Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's how the forum can give back and thank Frank Gonzalez

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Here's how the forum can give back and thank Frank Gonzalez

Dear Forum Members,

As you are all aware we lost a very good friend to the Forum and Corvette community, Frank Gonzalez. All of your recent posts have shown just how dear and helpful he was, whether you met him or not. I have spoken with Frank's wife several times and directed her to the forum posts where she read everybody's kind and well deserved comments about her husband. She was quite touched and although our words cannot bring Frank back, we surely can do our part to make sure he is not forgotten.

I spoke with her about a fund that could be set up in Frank's memory at the National Corvette Museum (NCM). She said there could not be a better place preferred for donations to go and was elated about the idea. As of today, I set up the Frank Gonzalez Fund with the assistance of Roc Linkov and Adam Boca. Our goal is to raise enough money to purchase a bench, $5,000. If we fall short, a 1/2 bench could be an option, but let's think big.

You may contact Megan Meredith at the NCM to contribute by calling:

800.538.3883 and ask to speak with Megan at ext. 136

If you'd prefer to send in a check payable to the National Corvette Museum, just note Frank Gonzalez Fund in the memo and mail to:

Megan Meredith
c/o National Corvette Museum
350 Corvette Dr
Bowling Green, KY 42101

It goes without saying that the past 18 months of economic hardship have taken a toll on most people financially. I also realize there are a many deserving charities including St. Judes that continually need our support. With that in mind, please consider donating whatever you feel comfortable with to Frank's Fund. No amount is too small as pennies make dollars.

I will keep the thread current as the fund grows. This is a chance for all of us to give back.

I personally just made the first contribution to the Frank Gonzalez Fund and urge you all to rally together to help make this happen.

The Gonzalez family thanks you for your consideration and support.

Mike Newlander
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bench? Isn't one there already we could just change the name on?

Seriously, good suggestion thanks for taking the initiative.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Dear Forum Members,

As you are all aware we lost a very good friend to the Forum and Corvette community, Frank Gonzalez. All of your recent posts have shown just how dear and helpful he was, whether you met him or not. I have spoken with Frank's wife several times and directed her to the forum posts where she read everybody's kind and well deserved comments about her husband. She was quite touched and although our words cannot bring Frank back, we surely can do our part to make sure he is not forgotten.

I spoke with her about a fund that could be set up in Frank's memory at the National Corvette Museum (NCM). She said there could not be a better place preferred for donations to go and was elated about the idea. As of today, I set up the Frank Gonzalez Fund with the assistance of Roc Linkov and Adam Boca. Our goal is to raise enough money to purchase a bench, $5,000. If we fall short, a 1/2 bench could be an option, but let's think big.

You may contact Megan Meredith at the NCM to contribute by calling:

800.538.3883 and ask to speak with Megan at ext. 136

If you'd prefer to send in a check payable to the National Corvette Museum, just note Frank Gonzalez Fund in the memo and mail to:

Megan Meredith
c/o National Corvette Museum
350 Corvette Dr
Bowling Green, KY 42101

It goes without saying that the past 18 months of economic hardship have taken a toll on most people financially. I also realize there are a many deserving charities including St. Judes that continually need our support. With that in mind, please consider donating whatever you feel comfortable with to Frank's Fund. No amount is too small as pennies make dollars.

I will keep the thread current as the fund grows. This is a chance for all of us to give back.

I personally just made the first contribution to the Frank Gonzalez Fund and urge you all to rally together to help make this happen.

The Gonzalez family thanks you for your consideration and support.

Mike Newlander
Done
NCM TAKES CCs
Gary

Last edited by C6RAPTOR; 03-02-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I'm in.

Just called Megan! Done

Thanks Mike

Last edited by Glennm27; 03-03-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will call them tomorrow Mike. Thanks for making the effort on Frnk's behalf. A fitting tribute. Ron C5 XTC
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Done.

Thanks for taking point on this Mike, well done.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

I did not see that he passed. I cannot believe it. What happened? I am in complete shock. What a great nice man. Shocked. He was the ultimate gentleman! I mean the best. So sorry I missed this.

Will send a check out tomorrow. Wonderful idea. He would be very happy with this tribute. Still cannnot believe it.

Will say some prayers for his soul and his family.

God Bless him.
-Philip Di Pippo
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I in, will take care of it tomorrow. Frank will be missed by all of us in the Corvette community. I still can't believe we won't see him at TA and VIR. Some how I think he will be there no matter what. JD
Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in also. I'll send the funds out. Great idea Mike.
Steve
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

thanks Mike for taking the time out of your schedule to set this up.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 PM
bluemagoo
Pro

I never met Frank but felt I knew him from his helpful, knowledgable posts on this forum. I had hoped someday I might even get an opportunity to ride with or receive instruction from Frank. I'll call Megan @ NCM tomorrow to make a contribution. Thanks for setting this all up Mike.

Jon
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Philly SCCA has commissioned a yellow circular sticker with a black 97 printed on it. I will provide information on how to get one to place on our cars as soon as they are available.

Thanks,

Steve Landstra
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

We are off to a great start!

Within 24 hours you all have contributed $775!

Thanks for the donations and keep them coming!

Adam Boca
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Frank J. Gonzalez, 68, passed away in his Blue Bell home on Sunday, Feb. 28, 2010 of a heart attack.

A gifted mechanical engineer and talented salesman, Frank worked in the systems control divisions for several area companies over his career including Leeds & Northrup, Moore Products, and Ametek.

Before retiring in 2007, he traveled the world helping friends and customers manufacture everything from concrete to pharmaceuticals.

Frank was a passionate Corvette enthusiast and a nationally-ranked amateur race car driver. He taught as a racing instructor for the National Corvette Museum and served as a board member for the Philadelphia Region of the Sports Car Club of America and the Delaware Valley Corvette Club. To those who knew him on and off the racetrack, Frank was a shrewd competitor, a helpful friend, and a patient mentor.

Frank emigrated from Cuba in 1962 and graduated from Villanova University in 1966.

He is survived by his wife Mary Lou, son Phillip, and sister Rosa.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, March 6, at the Founds Funeral Home, Inc., 229 South High Street, West Chester, 610-696-0134, where friends may call from 10 a.m. until the time of the service.

Memorial donations may be made to The National Corvette Museum, 350 Corvette Drive, Bowling Green, KY 42101.

I'll miss Frank, and his great smile and enthusiasm for racing and helping others. Mary Lou if you need anything please contact me Bill Burkholder (CCDV Board Chairman).

Last edited by Bill Vett; 03-03-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

I had the pleasure of getting to "know" Frank on the forum, but the real pleasure was getting to know him in person. I first met Frank last year at Pocono while there for a PCA DE at the North course. Frank was instructing for Bertil Roos and stopped by to see what was going on and what the lone yellow Z06 was doing out there amongst all those Porsches. Even when he introduced himself it didn't click right away who he was. Needless to say our shared love for yellow Z06s soon caused things to click for me that he was "that" Frank Gonzalez.

Frank ended up instructing (along with Steve) at several of our other PCA DEs through the season so I had several chances to benefit from his knowledge, experience and suggestions.

Just goes to show how short life is and how important it is to make the most out of it.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will contact Megan in the morning. Fantastic idea.......thanks for making this happen.

ADDED: Spoke with Megan this morning.

Last edited by CP Thunder; 03-04-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Great idea. Will call soon to donate

Myself and Frank

Get notified of new replies

To Here's how the forum can give back and thank Frank Gonzalez

Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

thanks for getting this set up, Mike - this will be a very fitting tribute indeed...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We need to make this a sticky!!! Keep this at the top!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Grand Total of the donation received so far is $985....ALMOST 1/5th to the purchase of the whole bench....1/3rd of the way to a half of a bench...

Quick Reply: Here's how the forum can give back and thank Frank Gonzalez