Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you need to re-align your car??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default How often do you need to re-align your car??

It seems like I have to re-align my car several times per year. The alignment stays good much longer after I made the shop actually use the torques called out in the manual....But, it still seems like I have to do it a lot. Is this normal when you autocross and do track days?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I bet the alignment is not moving.

What is happening is... most shops don't regularly calibrate (as in they probably never calibrate and probably have not re-calibrated since the original alignment machine installation) their machines so you are getting different readings for the same alignment. I went to three different shops in short order about three years ago and they all gave me very different readings.

I now either do my own limited alignment work or take it to a shop I trust and those shops are usually doing it the old fashion way with springs.

Oli
Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Once I had the alignment adjusted the way I wanted it my 03Z went a couple of years before I had another alignment done.

Bill
Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

unless something is wearing out (a bushing etc), or your concentrics are moving (mark them with sharpee/paint pen), your alignment should not change.

If all you are doing is driving, swapping tires, and more driving, you should be good for a few seasons.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
unless something is wearing out (a bushing etc), or your concentrics are moving (mark them with sharpee/paint pen), your alignment should not change.

If all you are doing is driving, swapping tires, and more driving, you should be good for a few seasons.
Thanks for all of the comments. I will try marking my concentrics. My current situation is that my steering wheel is slightly off center and my car is pulling to one side. I think I need to find a more competent shoop and have them check it out.

Thanks,
Charley
Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was done by Pheonix 2 years ago and marked with a yellow paint pen. From what I can tell it has not moved since.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Thanks for all of the comments. I will try marking my concentrics. My current situation is that my steering wheel is slightly off center and my car is pulling to one side. I think I need to find a more competent shoop and have them check it out.

Thanks,
Charley
If they sent it out with the wheel off center you do need a mew shop. Mine has not moved for years and I check it. Being off track the last 2 + years it really hasn't moved :o:o
Old 03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Shiels
If they sent it out with the wheel off center you do need a mew shop. Mine has not moved for years and I check it. Being off track the last 2 + years it really hasn't moved :o:o

It was on center when I left the shop...but then after several autocrosses and several HPDE's it is now off center and pulls slightly. But, it doesn't seem like it should be moving like this.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Have you tried the Pfadt Alignment kit for the front? It does away with eccentrics.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
Have you tried the Pfadt Alignment kit for the front? It does away with eccentrics.

Holy cow, is that how the kit ships?! Might want to call Aaron and tell him to send you bolts that are the proper length, there isn't enough thread sticking out of the nut.

Is he still shipping the bolts as a downgrade from OE? Might want to have him attend to that while hes at it.

Get notified of new replies

To How often do you need to re-align your car??

Quick Reply: How often do you need to re-align your car??