Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Number 23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher Questions

just bought a brey krause fire extinguisher bar and was wondering what type( I assume ABC extinguisher) of extinguisher to get and where from? What did you guys pay for yours? I found on an average price of somewhere from 44.95 up to 170.00 for 2.5lbs

I found one site ww.OGracing.com

was wondering also should I spend the money on a Halotron fire extinguisher or not?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
johninar
Drifting

I got a Halotron at a local jobber for around 85$. I would not want to use a ABC dry chemical on my car.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM
02Z06clark
Instructor

I got my extinguisher from Uline , came with every thing to mount to brey krause mounting bracket.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
I got a Halotron at a local jobber for around 85$. I would not want to use a ABC dry chemical on my car.
I did the same. If I need to use it, there will not be collateral damage to the car from the extinguishing material
Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If your OK with regular "dry chemical" type

normally use a 1A 10BC type for these brackets. 2.5 lb. units

Get one with a metal mounting bracket and metal hold down strap (not plastic crap from big box stores)

Fastenal Company carries them if you have a local store near you.

List price is like $30.60 comes with metal bracket and strap for automotive mounting. That is what mounts to your bracket you already bought.

Halon and Haltron type can be had here--> Speed Direct
Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Thanks for that info. Jerry
Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I just purchased a Vetteworks fire extinguisher bracket that mounts to the front of the passenger seat rails. Now I'm shopping around for a good fire extinguisher myself. I'm leaning toward two types, Amerex Halotron 1 or Amerex Halon 1211. They seem to be the best from all I can determine so far. Halon 1211 the best of these two. I'm just trying to find them at the best price now, they are expensive, anywhere from $143 to $198 for 2.5 LB extinguisher. Halon 1211 being the most expensive and of course if you get chrome it more expensive than just red. $143 is for a red Halotron 1 (2.5lb) and the $198 is for a chrome Halon 1211 (2.5lb) extinguisher. These prices were at just one place I've found them so far. Does anyone know where these type of extinguishers can be gotten at a better price.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The BK bracket works best with an Amerex extinguisher. Make sure you get an extinguisher bracket that has two clamps to hold the extinguisher and get an extinguisher that has a glass/metal gauge. The plastic gauged units are not refillable and not as good. I got mine from a local fireman who sells extinguishers on the side. Price was very reasonable compared to the prices the various web sites were asking for the same unit. He even put a current inspection tag on the unit. I can get him to inspect it when it is due for its next inspection.

Bill
Old 03-01-2010, 02:58 AM
errance
Pro

My first reaction was to go with Halon and Halotron, since they are less messy and make for an easier clean-up. Besides, more expensive means better, right?

I then discussed the topic with my county's fire marshal, and he recommended against it. These materials are toxic, and the last thing you want to worry about when fighting a fire in an enclosed space is poisonous gas. Besides, if you've got a fire, car clean up is the least of your worries.

For those reasons, he recommended good old ABC.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by errance
My first reaction was to go with Halon and Halotron, since they are less messy and make for an easier clean-up. Besides, more expensive means better, right?

I then discussed the topic with my county's fire marshal, and he recommended against it. These materials are toxic, and the last thing you want to worry about when fighting a fire in an enclosed space is poisonous gas. Besides, if you've got a fire, car clean up is the least of your worries.

Yes, but when fighting a car fire one would normally not be in an enclosed space. Even if there is a fire inside the car, I will be stopping and getting out, then spray into the car. I will not stay in car and spray. I could understand the logic if one was fighting a fire inside a building, house or garage etc. I do have ABC extinguishers in my house and garage.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:21 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1C5
Yes, but when fighting a car fire one would normally not be in an enclosed space. Even if there is a fire inside the car, I will be stopping and getting out, then spray into the car. I will not stay in car and spray. I could understand the logic if one was fighting a fire inside a building, house or garage etc. I do have ABC extinguishers in my house and garage.
I'm just an old fart with over 30+ years of racing experience so YMMV, but IMHO the purpose of an in-cockpit fire extinguisher is to provide fire suppression inside the cockpit while the driver is extracted/exiting the vehicle after a crash. If you want to fight a vehicular fire, an on-board fire suppression system works best. (Check out the February 2010 issue of Sportscar from the SCCA to learn more about available on-board systems.)
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
I'm just an old fart with over 30+ years of racing experience so YMMV, but IMHO the purpose of an in-cockpit fire extinguisher is to provide fire suppression inside the cockpit while the driver is extracted/exiting the vehicle after a crash. If you want to fight a vehicular fire, an on-board fire suppression system works best. (Check out the February 2010 issue of Sportscar from the SCCA to learn more about available on-board systems.)
but my car is mostly a street car with a max of only about 4 HPDE's a year, so far. I don't even have a harness system yet. It's driven on the street mostly. An on-board fire suppression system would be a little over the top for me. I agree that would be the best way to go for overall safety.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by errance

Halon and Halotron will be fine for outdoor use. Halon 1211 used to be the standard material for computer room fire systems. It could be dumped with people in a computer room. As long as they didn't stay in the 1211 environment for over 5 minutes, it wouldn't hurt them to breathe it. Most computer rooms have doors that go over vents and automatic door closers that close all doors when a Halon 1211 system is activated.

I would go with a Halotron extinguisher. It works on all types of fires and works faster than dry chemical. The dry chemical powder is a PITA to clean up and the stuff gets everywhere. Get a fire along the engine compartment firewall and it's easy to get the dust into the HVAC system. Turn the heater fan on weeks later and you can get another dusting of that crap.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I would go with a Halotron extinguisher. It works on all types of fires and works faster than dry chemical. The dry chemical powder is a PITA to clean up and the stuff gets everywhere. Get a fire along the engine compartment firewall and it's easy to get the dust into the HVAC system. Turn the heater fan on weeks later and you can get another dusting of that crap.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I use the Safecraft 2.5lb halon fire extinguisher with the Brey-Krause bracket.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First, if your car is on fire - run! Use the FE inside only if absolutely necessary to get out. A small bottle, regardless of the chemicals, won't put out much of a fire. Maybe a small wiring fire, etc.

This is the Halon unit we have in both cars. Meets minimum requirements of NCCC and some other organizations.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro....asp?RecId=439
Old 03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Great Mount for Roll Bar

I forgot to include this - the mount we use for the FE on the roll bar.

http://www.fourtreks.com/modular_fir...her_mount.html

Get notified of new replies

To Fire Extinguisher Questions

Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Number 23
Instructor

well finally got my fire extinguisher. Cost me $119.00 2.5lb Amerex Halotron fire extinguisher.

Also got my Harness bar as well.

Also thank you everyone for your input on this situation.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I hate fire bottles inside the car. They can break loose and kill you. If they require one at tech I make sure it's removed before I go out on track. My fire scenario is very basic - exit the car and then run like h*ll. The car is going to burn to the ground. Good riddens.

A fire supression system where you can get the bottle our of the driver's compartment is ok. I just don't want one of those Ace hardware, Pegasus extinguishers clamped to the floor with some flimsy off-shore bracket. No thank you. The car is gonna burn. I'm gone.

Richard Newton
My Facebook Account
My Speed Blog
Twittter
Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Number 23
well finally got my fire extinguisher. Cost me $119.00 2.5lb Amerex Halotron fire extinguisher.

Also got my Harness bar as well.

Also thank you everyone for your input on this situation.
That sounds like a good price for a Halatron Extinguisher. Can you share where you found it at that price? Thanks. I'm looking and shopping for a Halatron myself.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Questions