Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam Neck Collar

Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Foam Neck Collar

I'll start by saying I know a HANS would be the best choice. Having said that my car has yet to turn a wheel on a track (Curse this raining every weekend) and when it does I am likely to be some time at level 1 or 2 of HPDE events. I am considering a foam collar as some claim it reduces neck fatigue. I consider it less of a safety device and more of a comfort aid.

Anyone here use a foam horse collar, or have used a foam collar? Interested if you think it helps, doesn't help, etc.

Thanks

Art
Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

They really do help support the neck. You need one if you are going to spend a lot of time on a tight race course. A number of years ago I ran an event on the Pocono North Course. After close to 5 hours of track time I hurt from the hands all the way to the base of the skull. It was all I could do to drive the 2 hours back home. The next year I had Simpson collar and didn't have the pain anymore.

Bill
Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one when I was dirt racing to try out. I put it on got strapped in and by the time it came for me to get on the track I pulled it off and threw it out the window. I just couldn't stand it around my neck. It's not going to act as a head and neck restraint at all. A good full face helmet will help with forward movement of your head.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
R Mackow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a collar but no Hans device. A friend had clipped a wall a couple of years ago and the lower edge of the helmet hit a collar bone and severely bruised it.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started using a Simpson collar and besides safety it helps keep your head up in the correct position. I now use both a Hans and a collar.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by grantar2
I'll start by saying I know a HANS would be the best choice. Having said that my car has yet to turn a wheel on a track (Curse this raining every weekend) and when it does I am likely to be some time at level 1 or 2 of HPDE events. I am considering a foam collar as some claim it reduces neck fatigue. I consider it less of a safety device and more of a comfort aid.

Anyone here use a foam horse collar, or have used a foam collar? Interested if you think it helps, doesn't help, etc.

Thanks

Art
One I first started HPDE I didn't have one and after a weekend my neck was sore. I bought one a few years ago and after my first event I was sold. It does reduce my neck fatigue - sometimes you'll see me in the paddock without my helmet and I'll be wearing it.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

They definitely help with neck strain. Think that the head weighs approx 15 lbs and a helmet 3 lbs or so depending on variety. A lot for the neck muscles to support in high G track situations. The foam collars are NOT a safety device - comfort only.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Anybody who uses a foam neck collar have a brand they didn't like. Or a Brand they prefer and the reason?

Thanks
Again
Old 03-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

I use one and like others above found that it helps my neck fatigue. I specifically picked a Simpson model that had a fire rating. The cost wasn't much more.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grantar2
Anybody who uses a foam neck collar have a brand they didn't like. Or a Brand they prefer and the reason?

Thanks
Again
I purchased the Sparco and it has help with getting the strain off my neck
Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I use one every session and also dont feel neck fatigue. They are cheap so why not.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have one and you can buy it very cheaply and pay PayPal fee. I now use a Hans. Believe it is a Simpson, will have to check the shop tomorrow. It may still be in the plastic bag.

If you are interested, respond to eogel@nc.rr.com

Ed
Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Default e-mail sent

Originally Posted by eogel
I have one and you can buy it very cheaply and pay PayPal fee. I now use a Hans. Believe it is a Simpson, will have to check the shop tomorrow. It may still be in the plastic bag.

If you are interested, respond to eogel@nc.rr.com

Ed
e-mail sent

Get notified of new replies

To Foam Neck Collar

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Foam Neck Collar