Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Sway Bar Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Sway Bar Upgrade

OK, want to upgrade the front sway bar on my 04 Z06, need to be legal for SCCA SS class.

Can anyone point me to a vendor or a make of bar that they have had good luck with?

Do I need to replace the end links? The stock links have only 9K miles?

Is it worth getting adjustable end links if I'm making no changes to the rear?

Thanks, I'm new to the sway bar thing!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Why?

The stock front bar on an 04 Z results in a pretty well balanced car.

I tried increasing the stiffness of the front bar with poly bushings and it made it push. If you are going softer and think the car pushes too much now, I can understand it, or if you have some burning desire to have an adjustable front bar, go for it, but don't assume that stiffening the front end is going to make the car faster. I've found that you can get more front end roll stiffness than you need with a set of poly bushings, and a bigger bar would be overkill and make the car push like a pig.

Better to spend your money on shocks...

At least one adjustable end link is required on the fron bar to properly cornerweight the car.

JMHO...
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solofast, good points.

I've already done the shock upgrade to adjustable Koni's, that helped quite a bit, I especially felt the car behaved better in fast slaloms and transitions, didn't notice too much difference in sweepers and other general turns.

I agree that the stock car and witht he shock upgrade is very good. I just thought I might be able to get the car to turn more aggressively with the front bar upgrade. But I could also probably get a bit more from a more aggressive alignment. I don't remember my alignment specs but on a 1-10 scale with 1 being stock I believe I'm about a 4-5.

I really don't plan to play with the bar adjustment much I figured to set it to the current length of the stock setup and leaving it, maybe at some point try to get the corner weights equal. I think any too many small adjustment on all these things will be countered by the nut behind the wheel.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

I've found that you can get enough "tuneability" by using bushings and preload on the front bar, and that going to a bigger bar is too much.

A more aggreassive alignment is really necessary to get the most out of these cars, so before you go playing with bars you probably should max out the alignment in the front, go to -1.5 or therabouts in the back and see where you are.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
The stock front bar on an 04 Z results in a pretty well balanced car.

I tried increasing the stiffness of the front bar with poly bushings and it made it push. If you are going softer and think the car pushes too much now, I can understand it, or if you have some burning desire to have an adjustable front bar, go for it, but don't assume that stiffening the front end is going to make the car faster. I've found that you can get more front end roll stiffness than you need with a set of poly bushings, and a bigger bar would be overkill and make the car push like a pig.

Better to spend your money on shocks...

At least one adjustable end link is required on the fron bar to properly cornerweight the car.

JMHO...
why does Danny Popp always use super stiff front sway bars in all his setups??? and his cars win!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rustyguns
why does Danny Popp always use super stiff front sway bars in all his setups??? and his cars win!
We are talking about stock class where you can't change the rear bar. If you can change the rear bar then by all means go stiffer all the way around.

BTW it was Danny who suggested the poly font bar bushings on my car when HE set it up, did the corner weight and the alignment. That following weekend at the test session where we both drove the car we agreed that the poly bushings in the front didn't help and just made the car push.... That was on a concrete surface.

There are a lot of things that go into a setup. How much the car pushes can be a big factor of how the diff is set up, what the shocks are and how they are tuned, and what surface you are running on. If your diff is worn, you could easily need more front bar, but for a fresh stock class C5 Z06 with a tight diff, more front only roll stiffness is a waste.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Sway Bar Upgrade

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Upgrade