Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z: padlets or 1-piece pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default C6Z: padlets or 1-piece pads?

This is for a spirited street car, but you guys are the brake experts so I hope you'll excuse me asking here.

To put usage in perspective, I wore out stock front brakes on my '09Z in 24k miles. This was on a couple of sets of pure street tires, but when it comes out of the shop I'm probably going to change to MPSCs or similar to get it to hook up.

Time for new rotors & pads, and I can't afford the full BBK I would like. I'm going to use a quality aftermarket rotor and a street/autocross pad, but I'm a little stumped on one question: use one of the 1-piece pad solutions, or stick with the padlet design?

Your input is appreciated.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:12 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the street you are not going to need 1 piece pads. I would go with the less expensive option and I believe 1 piece pads are more expensive. At the track my padlets do OK but wear unevenly. The car still stops really well. The padlets will provide enough clamping power to overcome whenever street tire you have on anyway.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Good street padlets. A track pad will be too cool on the street and require high pedal effort to stop the car.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:35 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Carbotech one peice street pad (Bobcat compound). It is a street/auto-x pad and works better than OEM and dusts much less. I prefer it simply because it was easier to change back and forth from race to street compound (I also ran their one peice racing pad). I found the paddlets too fustrating at any cost to deal with.

If you only are going to run one type of brake pad, the paddlets are cheaper, but are a real PITA to change and for the extra couple bucks prefer the single piece. But don't expect ANY performance gain (especially on the street).

I personally recommend Carbotech Bobcat compound (paddlet or one piece) for spirited street driving (low noise, low dust and better bite than OEM).
Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I would use the one piece pad. More pad surface, even wear and get a quality rotor like dba 4000.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z: padlets or 1-piece pads?

Quick Reply: C6Z: padlets or 1-piece pads?