Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any HPDE Road racers run autos? What ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Any HPDE Road racers run autos? What ATF?

Just built my 4L60 back up and while I wait for the last part to come in to reinstall, I thought I would ask what ATF you guys would recommend. I will mostly be autocrossing in my 93, with 2800 stall and 3.75 gears. I have a B&M stacked cooler and BeCool with integral cooler to it, with 7 rows, so it should run below 200 degrees, I hope.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

any good synthetic will do.

Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, M1.

also add synthetic gear oil with anti splip to the diff
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I run Mobil 1 in mine. Keeping it cool is the challenge. I'm still looking for better ideas to lower my trans temps.

Ken
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by bb69
I run Mobil 1 in mine. Keeping it cool is the challenge. I'm still looking for better ideas to lower my trans temps.

Ken
BIG cooler with fan, or a minature air to water cooler.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
Just built my 4L60 back up and while I wait for the last part to come in to reinstall, I thought I would ask what ATF you guys would recommend. I will mostly be autocrossing in my 93, with 2800 stall and 3.75 gears. I have a B&M stacked cooler and BeCool with integral cooler to it, with 7 rows, so it should run below 200 degrees, I hope.
I think Amsoil is a little better. I thought I had heard that w/other fluids the M6 cars get overtemp warnings but not w/Amsoil.

BTW, what happened to the trans? I know from years ago your car is pulling a lot of power, was that the original?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I think Amsoil is a little better. I thought I had heard that w/other fluids the M6 cars get overtemp warnings but not w/Amsoil.

BTW, what happened to the trans? I know from years ago your car is pulling a lot of power, was that the original?
Burnt the forward clutches, real strange according to Pete. There were a few things wrong, but no real smoking gun. Same engine though, 396LT1 putting 425 to the tires.
I may do AMSOIL ATF. Some say stick with Dino, but Dex III hasnt been licensed since 2003. I think I am nuking this out. Just get AMSOIL and move on.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Based on the make up....Dex 6 is all about gas mileage & not as good as Dex 3 was.........so I run AMSOIL Torque-Drive® Synthetic in my 97' w/ 3.90 & 4000 stall.........about 500 at the wheels with 2 coolers and WOT at every track for my 25 minutes each session.....
I still run mine through the radiator as I drive it on the street in the winter...last time at VIR got up to 275 temp, but hey, it was over 90 degrees and my foot to da floor. Tranny did fine (I think Danny P would agree ), so you should be good autoxing. I have talked with Rossler about the Synth, he's fine with it and after the rear took out my main shaft last year I had him look at the guts, he gave Torque-Drive a
Good luck
Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife's car is an A4 C5. She tracks it, and is on sticky tires, turning respectable times at the tracks we run. She got into heat issues as soon as she started getting fast.

I bought and installed a B&M cooler and a deeper transmission pan. The pan added a couple of quarts capacity, for more thermal mass, and the pan has a drain plug! No need to pull the whole thing anymore. Also, the cooler is in series with the existing cooler in the radiator. Seems to be working fine so far, with temps well below the line. We'll see this summer if it's for real. The Texas summer is a decent test of cooling equipment.

Get notified of new replies

To Any HPDE Road racers run autos? What ATF?

Quick Reply: Any HPDE Road racers run autos? What ATF?