Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer modding

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer modding

Last weekend the deep freeze of the area subsided and I did a little trailer modding I installed a little E-track, for a tire/bed rack and my tool chest

I measured twice because I was shocked to see just how low my car was. But she fits under the racks with no problems at all. The racks up front are for my tool chest, that actually rolls in and out of the trailer with no problems. My goal is to be able to carry 2 sets of wheels/tires and have a place to sleep, with the car in the trailer.

Next on the list, is a breaker box... anyone know where i good 30-50amp RV breaker box can be found?

Last edited by spazegun2213; 03-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good!
Got a question. What are you going to put on those wood 2x4's? You might want to use aluminum 4x4 decking bars instead.
I truck for a living and have worked/loaded trailers all my life. We used that set-up with wooded 2x4's years ago when I loaded and decked furniture over cars. The company eventually went to a metal 2x4 bar that bolted into the wall sockets you already have.

Later,
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZO6NTHEWIND
Looks good!
Got a question. What are you going to put on those wood 2x4's? You might want to use aluminum 4x4 decking bars instead.
I truck for a living and have worked/loaded trailers all my life. We used that set-up with wooded 2x4's years ago when I loaded and decked furniture over cars. The company eventually went to a metal 2x4 bar that bolted into the wall sockets you already have.

Later,
Honestly, tires, and some plywood to throw a bed on.

I've looked at the metal 2x4's and at the moment they were not in the budget (being $80+ a piece with astronomical shipping costs) I know a few people using them and they LOVE them. However, I think for the ~200 total lbs between them I'm hoping the 2x4's will be fine for a while.

I might end up adding some cross bracing if i see them start to warp in any way.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Ross,

How tall is your trailer on the inside? Make sure there's enough room from the top of the 2X4's to the top of the ceiling to fit the tires in there. When I first put my shoring beams in my trailer, I hadn't left enough room under them to get my tool box under it, and had to move them higher.

Then I discovered I had set them too high and the tires wouldn't in so I had to lower it a bit so the tires would go in. The inside of mine is 6'6".
Old 03-10-2010, 02:04 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

"shoring beams" are only around $45 each. I have 3 of them, and use them to make 2 rows of tires. I have just enough room to drive the car under them, and still get the tires in and out.

UScargocontrol.com has them, and shipping (for 3) is only $30 ($15 for 1). 3 of them only weight 57lbs, so I think they are likely only a bit heavier than wood, and much stronger.

I would also note that if that is where you park the car in the trailer, getting in/out of your window will be difficult when it's full of tires.

Last edited by davidfarmer; 03-10-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try an RV parts store or electric contractor's supply for your breaker-box. Doubtful a local hardware or Lowes/Home Depot would have them.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:20 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Ross,

Trailer mods are cool and all, but they are only effective if you actually GO to the track. Otherwise, all this is is some glorified "hard parking".
Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Falcon
Hey Ross,

How tall is your trailer on the inside? Make sure there's enough room from the top of the 2X4's to the top of the ceiling to fit the tires in there. When I first put my shoring beams in my trailer, I hadn't left enough room under them to get my tool box under it, and had to move them higher.

Then I discovered I had set them too high and the tires wouldn't in so I had to lower it a bit so the tires would go in. The inside of mine is 6'6".
Jody, I measured everything like 6 times, and the only "problem" is the 2 tires closest to the sides of the trailer need to be moved in a little so they can come out. My trailer as a domed top, and there is plenty of room in the center to move them in and out. I thought about that just before i started mounting them, and was like "wait... how tall are my tires?"

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
"shoring beams" are only around $45 each. I have 3 of them, and use them to make 2 rows of tires. I have just enough room to drive the car under them, and still get the tires in and out.

UScargocontrol.com has them, and shipping (for 3) is only $30 ($15 for 1). 3 of them only weight 57lbs, so I think they are likely only a bit heavier than wood, and much stronger.

I would also note that if that is where you park the car in the trailer, getting in/out of your window will be difficult when it's full of tires.

$45 each is much better than what I've found, I'll look them up for sure!

As for the tires and getting in and out, yup, I'll have space blocked off so i can get in/out with no problems. I also need to mount a car stop, so i can park the car in the same spot every time.

Originally Posted by magnetic1
Ross,

Trailer mods are cool and all, but they are only effective if you actually GO to the track. Otherwise, all this is is some glorified "hard parking".
Eric, I wish i "worked" as much as you so i could go to the track all the time nah, this is going to be a rough year for me time wise, but I'll be out there.. sometime!

I cant wait to see where you are going once your bimmah is gone. GL!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a 2x4 bolted to the floor. I then attach my front straps (I keep them at a fixed length), then roll the car back to tighten them. I use the rears to secure everything, and never change the front straps. I like the car in the same spot, and this is the system I've used for 12 years
Old 03-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
I cant wait to see where you are going once your bimmah is gone. GL!
Whoaa, right there! What's up with the Bimmah, Eric?

Last edited by Falcon; 03-10-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:18 PM
bearnest
Pro

2x4 will work fine I have them in my trailer also. You can also run them across the back and lay the tires down instead of uprite. I will try to take some pic's this weekend of my trailer.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bearnest
2x4 will work fine I have them in my trailer also. You can also run them across the back and lay the tires down instead of uprite. I will try to take some pic's this weekend of my trailer.
I'd love some of peoples setup!

David, did you just wood screw a 2x4 to the trailer?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Ross,

You can get the garage stops at Lowes for < $10. They are made of plastic and have 2 bumps on them that create a cradle for the front tire. When you roll over the first one, the car settles into the cradle, and you know you're centered. It has double sided tape on its bottm and can stick anywhere and is movable.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 AM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Falcon
Whoaa, right there! What's up with the Bimmah, Eric?
It's up for sale at the moment. I need more powah!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1413365

Last edited by magnetic1; 03-11-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

my floor is aluminum, so I just screwed a block to the floor using a sheet-metal screw. I do trip over it occasional went he car is unloaded..................

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer modding

Quick Reply: Trailer modding