up. With the power and traction it has it just seems prudent, even if I'm not W2W racing. I'm curious what I'm getting into.

Thanks,
TJ
Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that about 5k would cover it for a nice cage.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Give or take depending on what options you want.
Do yourself a favor and go to someone who has done a C5/C6 or two and if possible "try one on", see how you fit in the car with the cage and see if there are any things you need moved to fit you as a driver.
You'll be happy you did.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jaymz
I would say that about 5k would cover it for a nice cage.
Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport

Give or take depending on what options you want.
Do yourself a favor and go to someone who has done a C5/C6 or two and if possible "try one on", see how you fit in the car with the cage and see if there are any things you need moved to fit you as a driver.
You'll be happy you did.
Thanks, that sounds like what I was expecting. I contacted a local builder who's done a lot of NASA/SCCA/CMC cars, including C5/6s. I'm in Afghanistan for another ~4 months and would love to take advantage of the forced down-time to get it done IF I decide to go for it. I know the final work (seat mounting etc) will need to wait 'til I'm there to measure up. But I think a lot of it could get done in my absence.

-TJ
Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

If you prep the car I would expect $2-3K. Lots of labor cost to prep car. Some shops want the fuel tanks out along with the windshield. On the last C5 I did we pulled all of the interior to include dash, fuel tanks and windshield out was less then 2k by Kirks, a local SE cage builder. The more you do the less you have to pay to have someone else to do but I enjoy working on the car where my racing partner is willing to pay for everything done.

Make sure the shop has a current copy of the GCR and agree to build a cage that will pass inspection.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree with the above posts, 4-5K should do it. On the C5Z you need to pull the rear window too. I think it is the best and the most important thing you can do if you are going to track your car...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:11 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by exracer28
If you prep the car I would expect $2-3K. Lots of labor cost to prep car. Some shops want the fuel tanks out along with the windshield. On the last C5 I did we pulled all of the interior to include dash, fuel tanks and windshield out was less then 2k by Kirks, a local SE cage builder. The more you do the less you have to pay to have someone else to do but I enjoy working on the car where my racing partner is willing to pay for everything done.

Make sure the shop has a current copy of the GCR and agree to build a cage that will pass inspection.

That's exactly what we did and saved a TON of money.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Please make sure you have the cage built to SCCA/NASA standards. You may not race W2W now, but you may decide to in the future. Or if you sell the car, the next owner may want to.

I highly recommend printing out the rules for both (if they aren't the same) and give them to the builder and make sure they read through everything about the cages and abide by them...
Old 04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Whatever you do don't buy a Wolfe drag race cage. I wasted a few bucks on that. Live and learn.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A full scca roll cage would be $4800, plus 1150 to paint it a color of your joice, fully reassembled and ready to race with a window net and windows operable.

price I recieved
Old 04-16-2010, 01:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bink
Whatever you do don't buy a Wolfe drag race cage. I wasted a few bucks on that. Live and learn.
What happen with it?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We get 5500 bucks painted in Flat black. Some of the tricker cages end up being more.

Randy
Old 04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

along the lines of things that you need to do to weld in a roll cage: putting the fuel tanks back into my vette with the driveline intact was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do mechanically. I wouldn't recommend approaching that job 'lightly'.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
price I recieved
Mind PMing me who/where?

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
We get 5500 bucks painted in Flat black. Some of the tricker cages end up being more.

Randy
I wish you guys were closer. I'd have to spend $2k+ just to ship my car back and forth to you.

-TJ
Old 04-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
along the lines of things that you need to do to weld in a roll cage: putting the fuel tanks back into my vette with the driveline intact was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do mechanically. I wouldn't recommend approaching that job 'lightly'.
Would it helpt to cut an access hole in the tub?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:37 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
Good lord I couldn't even imagine that. It was hard enough putting the tanks back in with everything out.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by sperkins
Good lord I couldn't even imagine that. It was hard enough putting the tanks back in with everything out.
I can't wait.

Get notified of new replies

To Ballpark cost of a C5Z "T1-style" cage...

Old 04-18-2010, 11:28 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

I got a rough quote back from my local builder. It was right in line with what you all have said. Also, the first question he asked was which sanctioning bodies/series I was considering running so he could make sure it is legal. I think I'm going to move forward with it.

I still have some things to figure out though. Should I have it extended through the firewall to tie in with the front frame/suspension pick-up points?

If we do it, I'll also be deleting the airbags, going with a lightweight steering wheel, and some Kirkey seats with seat-mounts integrated into the cage (including seat back supports).

Anything else I should be thinking about?

-TJ
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TJ, give Tony a call at www.tcdesignfab.com ... they build a lot of cages for folks around SFBA and I think they even show a C5 cage on their website. They've got my RX7 over there right now... you'll need to decide which rules package you want to build the cage to as it'll dictate much of the build.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
I got a rough quote back from my local builder. It was right in line with what you all have said. Also, the first question he asked was which sanctioning bodies/series I was considering running so he could make sure it is legal. I think I'm going to move forward with it.

I still have some things to figure out though. Should I have it extended through the firewall to tie in with the front frame/suspension pick-up points?

If we do it, I'll also be deleting the airbags, going with a lightweight steering wheel, and some Kirkey seats with seat-mounts integrated into the cage (including seat back supports).

Anything else I should be thinking about?

-TJ
IIRC, tying the front shock towers to the cage is not legal in T1. Get rid of those airbags, you can shed some weight and make the car safer by doing so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ballpark cost of a C5Z "T1-style" cage...