Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety checks for your brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

Default Safety checks for your brakes?

Several years back while inspecting the car after a session I noticed brake fluid at the back of the master cylinder. I looked into this and the seals can leak fluid out the back. An easy test is to pump the pedal then hold it down for a minute. It should not drop! You can do this between sessions it's so easy. (This works for the C4 system, I'm not sure what it will all cover. Check your factory service manual.)

Are there any other simple tests that are good for safety and brakes?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

after i bleed the brakes and close the bleeders, I wipe the caliper, place a paper towel under it and stand on the pedal for about a minute, just as you described. Just to catch any leaks in fittings/bleeder screws. Actually caught a leak in one of the rear caliper fittings this way once.

Unfortunately some leaks will not manifest until the system is hot, so another good thing to do is to walk around the car after it comes off the track and look for fluid traces on the wheels and calipers.

Quick Reply: Safety checks for your brakes?