Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing for NASA TTs - C5 vs. Evo vs ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Choosing for NASA TTs - C5 vs. Evo vs ??

I am currently considering a C5 'Vette or a '05 Evo for TTB. I am looking for feedback from anyone that has prepped/driven either, as well as feedback in general. I have read the rules a bit and both are obviously competitive, just looking for things to push me one way or the other. A well used version of each looks to be around $11k. Both have lots of aftermarket support, though the C5 seems to have more higher quality parts (less ricer/show stuff masquerading as track gear). C5 seems to be able to upgrade competitively to TTA without spending as much. Any idea of costs of running each? Anything else (incl other cars) I should be thinking about?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Just saw your post on NASA Board....Where you from? I'm going to guess posting here C5 will be your answer.

Not sure about TTB but in TTA a Corvette won 2 of the last three National Championships but an Evo won the other. It seems that either car is a good choice.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks for the response. I am in Brooklyn.
Both seem like good choices which is part of the problem. I have done some tracking in a WRX (One Lap backup car) but that is a bit different than an Evo.

Things that would sway me:
- upgrade costs to TTA, TTU/S
- like the AWD of Evo - would perhaps make a rainy weekend more bearable
- can fit more stuff in an Evo!
- maint costs/costs to be reliable (e.g. various cooler installs, etc.)
- ??

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with turning a used EVO VIII into a track car have only been initial and somewhat negative. Trying to find the patience to stick with it. My V8 gold chain wearing "friends" (and you know who you are) calling me ricer is amusing though... More amusing when I finally get it running right and kick some tail...

- Access to accurate information. The CF site among others are great sources of information and the Corvette community is very helpful. The EVO crowd is generally younger and everyone has an opinion weather knowledgeable or not. Learning gradually to weed out the fact from fiction is challenging at times.

- Flexibility of power. The EVO can be tuned/modded to run in stock TTB or all the way up to TTU/TTR if you want. I run in TTS but not competitive with all the problems I've been having (but that's a different issue of buying a previously modded car). The flexibility is also the problem as I see it. Numerous turbo packages out there with an array of various engine management systems. Can you have too many choices? With everyone claiming they are the best? I found that running my C5Z (in TTA or TTS depending on mods) in stock form with a tune, some suspension tweaks, and tires gave me better overall reliability and simplicity.

- Maintenance costs. Seems about the same but my rotor/pad wear is not as fast in the EVO. The stock Brembos are great. More moving pieces/parts in an AWD turbo'd car to maintain though. Fluids, hoses, etc. Expect to inspect the turbo system often for leaks.

- Handling. Lots of suspension choices in the EVO. You can run big fat tires on the C5 (335s if you want). In stock form, the EVO can do 255 size tires. It will take rolling fenders or even buying wider fenders to accept 275/285 size tires. I run 275s but had to raise the car a good bit to overcome the rubbing at compression points on the track. Even with 3 degrees negative camber I'm getting outside wear on the fronts. The AWD is very nice but I still need to learn to take advantage there.

I guess you can tell which way I'm leaning but like I said, I want to give it a chance and I think I can get it to where I want it, just how much $$$ do I want to keep putting in it is the question. A lot of it is probably growing pains on a new platform.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
- maint costs/costs to be reliable (e.g. various cooler installs, etc.)

this was my main issue with it, since it was a street car... I nuked a turbo every other track day.. while my C5 has been absolutely bullet proof.

my evo was a little high strung though... made like 520 wheel.

it was cake to drive at a good clip on street tires... went a 42.0 at laguna.

it is a brick aero wise... and does weigh a ton.

i'll always vote for the rock solid LS6.

i just had my clutch pulled out... and it looks practically new.. it has over 20k race miles on it.. and was OEM from the factory.

my motor has been boosted, beaten, over heated, rarely had oil changes and it is still making crate motor numbers.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks.

I have noticed the same about the Evo crowd, though there are some knowledgeable shops (Robispec, Mueller, some others) that have quality suspension bits.
Engine upgrades are a future thing, but I have a bit of experience with turbos so that is not particularly daunting.
The tire situation with the Evo is something that worried me. And the frame/tire/resulting ride height issue. Vette has none of those issues and crazy wide fenders are available from L5 for relatively little (vs. Evo APR). Perhaps custom metal Evo fenders would be a better route, but in any case the rear doors are a pain. Anyway, that is a future issue like the engine mods.
I was leaning towards an Evo but have done a bit of reading here and the wealth of parts/knowledge has pushed me the other way. You don't just buy a car, you are buying into the support system as well.
As someone who has had huge plans/high $$ builds end up as garage queens/part outs (always one more upgrade, hi-perf parts never fit, custom parts never fit, etc. etc.) --- I would like to drive as much as possible and spend $ on track days, tires, fluids, data acquisition, hotels. The C5 seems like the path of least resistance.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:39 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
(and you know who you are)
Yes we do.

I like the base C5 platform for reliability and fexibility in class. You can be "competitive" in TTB or TTA rather easily and (somewhat) inexpensively.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Yes - the classing flexibility is what attracted me to the C5 and Evo. C5 w/tires and upgraded shocks/springs for TTB (and 265s!) or a bit more for TTA (upgrade to Z06 parts (not that pricey) and bigger tires.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

C5 w/tires and upgraded shocks/springs for TTB
There are not enough points for a C5 in TTB for shocks and springs unless you plan on running stock sways and 7 point tires.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:44 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Is the preferred setup to leave in the non-Z51 shocks and swap sways? I was considering 7 point tires. Is the alternative preferred - 10 point tires and modded sways?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is the preferred setup to leave in the non-Z51 shocks and swap sways? I was considering 7 point tires. Is the alternative preferred - 10 point tires and modded sways?
I'd take 10 pt (or 13 pt) tires over hardware anyday

if I was running a TTB C5 (base) I would test first:

17x9 wheels
245/45ZR17 A6 9 pt
C5Z06 sway bars 2 pt
either air box or cat delete 1 pt

that would be 19 pts TTB (running non Z51 shocks and springs)

and use up all the free mods
Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I'd take 10 pt (or 13 pt) tires over hardware anyday

if I was running a TTB C5 (base) I would test first:

17x9 wheels
245/45ZR17 A6 9 pt
C5Z06 sway bars 2 pt
either air box or cat delete 1 pt

that would be 19 pts TTB (running non Z51 shocks and springs)

and use up all the free mods

T1 bars too much for that setup?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:31 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sperkins
T1 bars too much for that setup?
I dunno, they may do well. I would just start with something a little softer

but for sure I would try it. not much roll stiffness with those base springs
Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

While we are on it - here is my list of applicable/worthwhile (points) free mods for (a higher mileage) C5. My plan would be to buy a cheap high-mileage C5 (FRC is more desired for tracking?) and then replace the stock parts per below:

- engine/tranny/diff oil cooler
- accusump
- brake ducting
- brake pads
- brake lines
- brake/clutch/tranny/diff fluid
- upgraded hubs/bearings (fancy SKF)
- new oem shocks/springs
- alignment
- poly/delrin suspension bushings (incl hardbar delrin upper shock mount, DRM steering rack)
- c6z shifter upgrade
- 5/6 pt harness
- data acq/video
- relocate battery
- tune
- lexan! (assume weight is not an issue so not needed, small gain in weight distrib. not worth the pain)
- A/C delete (same as above)
- spare tire/jack delete
- ride height adjust
- light flywheel
- catch can
- tie rod ends/ball joints
- new rings/bearings/oil pump/water pump/crank seals
- TR55 plugs, GMPP/MSD wires
- airflow mods to increase radiator airflow
- DRM chassis stiffener?

(thanks to Zenak for this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html)

Last edited by RX-Ben; 02-26-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The turbo cars are great cheater cars and the officials just don't have the resources or knowledge to tech them properly.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:52 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

IMO, a C5 with stock-ish suspension, 7 point tires and no other real mods is going to get smoked in TTB.

What kind of laptimes are TTB C5s running at VIR and Road Atlanta?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:58 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by magnetic1
What kind of laptimes are TTB C5s running at VIR and Road Atlanta?
I don't think I've ever seen a TTB C5 run

Get notified of new replies

To Choosing for NASA TTs - C5 vs. Evo vs ??

Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To my knowledge the FRC's are all Z51's making it a TTA car.

I would choose the C5. The support is better, there are probably more C5's at the track to lend a hand, a part, or advice.

The cheater cars will be found at nationals.

The cost of running either depends on your driving and laps run. In general a well maintained C5 only needs brake pads, rotors, tires, and fluids. This is during the season. A set of wheel bearings every year or two. The steering rack will need a rebuild at some point in time, make sure you have a cooler. Tie rod ends the replacement varies, I've seen a a couple years and I had a new rear set go at nationals.

If you do an all wheel drive car a WRX STi is a better choice than the EVO.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:02 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 6SPEEDZ
To my knowledge the FRC's are all Z51's making it a TTA car.
True, but you can remove Z51 parts from a FRC and run it in TTB.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm still figuring out how my TTB c4 works, but I ran 2 min flat on 275 street tires at Road Atl in Dec. I'm looking for 1:50 ish in March with R6 tires. I'm over weight and haven't maximized the 0 point mods - yet.

IIRC TTA was 1:40+ or maybe 1:38 - Jason what did you run??? I forget

Quick Reply: Choosing for NASA TTs - C5 vs. Evo vs ??