Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Z51 Rotor and Track Questions !

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 06 Z51 Rotor and Track Questions !

Few questions :

#1 I am about ready for new rotors on the C6 Z51. I know Baer makes replacement rotors all around for abt 1k. I did also notice all the AC DELCO rotors floating around with various venders for under $400 a set. I participate in HPDE atleast once every 2 months. The stock rotor capabilities work fine for me as I have a stock motor. Are the AC DELCO rotors factory replacement that should be able to stand up to track use? Obviously the Baer rotors are better but I dont want to have to plunk down 1k everytime I need new rotors which should be often.

Do you change your oil after every track event? For example - I changed it on 3/20 right BEFORE the last event and am planning on heading to WSIR this saturday, Should I change it again before I hit the track? How long do you track junkies wait before changing the oil?

Thanks !
Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Are the Delco's actually C6 Z51 size? Or are they base model? I "downgraded" to the base caliper brackets to run the cheap C5/C6 base NAPA rotors.

2. I certainly don't do it every event. You might try sending it to Blackstone Labs or whatever for analysis and gauge when to change it by how it looks to them.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I change oil every 2-3 events.

DBA makes rotors in Z51 sizes, both 4000 and 5000 series, I believe
Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkmccready
1. Are the Delco's actually C6 Z51 size? Or are they base model? I "downgraded" to the base caliper brackets to run the cheap C5/C6 base NAPA rotors.

2. I certainly don't do it every event. You might try sending it to Blackstone Labs or whatever for analysis and gauge when to change it by how it looks to them.
They are Z51 rotors
Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by longdaddy
I change oil every 2-3 events.

DBA makes rotors in Z51 sizes, both 4000 and 5000 series, I believe

Are the DBA or AC DELCO supposed to be oem replacements? Have you used either on the track? Thanks Guys !
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

DBA 4000 and 5000 series are performance/race rotors, not OEM replacements. DBA does produce OEM replacement rotors in C5 sizes, I have no idea if they have C6 Z51 ones. I got mine from knsbrakes.com (supporting vendor who was extremely helpful and nice to deal with) - you might want to chat with him if you are interested in DBA rotors.

I run 5000 for track duty, these are 2-piece rotors, one of the most affordable ones out there but still completely different price range than OEM replacements.

AC Delcos are likely OEM replacement ones.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks Mr. Long Daddy !

Any one else have experience with the AC Delcos?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Is there a benefit to getting DBA 4000 or 5000 rotors for the track? Do they last any longer.....or slow you faster? I am at the point where I need new rotors also.

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 03-11-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had ordered and recieved a set of rotora Z51 OEMs

they are New in Box and are for sale
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...nt-rotors.html
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Is there a benefit to getting DBA 4000 or 5000 rotors for the track? Do they last any longer.....or slow you faster? I am at the point where I need new rotors also.
longevity mostly. If you are at a point where you are cracking OEM rotors in 2-3 days, higher quality rotors will give you more driving time between replacements.

Big issue for C5 and base C6 rotors, Z51 probably does a little better as the rotors are bigger and can absorb more heat.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

longevity mostly. If you are at a point where you are cracking OEM rotors in 2-3 days, higher quality rotors will give you more driving time between replacements.

Big issue for C5 and base C6 rotors, Z51 probably does a little better as the rotors are bigger and can absorb more heat.
I am thinking about the 4000's for my C6 Z51. My current rotors are cracking from the drilled holes....So I thought the slotted rotors might last a little longer because they have fewer stress consentrations then the drilled rotors. Is this correct?

The only issue I see with the 4000s is that they are ~50% more expensive then stock rotors....I wonder if the will last >50% longer?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I am thinking about the 4000's for my C6 Z51. My current rotors are cracking from the drilled holes....So I thought the slotted rotors might last a little longer because they have fewer stress consentrations then the drilled rotors. Is this correct?

The only issue I see with the 4000s is that they are ~50% more expensive then stock rotors....I wonder if the will last >50% longer?
Ah yes z51s are drilled. Going to slotted or blank should help a lot. 50% increase in longevity is not unreasonable. I am getting about 2-3 times longer life out of 5000 compared to oem replacements on a c5
Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an '06 Z51. I replaced my original rotors after their second track day, because they were already developing cracks connecting the drilled holes. I put on a set of DBA 4000s, and I've got 5 or 6 track days on them without any serious cracking yet.

The DBA 4000 rotors are more expensive, but they last much longer. This vendor has very good prices on DBA rotors.
Darin U Performance

Last edited by bobmoore2; 03-12-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of the track hos I've talked to at the track with C6's as menchioned above, have have change to the C5 caliper bracket using their C6 caliper, as it is the same and gone to the C5 NAPA or other C5 rotor as they consider them as disposible parts just like the Brake pads.

You can spend more, but if you use your brakes, its just a matter of time before they crack!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is too funny - mostly hearsay and speculation - and I totally disagree.

The C6 Z51 OEM rotor is better than anything you can replace it with ... especially with the stupid $1000 stuff or the $140 DBA 4000's! It is thicker and the inside doesn't crack bad because it is a full mm thicker.

These rotors can be run a very long time after the small small cracks show up which are meaningless. They will last at least 3-5 times longer than a C5 rotor and I do not think this new slotted DBA 4000 rotor will outlast it, usable life, either.

Chris Ingles runs the OEM rotor and after looking at his I figured out that I had been throwing out perfectly serviceable rotors because of these cracks and my stupidity. When I can out brake or outrun him I will consider "upgrading" ... Not in my lifetime and until then I'd stick with the OEM and call it a day.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
C6 4 AL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake rotors

I disagree, I found the DBA 4000 to be a great rotor. In fact, I have a set that are like new, look great and work great, they are for sale for $300. I replaced my Z51 brakes with Z06 after I changed wheels so I no longer need these rotors. I have pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:48 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl

The C6 Z51 OEM rotor is better than anything you can replace it with ... especially with the stupid $1000 stuff or the $140 DBA 4000's! It is thicker and the inside doesn't crack bad because it is a full mm thicker.

These rotors can be run a very long time after the small small cracks show up which are meaningless. They will last at least 3-5 times longer than a C5 rotor and I do not think this new slotted DBA 4000 rotor will outlast it, usable life, either.

Chris Ingles runs the OEM rotor and after looking at his I figured out that I had been throwing out perfectly serviceable rotors because of these cracks and my stupidity. When I can out brake or outrun him I will consider "upgrading" ... Not in my lifetime and until then I'd stick with the OEM and call it a day.
I couldn't agree more! Gene will sell you replacement OEM front Z51rotors for a percentage of the cost of aftermarket. You can also get used rotors as take-offs on this forum. Lot's of people "upgrade" to different set-ups. I have seven track days on my last set and the cracks have yet to reach the outer edge.

The oil change question: I change my oil after the 6th track day. I also change it at the end of the season so what is sitting in there is fresh. I see around 295 degrees with Mobile one. If I had a bigger cooler and didn't have this high a temp I would change it less.

Get notified of new replies

To 06 Z51 Rotor and Track Questions !

Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbl

Thank you sir. I was hoping some one with some track experience would chime in. That is exactly what I wanted to hear
Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MartyZ51
I couldn't agree more! Gene will sell you replacement OEM front Z51rotors for a percentage of the cost of aftermarket. You can also get used rotors as take-offs on this forum. Lot's of people "upgrade" to different set-ups. I have seven track days on my last set and the cracks have yet to reach the outer edge.

The oil change question: I change my oil after the 6th track day. I also change it at the end of the season so what is sitting in there is fresh. I see around 295 degrees with Mobile one. If I had a bigger cooler and didn't have this high a temp I would change it less.
Excellent thanks for the information. My oil temps are only seeing 270 but the summer is yet to come
Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richor
Thank you sir. I was hoping some one with some track experience would chime in. That is exactly what I wanted to hear
And my 10 years of track experience doesn't count?!

Although I agree that you don't need to replace your rotors until a medium size crack reaches the outer edge, I still think the DBA 4000s are a good investment. They crack a little less and cool themselves a lot better than the cheap OEM rotors. Have you noticed that the cooling vanes are backwards on one side with the OEM and Centric slotted & drilled rotors? That side can't be cooling very well.

Quick Reply: 06 Z51 Rotor and Track Questions !