Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch your springs my GS cracked one!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Watch your springs my GS cracked one!

I didn't drive my GS after going to the 2006 reunion at Carlisle. I got pounded so bad on the way home I shoved it in the garage and never looked back I said it probably needs shocks. Well I was dragging it out to drive it and an animal screwed up the car so it is getting painted entirely.

When I took it out of the garage it looked lower on one side but I paid it no attention and figured it was a low tire. Auto body guys ask if I lowered it and I said a tad but not that low. Spring cracked towards the passenger side and that is why I got pounded. Car has 30,000 miles and I am the original owner. Shocked this happen even thought I heard it before. So check you springs before tracking your car. I have not personally seen the spring yet.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I have heard that the springs have a protective coating that can be removed by some caustic cleaning agents such as some wheel cleaners and, thus, delaminate. Could this have been a contributing factor??
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not too uncommon, I know a couple of C5s that cracked the front spring. if one day you get than nice race lowered look without doing any work, check that baby
Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

rear spring and no cleaners other than car wash soap. It has seen some spirited driving in it's days. I drove the stock rims and tires to cut half moons in the fenderwells on the street..:o
Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Did this have the rocker arm recall done?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Did this have the rocker arm recall done?
in the motor? No
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
in the motor? No
Not even the recall on the recall?? Perhaps yours is one of the last production, no? My LT4 has had no problems but the springs are weak at 122k miles. After blowing up my Z06 last month with some modification work, I am a little reluctant to mod the LT4 heads at this time.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by southern_son
Not even the recall on the recall?? Perhaps yours is one of the last production, no? My LT4 has had no problems but the springs are weak at 122k miles. After blowing up my Z06 last month with some modification work, I am a little reluctant to mod the LT4 heads at this time.
It is a high # like 918 I think it is in my sig but I won't know till I post. Tranny died in short order like 4-5,000 miles I pulled into a deli and cam out and had no reverse Push it back and got it into 3rd and drove it to the dealer at a fairly high RPM in 3rd. May be I should do coil-overs I'll talk to Randy to see if I have to do anything to the car I cannot reverse. It has the ride control in it. I didn't know any better in '96
Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Spring cracked towards the passenger side and that is why I
got pounded. Car has 30,000 miles and I am the original owner.
Shocked this happened even though I've heard of it before.
Is the cat-back portion of the exhaust aftermarket or OEM?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:41 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Is the cat-back portion of the exhaust aftermarket or OEM?

good point

Borla I will have to check clearances
Old 04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my rear spring get cracked, C5 2000 and 100k miles. I came off the track and someone said 'wow you really lowered your car'

I think what caused mine was that when I had some transmission work done the shop did not secure the brake lines, the hard line of course vibrated and hit and destroyed the inner CV boot. Shot CV boot and grease everywhere of course, I assumed something in this shower nicked or caused the start of the spring deterioration. Things go bad quickly on the track. Luckily nothing bad happened to me and it was late Sunday afternoon.

Of course the shop was out of business by the time this happened. What are the chances of that happening I'm trying to do most of my own work since then, so I know who to blame and be able to find them

Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MattB
I had my rear spring get cracked, C5 2000 and 100k miles. I came off the track and someone said 'wow you really lowered your car'

I think what caused mine was that when I had some transmission work done the shop did not secure the brake lines, the hard line of course vibrated and hit and destroyed the inner CV boot. Shot CV boot and grease everywhere of course, I assumed something in this shower nicked or caused the start of the spring deterioration. Things go bad quickly on the track. Luckily nothing bad happened to me and it was late Sunday afternoon.

Of course the shop was out of business by the time this happened. What are the chances of that happening I'm trying to do most of my own work since then, so I know who to blame and be able to find them

I wonder why they are out of business?

Get notified of new replies

To Watch your springs my GS cracked one!

Quick Reply: Watch your springs my GS cracked one!