Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catch can How and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:11 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default catch can How and Why?

OK, I know the claimed purpose of the catchcan to capture oil from the valley before it is dumped down stream of the MAF. So here is the question. Why run a catchcan? The passenger head valve cover has a bleed hose to the top of the MAF. The valley has a bleed hose on the intake side of the MAF. Why not connect the valley bleed hoe to the top of the valve cover so that the oil will just make a circle back to the pan and just plug the inlets to the MAF?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:18 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The catchcan is inserted in the PCV path and rerouting the hoses as you suggest would defeat the PCV action which is designed to ingest and burn any blowby gasses in the crankcase.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I installed a vented catch can because the blow by gases will pressurize the crankcase so it has to vent somehow. You cannot just connect the two lines.

I have push in style breathers with a hose barb on them and the hoses are routed to this red container. The can will catch any oil and it still vents the system.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Search under my username and you will see how I did my current setup. No one has ever done these the right way. I explained how I did mine. The main thing is removing the vacuum source. Use it for smog and nothing else.

Get notified of new replies

To catch can How and Why?

Quick Reply: catch can How and Why?